Brewer Fanatic

Will anything go right for Washington?

The Nationals have been involved in several uniform snafus this season and the people running things have done a lot of bad gimmicks to appease the fans that have turned out...well bad this season.

Majestic, the supplier of all MLB uniforms, continually issued Nationals players with jerseys misspelling Washington, Nationals and some have not even been stitched up properly leading to numbers falling off the uniforms throughout a given game.

On top of all of that, some employees responsible for creating banners for the stadium have made grammatical errors. Then on CNNSI's Hot Clicks today, the Nationals thought it would be a good idea to shoot sausages wrapped in Nationals' t-shirts into the stands. Yes, that is right... someone in the Nationals promotion office thought that would be a good idea. What better way to make the fans happy than giving them grease soaked shirts with sausages shot out of a cannon?

The link above is by FanIQ explaining some of the Nationals' shortcomings this season. In addition to the promotional mishaps and jersey snafus that continually never should happen, they were involved in: 1) a Latin American signing bonus scandal leading to the resignation/firing of GM Jim Bowden and former pitcher Jose Rijo and 2) the team just can't win on the field.

Even when the Brewers were in depressing times, they still at least got the game promotions right even if it was autograph Fridays featuring the Moutons or something. Makes me wonder if the organization is run by a bunch of 8-year-old elementary school students instead of college graduates educated enough to know how to spell Washington, Nationals or even proofread something that will be read by thousands of local fans and circulated to the millions in America.

Can someone tell me what is going on in Washington?

Sausages wrapped in t-shirts shot into the stands is the greatest idea I've ever heard, and I'm not kidding. How hilarious would it be to devise and carry out that promotion? And the execution was epic - the sausages exploded upon firing, with pieces of bread and meat showering the crowd. That's epic.

Sausages wrapped in t-shirts shot into the stands is the greatest idea I've ever heard, and I'm not kidding. How hilarious would it be to devise and carry out that promotion? And the execution was epic - the sausages exploded upon firing, with pieces of bread and meat showering the crowd. That's epic.
When I was down in Nashville, they were shooting hot dogs into the crowd from cannons. A guy next to me caught one. I asked him how it tasted, and his reply was "like it got shot out of a cannon".

I was in DC for work last week and took in a game vs Phi on Fri night in their club level. Beautiful stadium, awesome sightlines, plenty of "group beer drinking areas

" for those not watching thr game. Not such a great part of town, but easy to access from the Metro. Loks like lotsof development in the area. Majority of fans were from Philly and the Nats fans were very late arriving. I couldn't believe more people don't go just to see the new stadium. Loved the park, I'll go back- but the few people I talked to said the majority of disinterest is due to the poor product on the field. Exhibit A is the Caps- fabulous product and now season tix are sold out for years.

Heh. I'm sure you are allowed to go get onions and other condiments from the stand. Though, it is too bad they could not put your preference of toppings on it before they randomly shoot it into the crowd.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

As for DC, they simply lack a plan.

not sure about the numbers, but I know the names are not put on by Majestic, but rather by local contracted individuals or shops. I assume the numbers are put on by those people as well.

With teams like the Natspos, its a catch 22. By that, I mean as long as they suck, top free agents wont want to go there(unless they become desperate IE Adam Dunn), and until they get top free agents, they wont be able to get good, unless they get some good players out of their farm system, as The Rays did, The Brewers did and the Royals are starting to do, but even then once these players start entering free agency, they cant compete with the big market teams to retain these players.

Heh. I'm sure you are allowed to go get onions and other condiments from the stand. Though, it is too bad they could not put your preference of toppings on it before they randomly shoot it into the crowd.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Or better yet, they could shoot a separate cannon and/or hose with the condiments you request.

I was in DC for work last week and took in a game vs Phi on Fri night in their club level. Beautiful stadium, awesome sightlines, plenty of "group beer drinking areas

" for those not watching thr game. Not such a great part of town, but easy to access from the Metro.

I love the Metro. It's safe, cheap, and easy. One big problem with DC, there is no great part of town. I spent several days there two summers ago, in a swanky hotel a couple blocks from the White House. DC is terrifying at night! And don't walk through any of the city parks...ever...night or day. Everyday I had to walk to a conference a few blocks to the city or civic center, whatever it was. There is a Subway and Starbucks at every corner. I had to literally step over sleeping people on the sidewalk every morning. On the way back in the evening the panhandlers latch onto you and won't let go. It's a disgrace for the capitol of what is supposedly the Greatest Nation in History.

I took the Metro to a Nats game one night in old RFK stadium. It was a lot of fun and the crowd was rocking all night. Once again, though, a scary neighborhood. Best strategy was to stick with the Metro crowd and keep your eyes on the pavement when walking to and from the stadium.

On the positive side, they do have a pretty good offense. 3rd in the league in runs scored/average/obp/slugging.

Best strategy was to stick with the Metro crowd and keep your eyes on the pavement
I would think keeping your head up and alert is the best strategy, anywhere. Eyes on the ground makes you look intimidated, and easily muggable. Head up and alert gives a look of confidence, allowing you to have a better chance of avoiding situation.

Invader3K wrote:

How much is Adam Dunn kicking himself for signing with these clowns right now?

Obviously he wants to win, but I'll bet he isn't kicking himself walking into the bank or standing at the ATM.

Yeah, that is very true. At least he'll set himself up for another comparable payday if he continues to hit well (and assuming the economy is better in a couple years).

Washington just seems to be one of those franchises with no long term game plan. I asked it before, but I really wonder if their ownership and MLB in general is going to regret the move to Washington in a few years time.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The world needs ditch-diggers, too!

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/5d325d94169a7d82abec9ea32470e4e30737e96.pjpg

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived