Brewer Fanatic

TGJ to SD; Jody Gerut to MKE

Invader3K
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to even bring this up, but because this deal will cost the Brewers $1 million+, could this be a sign that Corey Hart's playing time will get cut back a little? Cameron and Braun have been great, Corey... well, he hasn't been. Last year they docked Weeks when he wasn't hitting up to par, could the same happen to Corey?

I no question could see Gerut getting a few starts vs righties if Hart goes in funks at the plate, especially if Gerut produces when given at bats.

For those that don't know much about Jody, his last name is indeed pronounced "Garrett". I for some dumb reason, before I heard his name a few years back a bit, read it as "Jer-rooo". I guess our Canadien management might like my pronounciation better, but it is pronounced "Garrett" in reality.

could this be a sign that Corey Hart's playing time will get cut back a little?

If it does, would that be such a bad thing? Considering how much he fell off the table at the end of last year.

Gerut can give Corey at least one day off a week, you won't loose much, and hopefully gain a stronger Corey in September.

Anyone know what kind of defensive player he is?

Above average defense, above average arm, and can play all three OF positions.

Does anyone know what kind of speed Jody has?

Also above average. I'd say his speed is about the same as Cameron.

If it does, would that be such a bad thing?

Not necessarily. Corey has been a disappointment. I've been wondering lately if Gamel might be ticketed to rightfield next year if he is unable to make it at 3rd (I obviously hope he can stay at 3rd). Of course, there are no guarantees that Gamel will be even as good as Corey is.

Gerut's career line vs RHP is .284/.344/.472/.816 and he can play CF.

His career numbers against LHP are not pretty, however last year in 68 PA's:

.308/.338/.585/.923

Even if that was a fluke year for him, when would the Crew actually need him to bat against LHP anyway?

Seems to me there could and perhaps should be a RF/lead off platoon in the offing here, although, the samples are by no means the same, Gerut actually seems to be a bit better against LHP recently. One could probably actually make the argument that Gert is a better option out there and leading off right now.

Corey Hart has really not done much to warrant keeping the every day RF job...funny because there were comments in another thread earlier just this morning about why nobody talks about benching Corey Hart, and the answer was obviously that there were no better alternatives. Not sure that will necessarily be true anymore.

Gonna be interesting to watch what happens with this.

I think knocking the Padres out of a certain playoff spot will probably be his Milwaukee legacy, but for what it's worth, I'll remember him positively for hitting that sac fly to score Counsell in the 10th last year on Opening Day at Wrigley after the Gagne implosion.
You've got that right, Rev. Tip of the cap to TGJ, and best of luck as well.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Thanks for the vs LHP lines guys.

Should be interesting indeed. I have never been a huge Hart supporter. Mainly because of the way he can get lackadaisical in RF on getting to balls down in the corner or gap and how he sets up poorly behind fly balls on tag up situations. And his struggles last sept/oct at the plate did not help my view on him although we really had no other options at the time.

Gerut missed parts of many seasons because of knee injuries. I am not sure if it was the same knee, and I don't feel like looking it up. The last procedure on his right knee was thought to be career-ending.

Gerut on the road:

2008 .296/.363/.546 909 OPS

2009 .310/.333/.586 919 OPS

at Petco:

2008 .295/.340/.449 789 OPS

2009 .130/.167/.167 334 OPS

Petco is not a fun place for a hitter. He's certainly good insurance if an outfielder gets hurt and a very good option if the Brewers feel they need to platoon Hart against right-handed pitchers. It certainly looks like a good trade.

Plus Gerut has to feel good for just getting out of that mess in San Diego.

Not only that, but he gets to go to a first place team, and a hitters ball park?!?!?

He's gotta be excited.

Gerut is a better defensive OF than Hart and he has better career numbers vs RHP than Cameron or Hart. This is going to be a meaningful upgrade to the team, especially if Macha starts to give Cameron and Hart more days off as we get deeper into the season. If Hart hits a total funk again we even have a legit platoon now.

Plus Gerut has to feel good for just getting out of that mess in San Diego.

Not only that, but he gets to go to a first place team, and a hitters ball park?!?!?

He's gotta be excited.

And Gerut deserves this too. The guys was almost maimed by that leg injury he had earlier in his career. You can never have too many guys that truly appreciate the opportunity they're getting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'm going to go ahead and give Doug Melvin some props for another reason. Melvin has been known as a GM who likes to let guys go if they may have a better career opportunity somewhere else. In this case... obviously Tony Gwynn wasn't going to be a getting much of a major league chance from this point on in Milwaukee... and if there was a place he would feel most comfortable going... it was obviously San Diego. Considering he is going to be able to get major league playing time from the get go... it's great.

Also, I read that he got the news he was traded from his father on the phone. I thought that was cool.

Archived