Brewer Fanatic

Any interest in a Mat Gamel private signing?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry everyone...his agent said that is was up to legends...really sucks because he didn't drop this information on us until friday morning, and he said that we could do the signing, it just doesn't seem fair...oh well, I guess that is the business and life...

sorry to everyone.

LOF has privileges to view this site, and since they saw the popularity of having a signing they no doubt bullied their way into a contract with Gamel to profit from this. Once again the fun and excitement of getting autographs has been corrupted by corporate greed.

My suggestion for this same situation in the future...don't post anything until the signing date is set.

I would never buy anything for LOTF after I heard about their counterfeit jerseys. This just reinforces my decision not to do business with them.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I'm glad I got Gamel on a ball for free at On Deck, sweetspotted. I probably couldve gotten him twice as the line was short, but ran outta stuff to get signed.

Legends also charges for shipping/handling when you pick items up. I was surprised that they had some "policy." It seems silly to have to pay to pick the item up, I drove out there cuz shipping was outrageous for an 8x10 (10 bucks) (they charged 5 as opposed to 10, which CLEARLY is a scam). I still felt I got the better end of the deal, as it was a Sheets 8x10 that cost only like 7 dollars total (including the pick up fee).

It was also funny when the girl asked me if I wanted a signed ball by top prospect "Mat Camel" for 60 bucks.

I would flat out refuse to pay a shipping fee on an item I'm picking up in person. Just a way for them to make a quick buck for doing nothing. But yeah, $7.00 total is not bad.

That said my wife had a good experience with LotF when she bought an autographed Braun ROY bat from them last year, so they can't be all bad.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Of course Legends has a contract with Gamel now...

They want to get contracts with any Brewer/Packer/Bear/Cub that they can, especially the young stars. Get used to this people. I know, it does suck.

Does anyone else agree with me as well that "private" signings in general suck? The only thing is does is get YOUR itemed signed. What ever happen to the good old days of seeing the player sign your ball, thanking them for the way they play the game and moving along down the line.

It's really unfortunate that this the autograph situation at this time. Numerous guys have exclusive contracts (and this will only get worse) and "private signings" are becoming the norm. As BrewCrew stated, the days of actually lining up to meet the player and interact with them for a few seconds are coming to an end.

I know a few employees at a local sports card store (that I'll keep nameless). The store regularily had 3-4 Brewers/Packers in for signings every year. They had Weeks, Hall, Hart, Sheets, Jenkins, Ahman Green, Donald Drive....all fairly early in their "Wisconsin" careers, for a somewhat reasonable price. In each case, they gave the player X amount of money for X amount of time, and the player in turn would sit the table for that amount of time. They would get an estimated amount of signatures they could sign in that time, then they would sell that many tickets if they could. If time permitted, the store would just get anything they wanted signed.

They had Ryan Grant towards the end of his first Packer season, and haven't had anyone since. There are 3 reasons for this:

1. Players are starting to ask for more and more money. He used to make a small profit on the autograph shows, almost all of which would come from merchandise sales, a very small portion, if any from the actual price for the augraph.

2. Players won't agree to the 1-2 hour window anymore, they have a set amount of items they will sign and that's it. This virtually eliminates any chance of a "walk up" auto sale and doesn't really allow the store to get much of it's merchandise signed.

3. Players are now signing exclusive deals with companies for amounts of money that he can't possibly compete with. He had a deal in place during Braun's rookie year, date set and everything and when he faxed over the contract it was never returned because they had been offered a deal to be exclusive (much like Gamel).

Last time I talked with him, he pretty much indicated that the store probably won't have anyone significant in for a long, long time. Sure, they can get guys like Gilbert Brown or Carlos Villanueva in, but nobody comes so he stopped trying.

I don't really like exclusive contracts either, however there is one upside in my opinion, autographs are at least available! While I can attend autograph Fridays, an occasional block party, and some other in person signings, many times I would like to get multiple things signed (each year I try to get signed sets of things like the 5x7 autograph friday cards, topps heritage team set, yearbook cover, 8x10 of each new player, 5x7 card set from "On Deck", bobbleheads, etc) and the "1 per" at these events make it tough to do. If these free events still exist, and paid signings exist, I think we have the best of both worlds. Those who want to keep it inexpensive can get a few things signed, and those who try to collect a lot of different items each year can work on their stuff (for a price of course). I would much rather have the chance to say "no" to a price, than never having the chance to say "no"!

Whatever you may think of LOTF (and I'm no fan believe me), to think that they saw this thread and then said "hey we better quick sign Gamel to an exclusive" is ridiculous.

Are you crazy. It has everything to do with it. Don't you see what kind of effect brewerfan net has. This thread helped gamel get signed by LOTF. Who can we "help" out next.

• 3 weeks later...
Legends just posted their signing with Mat Gamel. $19 for flats up to 8x10, $25 for balls and bobbles, $30 for balts, jerseys and hats. Prices arent real bad, but certainily a lot more than what was discussed earlier in this thread. Oh yeah, $19 For inscriptions. I think that is ridiculous.

Legends is a joke, $40 for Corey Hart??? and another $30 for a personalization? There are numerous Hall of Fame players who sign for less than that.
Buy in advance and it's half that. But the Hart signing is the same day/time as the second block party. Not great planning.

Archived