Brewer Fanatic

TGJ to SD; Jody Gerut to MKE

Invader3K
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hurricane will go down now, then Duffy will follow in a week or so when The Cat is ready.

If they wanted to bring up Swindle to help neutralize the M & M boys, they could just send out both Duffy and Hurricane. They won't need a full compliment of pinch hitters with a DH in the lineup.

Yes, I think it is possible that Hurrican and Duffy both go before the game tomorrow night, and Swindle and Gerut come to Milwaukee. Then, whenever The Cat is ready, Swindle goes back down. Sounds simple enough to me.
Yeah, the Brewers aren't going to need as many pinch hitters during the series in Minnesota, so they might carry Swindle as a LOOGY. Then, swap Catalanatto for Swindle.

This makes me a little sad, in my irrational old man kinda way. I always wanted Gwynn to do well with the crew. I can't help but root for likeable guys who display good character. Best of luck to you, young Mr. Gwynn.

endaround wrote:
It is a nice deal. Gerut is a legitimate candidate to start in CF next season depending on if he can turn it around
Yostinfection wrote:

Really? You're that high on him? I need to look at this guy's career stats a little bit more closely.

His career OPS is 775, well above the average CF, and career UZR in CF says he plays that position very well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

This makes me a little sad, in my irrational old man kinda way. I always wanted Gwynn to do well with the crew. I can't help but root for likeable guys who display good character. Best of luck to you, young Mr. Gwynn.
I think knocking the Padres out of a certain playoff spot will probably be his Milwaukee legacy, but for what it's worth, I'll remember him positively for hitting that sac fly to score Counsell in the 10th last year on Opening Day at Wrigley after the Gagne implosion.

Hey, it's the little things!

(And how over the moon must TGS be?)

This is the type of trade that makes Melvin so good IMO. He gets a serviceable player for marginal prospects. It's kind of like when he got Shouse for Cruz. He got a much needed loogy who pitched for us a couple years for a rule 5 shortstop who would never make the big league roster in Milwaukee.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Gord Ash's twitter account name is brewerash (Haudricourt's is js_brewers). However, you need permission to follow Gord. The good news is he is not too picky on who follows him. I just received clearance to follow him after requesting it 20 minutes ago.

On another note, I just decided to register my phone w/ Twitter to get Brewer text updates. However, I am still waiting to receive the text saying the transaction was complete.

Again, LOVE this deal!!

Jody Gerut is a nice player, who is just starting out slow this year.

Above average on defense and has an above average arm.

Has some pop in his bat, and is a lefty stick.

Can play all three OF positions and a guy you can put out there to give Cam and Corey a rest once a week and not loose much if anything at all.

While TGJ is nothing more than a 5th OF or, if he's a starter, it's on a last place team.

I hate to even bring this up, but because this deal will cost the Brewers $1 million+, could this be a sign that Corey Hart's playing time will get cut back a little? Cameron and Braun have been great, Corey... well, he hasn't been. Last year they docked Weeks when he wasn't hitting up to par, could the same happen to Corey?

Gerut's career line vs RHP is .284/.344/.472/.816 and he can play CF. I don't see what is not to like about this. He would be an upgrade over Kapler or Gross and most wanted one of those two back this year.

His career OPS is 775, well above the average CF, and career UZR in CF says he plays that position very well.
Plus, he should be quite cheap. Cheap enough to bring back for another year of 4th OF duty if a better alternative can be found in CF. By my count he's got one more arb year left before FA, and he probably won't be able to get much (if anything) of a raise on the $1.8 mil he's making this year. The atrocious numbers he's posted the first 1/4 of the season in SD, especially considering how little playing time he'll likely get here, will be quite the drag on his final numbers even if he hits like a madman here.

Gerut has primarily batted lead off in the past couple years with pretty good success - especially away from Petco. Not jumping to any conclusions about Hart, but I find that very interesting. Anyone know what kind of defensive player he is?

Archived