Brewer Fanatic

Riske begins rehab assignment; LATEST: Tommy John surgery June 2nd (replies 24 & 32)

sgtcluels

According to Gord Ashs twitter, RHP David Riske will being rehab assignment in Arizona today.

Hopefully he figures it out, he's been one of my biggest disappointments in the bullpen.

(edits: updated title --1992)

Didnt Riske have TJ surguery?

Not yet.

I don't have high hopes for this - when was the last time you heard of rehabbing instead of TJ actually working? If it works, great, but I'd like to see a loooong string of impressive appearances before Riske even sniffs Milwaukee.

Didnt Riske have TJ surguery?

From Adam McCalvy's article on 5/17:

Riske disputed reports from a few weeks ago, including one on MLB.com, that he might have to undergo Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery if rest didn't heal the ligament.

"Surgery was never even in the picture," said Riske, who is having trouble staying patient. "It was just a matter of getting that inflammation to go down."

- when was the last time you heard of rehabbing instead of TJ actually working?

How long would he be out if he has surgery? In this instance it seems to me if he has surgery, he wouldn't be recovered before his 3-year contract with the Brewers would be over. So it is a no-brainer for the Brewers to try rehab and then try rehab again (assuming Riske isn't going to fight for surgery), because if it comes to surgery he (how long for surgery?) will never pitch again for the Brewers.

From Gord Ash's twitter..."rhp david riske reports ongoing elbow pain during his most recent "rehab" outing."

Not good.

Yeah, I saw that as well. Sounds like we should not bet on Riske returning anytime soon to help out the bullpen, not that the bullpen is really a weak spot on this club right now.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This sucks, but at least its an injury at a position where we're strong. The Brewers are 2nd in the NL in bullpen ERA, just like last year. The team also has a number of relievers pitching very well at AAA.

Its odd that he might need TJ surgury when the tendon is just loose, not torn. Very rare injury.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

slightly off topic, but i don't see what everyone has with Julio. The brewers need someone to throw into the first to save their quality arms, he is that. It seems like every year we find someone who isn't pitching great and try to off him off the club. As long as Julio isn't getting innings with the game in doubt, I don't mind him on the team.

Back to the topic at hand, if he does need TJ, you can pretty much kiss his brewers career goodbye. If it typically takes 2 full seasons to recover, i doubt we will see much of him. That being said I hope he figures it out, he was a decent option for us at the beginning of last season.

"slightly off topic, but i don't see what everyone has with Julio. The brewers need someone to throw into the first to save their quality arms, he is that. It seems like every year we find someone who isn't pitching great and try to off him off the club. As long as Julio isn't getting innings with the game in doubt, I don't mind him on the team."

Not sure what you're saying...you mean if he's just eating innings you want him gone, or you want him gone regardless? I'm not quite following what you meant.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Not sure what you're saying...you mean if he's just eating innings you want him gone, or you want him gone regardless? I'm not quite following what you meant.

my point was that you need someone to eat up innings and julio seems to be decent at that. I'd compare him to a Elmer Dessens which everyone dispised but atleast saved the pen on days when you were up or down by a bunch.

my point was that you need someone to eat up innings and julio seems to be decent at that. I'd compare him to a Elmer Dessens which everyone dispised but atleast saved the pen on days when you were up or down by a bunch.

If you're going to have someone mop up innings wouldn't you rather they be good?

If Riske under goes Tommy John surgery his career might very well be over...

It is possible that the Brewers are better off losing him? (I would imagine his contract is insured - if he never pitches for us again we might be able to recoup a bunch of that money)

He might pitch again, but his contract with the Brewers will be over.
Since when did TJ surgury come with a 16 month recovery time? Brewers prospects Mike Jones and Amaury Rivas had TJ surgery in late July of 2007, and both made it back for opening day 2008, and Rivas had a breakout season. Riske's likely return would be next June, and earlier is a possibility.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived