Brewer Fanatic

Hurricane down; Swindle up

sargennm

Just reported during the 540 postgame.

EDIT: On TH blog as well:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/brewers.html

Houston - The Brewers made a player move after the game tonight, returning second baseman Hernan Iribarren to Class AAA Nashville and recalling left-handed reliever R.J. Swindle from that club.

General manager Doug Melvin said with an interleague series coming up in Minnesota, the extra pitcher will be more beneficial than a hitter because you don't hit for the pitchers in AL parks. The Twins also have a lot of potent left-handed hitters and this gives the Brewers a second lefty in the pen with Mitch Stetter.

This move almost guarantees that reserve outfielder Chris Duffy will be cut tomorrow when outfielder Jody Gerut joins the team. The Brewers acquired Gerut earlier today from San Diego for Tony Gwynn Jr.

Duffy is out of options, so he would have to clear waivers to go down to Class AAA Nashville.

how have Swindle's numbers been since his brief appearance in Milwaukee? This was an easy call with Mauer/Morneau in the Twins line up.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

This move almost guarantees that reserve outfielder Chris Duffy will be cut tomorrow when outfielder Jody Gerut joins the team. The Brewers acquired Gerut earlier today from San Diego for Tony Gwynn Jr.

As soon as I saw we landed Gerut, I figured Duffy was on borrowed time. Gerut is basically Duffy but with pop.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As soon as I saw we landed Gerut, I figured Duffy was on borrowed time. Gerut is basically Duffy but with pop.

The funny part of this is that Duffy is basically Gwynn with more pop. This is such a big upgrade over Gwynn that it is highway robbery.

how have Swindle's numbers been since his brief appearance in Milwaukee? This was an easy call with Mauer/Morneau in the Twins line up.
16.2 IP, 17:6 K:BB, 1 HR, 0.55 ERA. 54.8% GB, and doing it against both LH and RH batters.

This guy just needs a decent chance.

I hope Hernan does well in Nashville and gets another chance at some point. This move makes sense though. However, I'm not wild about a 13 man staff, hopefully it won't last for long and it won't come back to bite the Brewers.

So, the Hurricane is now just a tropical depression?

I agree, though. Swindle will be much more useful in a DH-situation than will the extra hitter on the bench. With no double-switches, an extra lefty for matchups will be useful against the Twins. Wonder what'll happen on Monday when it comes to roster moves.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I sure hope this leads to a Julio DFA and a Catallanotto callup.
I'm actually intrigued by Chris Smith, he's been lights out in Nashville. Cat had 2 hits tonight for Huntsville including a 2B and an RBI.

I saw or read someplace that Riske thinks he's ready to start throwing off the mound and then go out for a rehab assignment.. am I the only one that is fine with the current bullpen minus Julio and doesn't really want Riske back?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

No Crew07, you're not. I'd rather just have Riske hang out awhile in the minors to see if he really can be effective again or not. My preference would be to get through the Twinkies series, DFA Julio, and call up Catalanotto. Can he be ready for the bigs that fast? If not, I'm not sure what to do, as I don't want to be stuck with a 13 man staff too long.

Nice to see them making these moves to improve their chances in an interleague series, especially with it being only the isolated three games. I don't think they did anything like this (calling up a DH, adding a pitcher) last year in a similar situation when they had the 3 games at Boston in May last year.

No Crew07, you're not. I'd rather just have Riske hang out awhile in the minors to see if he really can be effective again or not. My preference would be to get through the Twinkies series, DFA Julio, and call up Catalanotto. Can he be ready for the bigs that fast? If not, I'm not sure what to do, as I don't want to be stuck with a 13 man staff too long.
Catalanotto had 40+ AB's in spring training and he's been playing for a week down in ESP so his timing right now is probably ahead of Duffy. I would imagine 10 games in Huntsville at the max would have him ready.

There's a lot of teams with shattered bullpens out there. Julio actually could bring back a body with one or two more scoreless outings. It might be worth waiting just a bit longer.

Have an extra pitcher against the Twins makes sense, we probably don't need any pinch hitters. But I thought they might keep Hurricane so we could have four lefties in the lineup this weekend (Hurricane at 2B, Counsell at 3B, Gamel at DH and Prince). Hall can spend the weekend cleaning up sunflower seeds in the dugout.

I guess that guarantees Chris Duffy will be catching a flight with the Hurricane.

Duffy might not make the trip back to Nash. he could get picked up.

However, I'm not wild about a 13 man staff, hopefully it won't last for long and it won't come back to bite the Brewers.

I think we went with a 13 man staff for an extended period of time last year.

Julio and Seth have both been fine when they throw strikes, but when they don't, they've got hit hard. Seth has been outstanding for weeks now, and Julio could easily find that as well, he looked fine in his 2 frames the other night. They have had no reason to give him important innings, with 6 guys pitching well.

I think we went with a 13 man staff for an extended period of time last year.
Probably. I'm not great at recalling things like that. I do remember that the team went with a 14 man staff at one point, maybe some time in 2007?

I just hope Swindle is able to stick with the Brewers for longer than the weekend. We can use the extra lefty, and he's pitched well enough to earn a spot.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

he looked fine in his 2 frames the other night

I don't know about that, quite a few of his pitches missed the strike zone by feet, not inches. Even the pitches he threw for strikes didn't seem to be hitting the spots they were supposed to.

Archived