Brewer Fanatic

Another black eye for Brewer Fans

RyDogg66

Maybe this will open up some eyes and people will see that Brewer fans are no better than Cub fans, and can be worse in some cases.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It is about ALL baseball fans, but it really features Brewer fans being idiots and beating up Cubs fans.

http://insideedition.com/news.aspx?storyId=2955

Deadspin also has it covered:

http://deadspin.com/52659...-people-at-baseball-game

Don't worry, the only type of idiots who watch inside edition are the one's who go to baseball games to get drunk and fight anyway.

But seriously, they should just post this on The Onion Web site.

This fan appears to be passed out ... AND IT'S ONLY THE FIFTH INNING! LOL, take the cameras out the parking lot; there's guys asleep out there that never made past the tailgate party.

I don't agree with the title of this thread.

That story does show some issues that took place in Milwaukee, but it also talks about a severe injury at a Yankees game, and a severe injury at a Mets game. It's more a story about alcohol abuse at baseball games than it is about Brewer fans.

On the topic, I've never gotten bombed at a baseball game, and I've never understood the appeal of doing so. I go to games...to go to games.

I do think it's an issue, I'm not surprised to hear that fights broke out between drunken Brewers and Cubs fans...and I think that's completely ridiculous. I've seen plenty of fans who were so drunk at games, they could barely speak...that's not new, for me, I've seen that going back to the late 70s. I've never understood the appeal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They were at Opening Day weren't they - not a typical game by any means. Still, it doesn't paint a pretty picture.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah I gotta say this story really wasn't about the Brewers it just happened to be at miller park. You see the same thing at summerfest and I saw the same thing at the games I went to when I lived in North Carolina. It is worse on opening day and against big rivals for sure.

Community Moderator

I appreciated this comment on Deadspin:

Thank God Inside Edition informed me of this scourge. I'll now take my children to more refined events, like NFL games.

re: The title of the thread. Of course this is inside edition (I didnt know the show was still produced) but I said it talks about ALL baseball fans, but the fact that MILWAUKEE, Miller Park and BREWER FANS were featured for about half the time does give Brewer fans a bad reputation. The jist of the story is "Drinking and Behavior is a Problem at Ball Games...just look at Milwaukee." That isnt the message I want broadcast to the nation, even if Inside Edition is the medium.

Well it certainly would have been nice if they had included the fact that Cubs fans start fights at Miller park too. I know on opening day at least one Brewer fan got the crap kicked out of him by a van full of Cubs fans after he threw a beer bottle at their car. The story itself kind of makes it look like it is just Brewer fans out of control when it is the fanbase for both teams causing problems.

Well it certainly would have been nice if they had included the fact that Cubs fans start fights at Miller park too. I know on opening day at least one Brewer fan got the crap kicked out of him by a van full of Cubs fans after he threw a beer bottle at their car. The story itself kind of makes it look like it is just Brewer fans out of control when it is the fanbase for both teams causing problems.
Doesn't sound like the Cubs fans were the one's who instigated the fight in this particular incident you describe.

This segment is a joke. 24 citations on opening day against the Cubs? Out of what 44,000 people? So .05% of the people got a citation. It was opening day against our biggest rival and I'm guessing only half of those people were Brewer fans. This happens every where on opening day. I don't know if they still do it but when I was a kid they had kids opening day like a week later. Opening day is not a family event. What makes them think that guy is a die hard Brewers fan? Because he said he is? They needed a story so they created one. Strange that Philadelphia wasn't mentioned. "These gigantic people that weigh 250, 300 pounds" you're not exactly a featherweight either my friend. I personally was shocked that that ladies attorney had harsh words for the people that hurt his client. What a joke.

Doesn't sound like the Cubs fans were the one's who instigated the fight in this particular incident you describe.

True, but the Cubs fans allowed the situation to significantly escalate. In no way does throwing a beer bottle at a car warrant assault.

Inside Edition came to Milwaukee looking for a story. I doubt they developed their story because they received a tip about Miller Park or Milwaukee. The producers probably figured that a rivalry + Opening Day + sold out crowd + a town known for its affinity for alcohol = a story.

True, but the Cubs fans allowed the situation to significantly escalate. In no way does throwing a beer bottle at a car warrant assault

Wouldn't throwing a beer bottle at someone... or his property while he's in it... be assault?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have to admit that if someone threw a beer bottle at my car, I'd have a hard time not assaulting that person.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd be ready to give that person a beatdown, too, but throwing a bottle at a vehicle doesn't justify beating the living crap out of the offender. They should have handled the situation appropriately. Again, I'm not saying either side is worse than the other, but I just don't think you can justify what they did.

INSIDE EDITION saw one fan nearly passed out by the fifth inning and others just staggering around the stadium barely able to walk.

Those weren't fans, those were the Nationals.

That's my favorite comment on Deadspin.

To document Miller Park's problems on Opening Day against the Cubs was a bit much, but doesn't compare to having to read INSIDE EDITION in all caps every other sentence.

What a poor example of "journalism", but what do you expect from a source as reputable as Inside Edition?

I'm sure the stereotype of the city and the name of the Brewers (who are named after the people who brew beer, for those of you playing at home) had a part in them choosing to focus on the Brewers. Go to any opening day that features rivals, and I'm sure you'll find equally as deplorable behavior.

Hell, go to a regular game of any heated rival, such as the Yankees and Red Sox, the Phillies and Mets, and the Giants and Dodgers, and the behavior is much worse.

How quickly it is forgotten how much more of a problem this was in the 70's and 80's, before the 2 drink and 7th inning restrictions went into place; the only deterrent being the two-fister slopper.

this is all second hand so take it for what its worth:

the game in question i believe is the saturday game of the second cubs series. i was talking to an usher friend when leaving that game about the crowd. apparently there was magically a guy with a camera everywhere a fight occurred that night....same guy, same camera.

rumor has it that the camera guy may have been inciting some of the actions that night.

my usher friend was shocked we brought our 3 year old and 9 month old to a saturday cubs game. my section was as tame as tame can get. i also would have had no problem making sure anyone unruly (from either side) was no longer near my kids.

i have noticed the last 3 seasons, fans being more unruly. Miller Park is the place to go and the place to party during the summer. When the team was loosing die hards showed up because they love baseball and that was about it. Wrigley is also a place to go to party, i think this is where the trouble happens. I hightly doubt the hardcores are the ones making the trouble. Its part of the consequences of having a good team.

Archived