Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy to the Southsiders? [Latest: Peavy vetoed the deal]

crackley

Just to be clear on Peavy... career road stats

ERA: 3.82

K/9: 8.3

BB/9: 3.3

I'm not trying to say he's not a very good pitcher -- obviously a guy that's a career sub-4 ERA with those K/9 & BB/9 rates carries termendous value. However, I think it's important to keep in mind that the following pitcher

ERA: 2.81

K/9: 9.6

BB/9: 2.6

will remain a ghost of PetCo Park, never to be seen again once Peavy moves on. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

EDIT: And, fwiw, when I hear that Peavy says he wants to play in 'middle America', while I do think of the Brewers, I also think Cards. I don't say 'Cubs', since I think it's been discussed at length in the Transactions forum that the Cubs realistically just don't have the prospects to net Peavy. Hopefully that remains true.

Peavy's a southern boy (born in Mobile, AL), so maybe he'd be ok with the Rangers or even the Braves... though I think all he may have meant in saying that was that he doesn't want to play in NY or LA.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be funny if Peavy beats the Cubs on Friday, then gets traded to the Cubs at some point this season and they miss the playoffs by one game.
That would be the sweetest kind of poetry, and justice.

My question is, what MLB ready pitching do the Cubs have? What prospects do the Cubs have to offer period, besides Vitters? The Cubs have nowhere near the prospects the Sox had to pull this deal off IMHO.
Follow me on Twitter

I don't care if Ozzie got them a ring...this is the beginning of the end for him.
I think the beginning started a little while ago...he's probably speeding towards the end by now, especially if the rumors that part of the reason why Peavy shot down the trade is because he wouldn't be comfortable playing for Ozzie Guillen. Judging by the way Guillen's belittled his pitchers during mound visits in the past, I can't say that would surprise me.

Part of my (most likely the cynical part) thinks that Kenny Williams hasn't fired him yet because he knows that as soon as Ozzie's gone, the blame goes to him if the team still can't win. And he probably knows as well as anyone that his team is a long way from repeating any of the success they had in 2005.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I really like your points in that post, crewcrazy.

I think the beginning started a little while ago...he's probably speeding towards the end by now, especially if the rumors that part of the reason why Peavy shot down the trade is because he wouldn't be comfortable playing for Ozzie Guillen. Judging by the way Guillen's belittled his pitchers during mound visits in the past, I can't say that would surprise me.

I can't even begin to fathom why anyone wouldn't want to work for someone with Guillen's management style. If I make a mistake at work, my boss berates me in public & I love it!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Part of my (most likely the cynical part) thinks that Kenny Williams hasn't fired him yet because he knows that as soon as Ozzie's gone, the blame goes to him if the team still can't win. And he probably knows as well as anyone that his team is a long way from repeating any of the success they had in 2005.

Williams shouldn't be in jeopardy with an average of 87.5 wins over four years, a division title in '08 and a history of rebuilding in one off-season. If gm's were judged by the standard of Williams' '05 (wire to wire and 11 of 12) there could be 30 openings annually. With the ill-fated trade Williams might have seen a staff with Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd and Jenks as successful. He's traded away a lot of young players but not a lot of young talent, and has shown the ability to make something out of the salary space that will be opening up.

With Harden going down for the Cubs, I kind of hope Melvin is at least talking to Towers about Peavy. I really don't want to see the Cubs try to get him to replace Harden this season. I know the Cubs probably don't have the right package to get a deal done, but you never know. They always seem to luck into good trades.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If the Padres absolutely want to unload Peavy's contract, I'm really thinking they are screwed and will end up having to settle for a weaker package than what the White Sox offered. Based on Peavy's demands (Wants to play for a playoff contender, stay in the NL, stay out west or the midwest) and the fact that I doubt the Padres would trade Peavy within their division, the only teams that would work are the Cubs, Brewers, Cardinals, Reds and maybe the Braves (just because he's an southern boy).

Do any of these teams have the pitching that the Padres are after? I know the Braves have a good farm system, but they are no way gonna give up Hanson. Do they have any other pieces to part with? And the bigger question is do they even want Peavy? I don't think the Reds have anything to offer and I seriously doubt they would or can take on that much salary. I know nothing about the Cardinals prospects. But to me the Cardinals could really use him. How interested are they? It's no secret the Cubs want him bad, but they have nothing to offer.

The Brewers don't have the pitching prospects, but they do have a good number of positional prospects. Last time I checked, the Padres lineup is terrible except for 1B. They need everything. I think we can put together a fair package for Peavy that wouldn't sell the farm yet would still beat what any other team offers.

It seems that Peavy is gonna end up someplace. And it's probably gonna be in our division. Personally, I'd be a bit scared as to how well he'd pitch outside of Petco and shy away. But I really think we will have to make a move if he goes to the Cubs or Cardinals. Looks like Toronto won't be moving Halladay. If I were Melvin, I'd be talking to the D-Backs feeling them out about Dan Haren. He's the guy I really want us to go after. I just don't feel comfortable with the rotation to get us to the promised land. We need another stud. I'm not expecting another Sabathia, but at least another solid #1 or #2. Who might be available? I'm thinking Haren, Webb, Lee, Cook. Anyone else?

Trading Webb or Haren means the DBacks are giving up not just on this year but next year as well, just don't see that happening. Same thing with the Indians moving Lee. They thought they would compete this year. Cook has 2 years after this one so the Rockies would be giving up the future as well.

You really have Bedard, maybe Buerhle but his contract has a poison pill for trades,Randy Johnson, Josh Johnson perhaps, Oswalt if the Astros finally decide to rip it down,

Oswalt is intriguing, but I don't get the feeling the Astros will be willing to throw in the towel and go into rebuild mode right now. He is also getting paid in that $15-16 million range over the next three seasons, so that might dissuade Milwaukee from trying to get him. Houston probably doesn't want to trade him within the division, either.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived