Brewer Fanatic

TGJ to SD; Jody Gerut to MKE

Invader3K

I'm just glad we play the Pads in the middle of the year...I'd hate to have Hoffman on the mound against him with the playoffs on the line in game 162!

If you go on the San Diego Union-Tribune website...the big story is Gwynn coming to town. The stories on the Peavy deal & how well Hoffman is doing are smaller right next to them. They need some decent PR and they save a little money. Glad DM could oblige them.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good deal for the Crew. TGJ deserves a shot to play too so it works out for all sides. That said, what's the over/under on Tony hitting the ball to the wall on the fly in Petco Park? My guess is 2 and I feel I am being generous.

The more I see of the trade I am more comfortable than my initial glance, thanks for the comments on his defense. It sounds as if he is a viable leadoff option against RH pitchers, especially if Hart is given some days off. Everyone has been waiting for Hart to rebound since last July so maybe this move can provide some days off or at least some alternative to Hart vs. RH pitchers occasionally.

what's the over/under on Tony hitting the ball to the wall on the fly in Petco Park? My guess is 2 and I feel I am being generous.

I'm not a betting man, but I would take the under on that one.

That said, what's the over/under on Tony hitting the ball to the wall on the fly in Petco Park?

Does batting practice count?

Really though, I'm happy for him and I hope it works out.

If you go on the San Diego Union-Tribune website...the big story is Gwynn coming to town. The stories on the Peavy deal & how well Hoffman is doing are smaller right next to them. They need some decent PR and they save a little money. Glad DM could oblige them.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres

Even if Gerut doesn't do much for the Brewers, trades like this can only make me smile. I just remember all those years where the Brewers were on the other ends of trades like this. Hoping that someone's cast off 26-year-old prospect would turn into something great down the road. It makes this last month seem that much sweeter.

This makes me a little sad, in my irrational old man kinda way. I always wanted Gwynn to do well with the crew. I can't help but root for likeable guys who display good character. Best of luck to you, young Mr. Gwynn.

Ditto, but we could use Gerut more than TGJ. He's a AAAA player for us, but he has a chance at getting legitimate PT in SD.

After EVERY TEAM passed on adding Tony Gwynn to their roster this spring - this move is amazing.

Stealing Koskie will probably be Melvin's best trade, but this was highway robbery.

I loved Tony Gwynn the person. I hated Tony Gwynn the player. Best of luck to him.

Ditto, but we could use Gerut more than TGJ. He's a AAAA player for us, but he has a chance at getting legitimate PT in SD.

Gwynn hasn't ever proven to be a AAAA player. He's barely even proven himself to be a AAA player. This is his 4th year in AAA and his OPS isn't even above .800.

After EVERY TEAM passed on adding Tony Gwynn to their roster this spring - this move is amazing.
TGJ was worth more to organizations AFTER he made it to AAA. Now, the Pads have until the end of the year to cut him loose or add him to the 40-man.

But yeah, I still think the deal favors the Brewers from a value perspective.

Plus Gerut has to feel good for just getting out of that mess in San Diego.

Not only that, but he gets to go to a first place team, and a hitters ball park?!?!?

He's gotta be excited.

...and it's infinitely closer to where he's from (suburban Chicago) than San Diego was. That's a plus. (Then again, S Cal vs SE WI....)
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

according to jsonline, he is going up to the bigs

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/45766252.html

Melvin said he talked to Gwynn and wished him well in San Diego, where his father had a Hall of Fame career.

"I said, 'This is a good thing for you,'" said Melvin. "He's going right to the big leagues. He was appreciative.

This is no surprise. The Padres are looking for anything that will help ticket sales. Trading for Gwynn and sending him to AAA would make no sense to me. I don't think the Pads are all that concerned about whether Gwynn is of major league caliber. It's about the revenue that he will help generate. I kinda feel bad for Gwynn he has almost no chance of living up to the hype in SD.

I absolutely love this deal. Gwynn gets a shot at the bigs, we don't have to give him that shot, and we somehow managed a pretty good OF out of it. Not to mention the (hopefully) end of the constant debate about how valuable Gwynn is. Congratulations Pads forums, you've just added another debate that no one will agree on.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived