Brewer Fanatic

TGJ to SD; Jody Gerut to MKE

Invader3K
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerut had an 845 OPS in 328 ABs last season. He is the back-up we need. He plays all 3 spots. His career was sidetracked by injury for a few years, but he's done some very nice things at times.

The Padres could have picked up Gwynn on waivers, but now are just looking to cut slary. Gerut makes $1.7 million this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Lateral at best move. Nothing to see here. Hopefully it's something else.
No way this is lateral at best. Gerut has hit major league pitching, unlike Gwynn. He is having rough stat year aided by an almost unthinkinable BAbip and playing at Petco. At worst a lateral move, at best a very good move.

Gwynn for Gerut is not an earth-shattering move, but I think it's a very good one. The bench has been a bit of a weakness this year outside of Counsel, and adding Gerut in exchange for someone I have a hard time seeing ever becoming a legitimate major-league hitter is a positive.
I am not Shea Vucinich

so assuming it is Gerut... and assuming he stays on the big leugue club... are we assuming Duffy is the unlucky casualty, replacing Gwynn in AAA?
I was thinking the Hurricane gets a ticket back to Nashville with an OF glove as a parting gift.

No this very well could mean Catalanotto never gets to Milwaukee
It just depends on if Cat looks like a better option than Iribarren.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Gerut is an upgrade over Duffy who's likely odd man out. He's off to a slow start this year, but he was really pretty good last year and he's batted leadoff before. Duffy needs to play in minors after sitting out most of 08 with injury.

I think the recent slump by Hart prompted this deal. Gerut is at least a viable option to allow Macha to give Hart some days off. No doubt Gwynn's good start at Nashville rehabilitated his trade value.

Well, Gerut over Duffy and/or Catalanotto aside (and I'll take it), it does seem like destiny has finally been fulfilled with TGJ in a Padres uniform. I wonder how Prince is gonna deal.

Let's hope TGJ doesn't repay Padres fans and relive his Hoffman dagger a la '07 this August.

so assuming it is Gerut... and assuming he stays on the big leugue club... are we assuming Duffy is the unlucky casualty, replacing Gwynn in AAA? Or have we seen the last of Julio?

My guess is that Hurricane goes back down. It was only one game but maybe they feel confident in McGehee at 2nd platooning with Counsell, keeping Gamel and Hall the platoon at 3rd.

So the Padres didn't want to pick up TGJ off of waivers when he was sent down, now they do AND they throw in a soild backup OF?

More kind and generous than Natalie Merchant, those Padres.

The difference now is that they Padres don't need to spend a 40-man roster spot on him until the end of the year.

Kind of a "meh" move for me. Still don't have a viable lead off hitter w/o Weeks and questions about 2B. Gerut will be an upgrade over Duffy if he hits like 2008 but he has some pretty awful years spread around in his past as well. (edit - - I take that back, looking at the "years that looked awful was really just some limited AB's while playing for 4 different teams in one year.)

One question if anyone knows but where was Gerut in 2006 & 2007 he doesn't have any ML or minor league stats for those 2 seasons was he hurt for 2 years?

Archived