Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy to the Southsiders? [Latest: Peavy vetoed the deal]

crackley

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This pleases me on a variety of different levels... most of which the Peavy thread in the transaction forum can die if this true.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

hopefully we miss him when we play the Sox in interleague. it'll be interesting to see how he fairs moving from Petco to the Cell.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

The real question is how high does Peavys ERA go now that he isn't pitching half of his starts in an extremely hitter friendly ballpark, and he has to deal with the DH. Does Peavy regress into a 3.75 - 4.00 ERA pitcher? His career Home era is 2.8 and away is 3.8.

This seems premature. There have been many guys who have turned down deals when they have no trade clauses, including a Padre last season (Brian Giles, apparently San Diego is a nice place to live). I hope it happens, I enjoy trades, but I'm not sure it will.

I agree that the White Sox overpaid big time. Kenny Williams is probably looking for ticket sales/revenue and sees that the AL Central is wide open this year because none of the teams are separating themselves from the rest of the division. It could take the White Sox to the playoffs as they are 5.5 games out, but I still agree that it really mortgages the future and the switch to the AL is at least .25 ERA if not worse on Peavy's projections.

Very good outcome for the Brewers. The Cubs may have the dough, but their lack of prospects really hurts their ability to make a deal.

Yeah, this was really a good thread to see. And, while I was relatively confident that the Cubs didn't have the firepower to land Peavy, as others have already mentioned am I glad to see he didn't wind up with the Mets, or Phils, or Cards, or Dodgers, etc.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Why empty the farm system for Peavy? He's going to the AL and swinging the pendulum from a pitcher's park to a hitter's park. He's an upgrade, but I think fans are going to be disappointed.

Empty the farm system of what? Players? To Kenny Williams they are not players. They are Kenny Dollars.

Kenny Williams is not happy making a trade unless it's a huge trade. Padres want prospects and Kenny will throw them all at San Diego if it means getting that big player.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This is not a done deal. Peavy still has to approve. He talked with Linebrink last night about the situation in Sox land (i.e. is Ozzie really insane?)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

A bit surprising the White Sox didn't need to give up Gordan Beckham. Depending on the other two players aside from Richard and Poreda, it might not be too bad.
Could they even trade Beckham right now? Wasn't he was drafted last year? Obviously, reports are saying he is not part of this deal but he would have to be a PTBNL in the deal.

To me at least, it seems ESPN has really been jumping the gun on reporting trades/transactions this past year or two even moreso than is normal for that conglomerate. I can't remember precisely, but there was a rumor of a coach taking a job (iirc the U of AZ hoops gig... maybe Tim Floyd?). The coach had apparently traveled to the campus of said 'new' job, and ESPN busted out, reporting that this was a done deal, complete with 'expert analysis' on the move.

The next day, after it became abundantly clear that the visiting coach had done just that -- visited -- and not actually taken the job, ESPN didn't even retract their incorrect report. It was framed in this manner: '[Coach] pulls a 180, changes mind & stays put'... when it clearly was 'Shoddy reporting makes network look bad once again'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Brewers aren't gonna overpay for him

The Cubs don't get him (and their fans have to watch him pitch for their in-town rival)

He's in the AL

Yeah, outside the Brewers getting him in a steal, this worked out as well as it could've in my opinion

A bit surprising the White Sox didn't need to give up Gordan Beckham. Depending on the other two players aside from Richard and Poreda, it might not be too bad.
Could they even trade Beckham right now? Wasn't he was drafted last year? Obviously, reports are saying he is not part of this deal but he would have to be a PTBNL in the deal.
You're right...Beckham was drafted last year, so the only way he'd be in the deal is as a PTBNL. It doesn't look like he'd be in the deal, anyway...Beckham's been pegged as their shortstop of the future since the day he was drafted, and may be a rare prospect that Kenny Williams doesn't find expendable.

It does look like Aaron Poreda and Clayton Richard would be part of the deal if it goes through, though. According to MLBTradeRumors, there are reports saying that two other pitchers will be involved. Yahoo says that Chicago's not offering any position players -- purely a four pitcher for one swap.

Poreda was their first round pick two years ago and is already pitching very well in AA. He's a 6'6" 240 pound lefty that can touch the high 90s with his fastball...definitely sounds like a hoss. Richard's a pretty decent guy to have in your system, too, although he doesn't seem to have overpowering stuff.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived