Brewer Fanatic

TGJ to SD; Jody Gerut to MKE

Invader3K
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yost played the kids through good and bad to give them experience and see how good they could really be. One of the reasons it was time for him to go was because it's time for these guys to earn their playing time. Macha's job is to win this year, not be patient with players and hope they turn around. If Hart or Hall have weaknesses to their game then they should only get opportunities that minimize those weaknesses.

Yeah I would hate having a guy who hits .284 .344 .472 .816 (Gerut vs. RH) over a player who has hit .264 .307 .466 .773 (Hart vs. RH) too! Why would anyone even consider this? I hate giving our team the best chance to win!
Agreed. While I understand Corey Hart is the second coming of Robert Clemente to many around here. When you look at Gerut's numbers against RHP and away from Petco, he not only appears to be an upgrade, but he would appear to be a significant upgrade. Not to mention he has actually demonstrated some decent results as a leadoff hitter. Something this team is in need of. You look at just the last couple years since Gerut came back from injury, and the argument for him taking AB's from Hart becomes more compelling.

To go even one step further, looking at last year, Gerut admittedly had far fewer ABs against them, but he actually hit LHP better than Corey Hart did.

I'm not suggesting throwing him out there every day or anything, but I frankly don't see what Hart is doing to warrant Gerut being strictly relegated to bench duty - especially if Gerut can provide production at lead off.

I don't think we'll see a straight platoon either but let's be real here, Gerut has been better vs RHP than Corey Hart has so far in their careers so it isn't some outlandish idea, Gerut is probably a better fielder as well. I think you have to give Hart a chance to keep developing so it isn't realistic unless he starts to really struggle.

The other part I like about this is when he is in the line-up we have another option in the leadoff spot. I, for one, am not a fan of Hart leading off although we don't have much of a choice unless Counsell is playing
My thoughts exactly. I HATE Hart leading off. I'd love for Gerut to get a few starts for Cam and Hart and leadoff, my main concern is that Counsell is our only leadoff option and can't do it everyday, nice to have another option.

Yeah I would hate having a guy who hits .284 .344 .472 .816 (Gerut vs. RH) over a player who has hit .264 .307 .466 .773 (Hart vs. RH) too! Why would anyone even consider this? I hate giving our team the best chance to win!

I am OK with you disagreeing with me, I am not sure if the blue font gives you the license to be such a jerk about it though.

The problem with your argument is that you are using career stats -- I don't think it is reasonable to use these in comparison with Hart -- first Gerut played in the AL, second, this was before he had his injury which cost him 2006 & 2007.

I believe the more reasonable thing to look at is what the 2 players have done in the last 2 years... I'd go back three years, but Gerut has played 59 games in 2005, 0 in 2006, 0 in 2007, 100 in 2008.

Hart is hitting RHP much better than Gerut is so far this year. (.747 v. .600 OPS)

Now, Gerut did much better against LHP than Hart last year (.826 v. 745), so certainly using 2008 would be some sort of argument, although it was only ~250 ABs.

Why would anyone even consider this?

I would be surprised if the Brewers were considering a straight platoon of Gerut/Hart for the following reasons....

1.) Gerut is 31, Hart is 27. Hart has a better chance to improve.

2.) Hart's trade value would be significantly damaged by platooning him.

3.) Gerut missed most of 2005, all of 2006 & 2007, and missed Sep. 2008.

4.) We are talking about a gain of roughly 40 or so OPS points. Generally platoons require a much bigger difference.

If you think that damaging Hart's trade value is a good risk based on Gerut's 263 2008 ABs, prior to his season ending injury last year -- I would have to disagree with that.

I hope that you can use this as an example of how to present an argument without resorting to the blue font or acting like a jerk.

While I understand Corey Hart is the second coming of Robert Clemente to many around here.

Strawman.

When you look at Gerut's numbers against RHP and away from Petco, he not only appears to be an upgrade, but he would appear to be a significant upgrade

Gerut has a .333 OPS at home so far. It could mean he is struggling, or perhaps his park is somehow hurting him. Gerut had a .789 OPS at home last year -- he has demonstrated the ability to hit in Petco in the past -- so I really don't think the Petco argument holds a lot of water.

You look at just the last couple years since Gerut came back from injury, and the argument for him taking AB's from Hart becomes more compelling.

Gerut was out in 2007 played 0 games

As noted above Gerut hit RHP better in 2008

There is nothing compelling about 2009 to suggest platooning Gerut with Hart/Braun or Cameron.

Gerut may end up hitting RHP better than Hart, I don't think that "significant upgrade" is a phrase I would use, and I don't think you platoon Hart over 260 ABs, especially with a guy that has had a lot of injury concerns.

