Brewer Fanatic

TGJ to SD; Jody Gerut to MKE

Invader3K
Verified Member
Hard to fault this one, TGJ was a slap hitting OF with no power, good d, but there just wasn't anywhere for him... I wonder how many Pads eyebrows raised from this deal?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering Catalanatto had shown a lot of signs of wear and I'm not comfortable expecting anything all that significant from his bat anymore (and he's not a defense guy) and no one else has really been producing off the bench this is a near perfect deal. I'm really liking that Doug makes the early move for a clear upgrade (even if it's not as clear as CC).

But yeah, I still think the deal favors the Brewers from a value perspective.

Absolutely. When I heard BA just re-announce the deal on the game broadcast, I just laughed. There were so many TGJ-to-SD proposals started here at BF's forums based soley on, 'He's Tony Gwynn's son!' that I just had sort of adjusted to a reality in which that kind of deal would never happen.

Getting a decent backup for a fringe prospect works out well for the Crew.

Absolutely. Gerut has very real power & should look a lot better away from PetCo. I got a chance to watch Gerut play a lot in Portland last season. This is (imo) an excellent trade for the Brewers. The mere fact that we moved TGJ to a situation that's better for him is impressive, nevermind the fact that we get back a player that instantly becomes our 4th-best OF... AND bats LH.

Again, this is just my opinion, but HUGE tip of the cap to Melvin here. This trade is just great work (even though yes, I know it's a relatively small-time deal).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just realized we got another good fourth outfielder who bats left handed and whose last name starts with G. Gross to Gerut. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

This is certainly a nice move by Melvin. I don't know how many people will care about this, but I remember good things being said about Gerut from his days as an Indian. I thought he had his own blog and had some interesting things to say, but I can't find it right now.

While reading more about Gerut, I found this story about a dispute he had with the Pirates: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...p;fext=.jsp&c_id=pit Man, the Pirates are just an awful organization.

Edit: This originally said Gerut was under control for 2 more years. Corrected because that was wrong.

Well everybody who said Gross was replaceable was right. It only took a year to get a guy to replace him.

Good luck to TGJ. He at the very least should get a chance to show what he can do. I doubt he would ever get that chance with us.

I almost get the feeling that Melvin was hanging onto TGJ just so he could trade him to the Padres. Where else would he have ended up?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This makes me a little sad, in my irrational old man kinda way. I always wanted Gwynn to do well with the crew. I can't help but root for likeable guys who display good character. Best of luck to you, young Mr. Gwynn.

Amen.

Great deal for Melvin. And if it's true that they have Gerut for two more years that is a plus. We just upgraded the bench significantly, and if Gerut can come anywhere near his road splits it will be fantastic. My guess is that Gerut gets at least two starts a week to either give any of the three a day off or start for Hart against tough righties.

I should stop posting when I'm tired. Gerut is under control through 2010. It was definitely a mistake to say he will be controlled for two more years, when it was already noted that he will be under club control through next year.

At this point I'd be all for a straight platoon--Gerut/Hart in RF, Casey/Craig at 2B, and Gamel/Hall at 3B.

As pointed out, and to be redundant--friga-tific awesome trade Mel Man!

Gwynn drew a walk in the bottom of the 9th with a man on 2nd and the Padres down 1 in his first PA with San Diego. He's currently on 3rd, representing the winning run.

edit: and Scott Hairston just drove him in for the win. Nice way for TGJ to start his San Diego career.

I'm going to go ahead and give Doug Melvin some props for another reason. Melvin has been known as a GM who likes to let guys go if they may have a better career opportunity somewhere else.

I think this is an important part of Melvin as a GM and it says tremendous things about our organization. Being willing to give players the chance to succeed, even if that means sending them to another organization, can only benefit the Brewers in the future. I also think I remember Melvin talking about releasing some veterans early in spring so they had a chance to catch on with another team. I think that is a good thing.

There were so many TGJ-to-SD proposals started here at BF's forums based soley on, 'He's Tony Gwynn's son!' that I just had sort of adjusted to a reality in which that kind of deal would never happen.

I wonder, in the history of brewerfan, who was the closest to TGJ for Gerut?

Gwynn drew a walk in the bottom of the 9th with a man on 2nd and the Padres down 1 in his first PA with San Diego. He's currently on 3rd, representing the winning run.

edit: and Scott Hairston just drove him in for the win. Nice way for TGJ to start his San Diego career.

Yeah, I was upset that I missed his plate appearance, but I'm glad I saw him score

Biggest moment for him in a long while.

I saw him play there (for the Brewers of course) in May '07, and they gave him a sustained applause during the intros and his first AB even thn

Should be interesting to see how long this honeymoon lasts, although they're not particularly known for being a tough crowd down that way

Great to see Gwynn score the game winning run, great to see him get his chance, his shot. It wasn't ever coming with the Crew. This kind of trade is great for the karma of a baseball team, unless Hoffman has to face Gwynn with the playoffs on the line. :|

Trading Gwynn for Gerut was a real steal. Gerut has to be pinching himself, trading Petco for Miller.

Doug Melvin strikes again!

At this point I'd be all for a straight platoon--Gerut/Hart in RF,

I like the Gerut trade a lot -- but I would hate to see this platoon, and I cannot believe it is even being considered. I think Gerut gives us a better 4th OF option, nothing more, nothing less.

Casey/Craig at 2B,

This would also make me cringe. Counsell would effectively become a starter, and that is not cool either. Counsell should only be getting 2/3 starts a week and some PH work -- he is not platoonable at this point in his career -- I suspect we will see a move like last year to address 2b.

That was great to see TGJ get that ovation and get to score that run last night in SD. Great trade for us...and a great story for Tony. Great point too liveforoctober...TGJ's solid play down in Nashville made this trade possible.

As for a Hart platoon...not a chance. One spot start per week max (every other week between Cam & Hart to keep them fresh) with a better bat off the bench. Let's not get carried away with the platoon stuff here. Corey will be just fine.

At this point I'd be all for a straight platoon--Gerut/Hart in RF,

I like the Gerut trade a lot -- but I would hate to see this platoon, and I cannot believe it is even being considered. I think Gerut gives us a better 4th OF option, nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah I would hate having a guy who hits .284 .344 .472 .816 (Gerut vs. RH) over a player who has hit .264 .307 .466 .773 (Hart vs. RH) too! Why would anyone even consider this? I hate giving our team the best chance to win!

Corey's May is very closely resembling his September '08. I'm all for giving Gerut some starts in RF if he can't turn it around.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived