Brewer Fanatic

Will Bill Hall ever make adjustments?

AJAY
Just my two cents, but it doesn't seem like a "pose" in my opinion. I think it is just an extension of Billy's swing. It seems like he is just trying to extend a bit and "finish" high. I've seen him do it on ground balls as well and strikes that are missing. It just seems like a long swing to me and not standing in the box. I'm probably wrong, just how I perceived it. And trust me, I have no emotional allegiance to Bill Hall.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like Hall posing either but that has almost nothing to do with his poor production. And maybe Hall just doesn't have the skillset that allows him to go opposite field very often. To suggest he is just being stubborn seems unfair to me. Some players just can't do it and many are still good. Hall can't do it and he's not very good.

Nottso,

I couldn't agree more. Anything hit close to the warning track will yield the Billy Hall pose. He's been doing it for years so I don't know how anyone can disagree.

• 3 weeks later...
So when exactly will Macha realize that Hall cannot hit lefties or righties at this point? Its about time we played Gamel everyday because he at least has potential while Hall cant do anything with a bat in his hands. Between hall and Kendall we have 2 automatic outs in our lineup. This team cannot rely entirely on Braun on Fielder to score runs. We need Gamel to play because he has the potential to help us while Hall is just a waste of space.

I hate the way we are mis using Gamel right now. There have been alot of players who simply can't come off the bench cold and be a productive pinch hitter. Gamel needs to play everyday to get in a good groove. Stop Misusing him Macha.

Before today, Hall was OPSing .852 against LHP this season. I think it's too early to declare that he can't hit lefties anymore.

As far as Gamel, the DH will be available for the next 2 series. Hopefully he'll get going over the next week.

Gamel has gotten plenty of starts, he has not been used just as a pinch hitter. He started on Thursday (and may have cost us the game with his glove) and at that point he had started 5 of 6 games.

Yeah, Gamel hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire yet. That said, Bill Hall is just terrible at the plate right now. So is Hardy as well (though he is at least making solid contact). It's so frustrating how this team has become so weak offensively in the last couple weeks.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yeah, Gamel hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire yet. That said, Bill Hall is just terrible at the plate right now.

To me, this ends any question of who should be getting everyday playing time. On top of that, Gamel has handled LHP well to this point in his career.

I could stomach Hall coming in as a defensive replacement (even though I think Gamel needs regular PT for his defense as much as his offense) if it was bc Gamel was getting the 'everyday' starting status.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just wish he'd at least even off his feet in the batter's box as opposed to his wide-open stance now. I believe there's too much movement in the mechanics of his swing from the feet up to the follow through. I think he's late on his swings even with average fastballs coming at him. I also think he's not in a position to make solid contact on a pitch unless he guesses the right pitch and location. If you have to guess the right pitch and location in order to make contact, that's two strikes (pun intended) against him right away.

No.

Like many fans, I have watched him since the minors.

He has incredible physical skills, some of the best, I believe. Yet he has always showed a resistance to change -- except, he has accepted many fielding roles, so we cannot give him an absolute criticism on that.

Yet, as far as hitting, it does seem he JUST CANNOT ALTER HIS APPROACH and seems doomed to outside and away, and being late on the 89 MPH fastball.

He is such, seemingly, a great guy, a good teammate, and a great contributor to the community.

Yet, can Bill Hall hit?

It is also nice to see that Hall still knows how to admire his home runs. Way to walk out of the box when that ball only made the first 1 oer 2 rows. I mean I like that he hit the HR but jeez a man that sucks as much as him right now should be admiring his home runs. He would have been a dead duck at 2nd if that ball hit the top of the wall.

I don't know what to think about Billy at this point, really.

I know exactly what you mean, Invader. I feel like we've been rooting for this guy to right the ship for a looonnnng time now.

And if you want a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach... 2010: $8.4M -- that's ok though, not like we have any players getting raises in arbitration

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Schroeder said that Billy knew he got it...uh no, he now apparently watches about every long fly ball he hits and that one just happened to actually make it out, rather than being a double or an out like several other ones he has watched recently.

Schroeder said that Billy knew he got it...uh no, he now apparently watches about every long fly ball he hits and that one just happened to actually make it out, rather than being a double or an out like several other ones he has watched recently.

Maybe he was just confused by two phenomena occurring at once:

1. The sound of a ball going off the sweet spot of the bat.

2. The sight of the ball traveling up in the air and flying toward the outfield at a much more rapid rate than usual.

I'm sure someone will find reason to object to this but I'd just rather watch someone else fail instead of Bill Hall. I don't even care who it is. It would seem logical to play Gamel but I'll take anyone else over Hall at this point.

Archived