I think Gerut is way better than TGJ, and Gerut is better than Gerut is currently producing.

I would rather have Gerut available to play all three OF positions than to stick him in a platoon with Hart. He gives us the chance give those guys a breather from time to time without a significant loss in production.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I don't see a full-on platoon happening any time son, but I can imagine Gerut getting a few more starts than Duffy, who never seemed to get those spots like Gross and Kapler did--I'm guessing mostly based on his work at the plate (he seemed to play the field well, but Cam isn't the kinda guy who gets replaced defensively). I, of course, could well be wrong on all accounts.

Anyway, I think it's interesting how this seems to be played in the national press mostly as "Padres deal for Tony Gwynn Jr"...seems to me this is much more about the Brewers trying to pick up Gerut, or at the least, the Pads dumping a little salary. Hard to resist the human-interest aspect of the story, I guess.

Hmm, I got a strike a few years back for calling someone a jerk...I wonder if Brewerfan favorite FTJ will get one as well. I won´t hold my breath. And please get off the pedestal, is it not in the least bit ridiculous that you of all people are complaining about a post that uses heavy sarcasm?

I agree with whoever added the fact about Petco. He put up his solid numbers despite playing half of his games in Petco which is known to hurt players offensive numbers. This has shown up in his home/away splits. He IS a clear upgrade defensively and offensively and fits the role of a lead off hitter (OBP) much better than Hart. And with all of this talk about Hart´s trade value (I don´t see a trade in his near future anyway), but having his numbers suffer by facing every right handed pitcher is not exactly going to enhance his trade value either.

I think the question has to be about where we think Hart's true talent lies. Is he the guy who put up a .278/.320/.504/.824 against RHP in 2007 or the guy who put up a .263/.291/.454/.745 against RHP in 2008. I think he is closer to the 2007 numbers. The problem with using just the numbers with Hart is that he only has 2 full seasons of stats and they are at 2 opposite ends of the spectrum. They give us some indication, but I think there is still a lot of guesswork involved.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

There is nothing compelling about 2009 to suggest platooning Gerut with Hart/Braun or Cameron.

First off, nobody said anything about Cameron or Braun (except you).

Gerut has a .333 OPS at home so far. It could mean he is struggling, or perhaps his park is somehow hurting him. Gerut had a .789 OPS at home last year -- he has demonstrated the ability to hit in Petco in the past -- so I really don't think the Petco argument holds a lot of water.

Well then, that actually strengthens the argument for Gerut taking AB's from Hart. In nearly the exact number of AB's as at home, he has a .920 OPS on the road so far this year, and he was 120 OPS points better on the road in 2008. Care to rethink that? Take Petco out of the mix, and he has an OPS around .912 the last season plus. That compares to Corey Hart's .750-ish over the same period (albiet more AB's). That doesn't even account for LHP vs. RHP. If that is not a significant upgrade, I don't know what is.

As for the numbers at home this year, the numbers from '08 support the argument that the park hurts him, but beyond that, he has had a couple games that would make Bill Hall blush...an 0-6 and an 0-7 (yikes), and without looking too closely, with the bulk of their home games thus far coming against SF, LAD, and PIT, I would venture a guess they have faced a lot of left handed starters at home.

In their last two road trips, he is 13/34 (.382), compared to the last two home stands where he is 4/28 (.143), so clearly as far as the past 3+ weeks go, he is not consistently been struggling - just at home.

Finally, he has had success leading off. The only Brewer that can presently make that claim is Counsell, and unless you want him playing every day, you need to find an alternative. Again, another reason to consider giving him some of Hart's AB's.

As far as Corey's trade value...I guess that ultimatley comes down to what you think the Brewers chances are this year. If they have a chance to go back to the playoffs, I say Corey's trade value be damned, you do what is best to win games, and right now, evidence would seem to suggest a Gerut/Hart platoon is one of those things.

Take Petco out of the mix, and [Gerut] has an OPS around .912 the last season plus.

From the little I've seen him play, Gerut has gone to the plate looking to drive & often elevate the ball. If Miller Park plays as much to the HR as park factors suggest, his approach should fit well for the Crew. A LH Hart really is a decent comparison imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Tonight provides a perfect example...its early, but LHers have been crushing Slowey thus far. Any reason not to go with something along the lines of...

Gerut - RF

Counsell - 2B/3B

Braun - LF

Fielder - 1B

Cameron - CF

Gamel - DH

Hardy - SS

McGeHee 2B/3B

Kendall - C

While the post above is somewhat of a fit in this discussion, note that posts containing full lineups belong in the designated lineup thread. There's no lineup thread designated right now. With Gerut's acquisition, it might be a good time to start one.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived