Brewer Fanatic

Will Bill Hall ever make adjustments?

AJAY
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if the Brewers are unable to trade Hall, and decide to DFA him, he will either be claimed by another team at League minimum, accept an assignment to go down to AAA, or sit around and get paid, but have no team to play with because the team released him. Is this correct? If it is, I would have to think Hall would be a fool to turn down a AAA assignment if no other team claims him. He could at least work on his hitting and improve his status from dead weight to bench player.

I think he would have to take the assignment (after 72 hours) or give up the contract. If someone claimed him, off he would go. Billy could refuse that and the AAA demotion, but then would give up his contract. I "think" that is the deal. Feel free to correct me if I'm mis-understanding this.

Community Moderator

I think he would have to take the assignment (after 72 hours) or give up the contract. If someone claimed him, off he would go. Billy could refuse that and the AAA demotion, but then would give up his contract. I "think" that is the deal. Feel free to correct me if I'm mis-understanding this.

Bill has enough service time that he can choose to not go down, and it wouldn't have any effect on his contract.

Bill has enough service time that he can choose to not go down, and it wouldn't have any effect on his contract.

I think Giambi did this a few years back.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If he would refuse the assignment and can't be sent out because of service time (I assume that requires 6 years) then is it correct that the only option Milwaukee would have is to keep him or release Bill and eat the contract?

Additionally, a player with 5 years of Major League service may not be sent to the minor leagues on an optional assignment without his consent.

Outright assignments

A player assigned outright to the minor leagues for the first time in his career must accept the assignment. Thereafter, a player has the choice of 1) rejecting the assignment and becoming a free agent immediately, or 2) accepting the assignment and become a free agent at the end of the season if he has not been returned to the 40-man roster.

A player with 3 years of Major League service may refuse an outright assignment and choose to become a free agent immediately or at the end of the season.

A player with 5 years of Major League service who refuses an outright assignment is entitled to the money due according to the terms of his contract. Link

Basically, Hall could tell Melvin to pound sand and all Melvin could do was cut him. We would have to pay him regardless.

(edit: bumped up font size a bit --1992)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Community Moderator

We're almost getting to the point now though that Hall might be willing to go to AAA for a while because he really has no other choices to help himself get out of this.

Making some sort of deal with him to get him to go down for a couple of weeks and guarantee to call him back quick-ish might do the trick to at least make it feasible to him.

I apologize, as I think this may have been addressed, but if Hall denies a minor league assignment, wouldn't he forfeit his MLB contract? I know Turnbow had to cross that bridge, but for some reason I recall Hall's situation being clarified as different from Turnbow's

Turnbow had enough service time where he could have refused the assignment, but in doing so would have forfeited his contract. Hall has just enough service time to hold a lot of leverage.

Bill Hall is a sunk cost.

At this point the only thing left to do is deal Hall for another struggling player with a similar contract. Hope change of scenary can jumpstart the incoming player. Nate Robertson fits that scenario. Even if Robertson remains horrible, he's a LHRP thats no worse than Narveson, and the Brewers have a spot to call up Adam Heether, which would improve our bench.

Who else has a horrible contract similar to Hall's? Theres a slew of guys that make $10 million a year that suck, but Hall is a little under that. theres also a bunch of guys that have horrible contracts that run through 2011, we want no part of that either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

At least Melvin hit on McGehee to make the sucking of Bill Hall more tolerable. Its too bad really, but it seems that Bill Hall has run out of MLB usefulness. I fear that Corey Hart is right behind him.

I'm closing this topic. It appears that we've reached the point where everything has been asked and answered a number of times.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived