Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy to the Southsiders? [Latest: Peavy vetoed the deal]

crackley
The Brewers aren't gonna overpay for him

The Cubs don't get him (and their fans have to watch him pitch for their in-town rival)

He's in the AL

Yeah, outside the Brewers getting him in a steal, this worked out as well as it could've in my opinion

I agree with this, only in the reverse. My biggest fear was that the Brewers or Cards were going to get Peavy. However, at this point most signs are pointing to Peavy rejecting the deal.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My heart jumped into my through when I saw the title of the thread and forgot which side of town the cubs play on. I'm ok with the Sox getting him.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Probably should downgrade this to the rumor thread:

It's unlikely the Padres will trade ace pitcher Jake Peavy to the Chicago White Sox ... .

It's far more likely that Peavy will start for the Padres on Friday against the Chicago Cubs at Petco Park, according to people close to the pitcher.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/may/21/padres-peavy-deal-white-sox-not-imminent-9274/?padres

I actually like this. While I would have loved Peavy on the Brewers _this year_, the long term commitment would have been really tough for them as a franchise. As long as he's not going somewhere in the NL Central, and especially out of the league, I'm happy.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm a little more disappointed then a lot here seem to be. Jake Peavy is only 27 years old and is signed for 3 more years. He is an elite pitcher. I was initially a little hesitant to give up Escobar and Jeffress, but neither one is exactly making claim for minor league player of the year this season. If we could have gotten Peavy for Escobar, Jeffress, and Zach Braddock, I would have done it in a heartbeat. Obviously you'd have to extend Hardy maybe at 4 years, $45 million. But can you imagine a rotation for the next three years of Peavy, Gallardo, and Parra, with hopefully Bush at 4? Prince is here 2 more years, Hardy would be here for 4, Braun for like 6. Gamel would be here. Cain and Salome and Green hopefully within 2 years. Gillespie and Lawrie, Lucroy and Gindl. We'd still have plenty.

You clear up tons of salary within 2 years (Cameron, Suppan, Kendall, Hall, Hoffman, Riske) which would help offset costs. Yeah you'd have to raise the payroll to cover the contracts to Peavy and Hardy and raises to Fielder and Weeks but you really wouldn't need to spend a ton on free agents as just about every position would either have an incumbant or a prospect. If this deal falls through, I hope Melvin contacts San Diego.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?id=4191562

That is making it sound like this is far from a done deal. Says Peavy would prefer to stay in the NL (which is probably smart on his part). It could just be a ploy to get the ChiSox to pick up his final year option, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Just curious, but who in the Brewers minor league system would be equivalent to Poreda and Richard?
Poreda... no one at this time. We have no projectable pitcher pitching well in AA or higher. He walks a few too many for my tastes but he's getting good results and is LH.

Richard... he's not a prospect, he's got MLB experience. Parra blows his stuff away, he's a step down from Parra stuff wise, we really don't have a comparable pitcher to him either.

The point this trade highlights at least in my opinion, is that most anyone who's looking to trade a top end arm near FA is looking for pitching coming back, and the truth is the Brewers don't have pitching to spare. We need the right deal at the time to acquire pitching for hitting only. Yo and Parra aren't going anywhere, and we don't have any projectable pitching prospects above A ball at this point in time.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If I was Peavy I don't know that I would have accepted the trade either. The money will be there no matter what but IMO the Sox are going no where fast. Their offense is getting pretty old with Dye, Konerko, Thome, and AJ. The Chi Sox probably have a 2 year window left at best. If I am Peavy, I would ask myself if I would want to be on the Sox when they suck, because he is already on a sucky team but at least he has called it home for forever.

Now if a team like the Brewers were to acquire him and he sees that we have a never ending spicket of talent than maybe he would sign off on the trade http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

This is not a good thing for the Crew. I hope he stays in SD...I fear he will be with the Cubs by the All-Star break.

There is no chance he winds up with the Brewers, nor am I sure tying up so much of our payroll to him makes sense. If the Pads took Hall & Suppan as part of the deal maybe, but I don't see that happening.

They should take this oppurtunity and go get him. Escobar, Jeffress, and Braddock/Anundson/anyone else. Let's face it, even if Jeffress does pan out, at this rate you won't be able to count on him for another 3 years probably. Escobar, yeah I hate to lose him but its not like you don't have another option. Peavy and Gallardo at the top of the rotation have the potential to be as good as or better than a healthy CC and Sheets combo was, and you'll have it for 3 years at least. Throw in Parra and Bush and with this offense you'll be in the middle of the playoff run for years to come. The salary will be an issue, but so what. Its an extra $15 million per year. If he doesn't want to come to Milwaukee....so be it, at least you tried. But he is an elite pitcher who could really put us over the top.

They should take this oppurtunity and go get him. Escobar, Jeffress, and Braddock/Anundson/anyone else.
Apparently you missed the part where SD was getting a MLB ready pitcher who's a lefty and has decent stuff plus a top prospect who's also a lefty, projectable and pitching very well in AA.

What pitcher do the Brewers have to offer that is in AA, projectable, and pitching very well? Outside of Jeffress our best pitching prospects are 3 years away from being ready, and Jeffress wasn't throwing strikes in AA. Do you really think the Brewers will jettison Parra in a Peavy deal? Is the difference between those 2 in performance worth the 15 million per year? How do the Brewers afford Peavy's contract and sign the core players to extensions?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Yeah honestly this is probably bad news for Brewers fans...

Him not going to the White Sox allows another chance of a trade to the Cubs or another contender in the NL.

I really doubt he is coming to Milwaukee.

Can the Padres just pitch Peavy every day until him arm falls off and then collect insurance money so they effectively don't have to pay him? No team that he wants to go to is going to give up talent for him, and he won't go to any team that will offer anything. The Padres are screwed either way.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived