Brewer Fanatic

#1 Priority: Re-signing Fielder

Although many people anticipate that Prince will be traded after the end of his two year contract for pitching depth, I for one think the Brewers should attempt to lock Prince up for an additional four or five years. We have beautiful thing going on between Braun and Fielder at the heart of our order, I honestly think they have one of the best 3 / 4 combos in the National League, with only Utley and Howard and the Dodgers with Manny as comparable offensive threats. I would like to see the Braun Fielder combo for years to come, as I think their offense will keep as as a playoff contending team.

I just don't want to see this team resign lesser talents such as Hardy and Hart and watch Prince leave town in his prime.

I would love to lock him up, but I think it is very unlikely to happen. I have a feeling he will be waiting for free agency and then going to the highest bidder, which the Brewers cannot afford to be.

Boras always opts for the free agent bidding war for his clients. He'd be crazy not to do that with Prince who will fetch big coin. But even then, Prince is destined to be a DH eventually. His D is a liability and won't get any better if he continues to battle his weight.

The #1 priority should be something more attainable like Gallardo or Hardy.

the more I think about it, I really think we just let Fielder walk after his 3 arby years unless we're looking to rebuild in 2011.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

The #1 priority should be something more attainable like Gallardo or Hardy.

Thats what I was going to say. Gallardo number one. Hardy number two. I think a bigger priority will be finding a replacement for Fielder.

Hi numbers will probably fall off a cliff in his mid 30's, like what's happening to David Ortiz. I think he'll make it past 33. And replace Ortiz as DH for the Red Sox in a couple years.

However, if last offseason wasn't just a fluke, he may not get the big payoff he might have expected a year ago. As Dunn and Burrell found out, the market for poor defense sluggers ain't what it used to be.

No, a long term contract to Fielder wouldn't be a good idea. He isn't likely to be in better shape than he is now. More likely much worse. Despite what has been said by Bill Schroeder, he is still a bad defensive 1B.

Hardy isn't a lesser talent than Fielder. Neither can be easily replaced, but it is much easier to find a good hitting 1B or shift a guy there than it is to find a good hitting SS. Anybody that can hit is a possible 1B. Of our position players, if money wasn't the issue, Hardy would probably be the one to lock up. Realistically the only one who we might be able to sign to a reasonable extension is Weeks. The only reason to do that though is so that all of our top prospects don't have to be successful. It would also give us the ability to trade one. The best thing to do would be to ride all of them out till they hit free agency unless we get blown away with an offer form another team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am of the opinion that we keep him as long as we can and either trade him before his final season or let him walk and get the picks. There are two reasons for this: 1. If he gets back up to the 40 to 50 HR level and really starts mashing, we simply won't be able to afford him. 2. If he really falls off, his agent will still try to command as much as he can for him, and at an inflated price why would we want him?

I have confidence that we will make the most out of having the rights to him, the real question is: Who takes his place? Right now, if Gamel doesn't improve defensively I would think that would be a logical move. The guy can field the ball he just has issues throwing. It's also likely that we see a few first basemen drafted in preparation for his departure.

Yo has to be the top priority. it's much easier to find another slugging 1st baseman than an ace.

Hardy could go either way, and he's making himself richer every day, but I think solidifying SS with a hitter and defender like Hardy is also more important than a slugging 1st baseman. I would agree that he's priority #2. I honestly think getting Cameron for another year or two is a higher priority than Fielder. The combination of being a poor defender and a Boras client does not bode well for the Brewers.

EDIT: Since I basically just said some of the same stuff as logan, I'll add a bit more. If Gamel's defense at 3rd is as bad as it has been made out to be, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to 1B if/when Prince leaves.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Mo Vaughn's last season was age 35, but he wasnt all that productive age 32.

Cecil Fielder's last season was age 34, but he fell off a cliff at age 30-31 and his best years were 26-27. Prince is a better hitter than his dad, but he doesnt have more power or a better body - and he might have a worse body.

The jury is still out on David Ortiz, obviously, but he was so-so last year and who knows if this year is a slump or the beginning of the end for him. He is age 33 this year.

Even fat pitchers have had issues staying on the field after 32-33. Bartolo Colon and Sid Fernandez are two that come to mind, although David Wells is the exception.

My Prediction for Fielder's career:

He already is a poor first baseman. That will continue until he goes to an AL team, which he certainly will go to after his time with Milwaukee.

He will likely get a 5-8 year deal on the FA Market taking him from age 28 to 33-36. He will be very good to great for ages 28-31. Age 32 and 33 he will be decent (25-30Hrs) and age 34-36 he will be below average and out of baseball by the end of his deal.

No, a long term contract to Fielder wouldn't be a good idea. He isn't likely to be in better shape than he is now. More likely much worse. Despite what has been said by Bill Schroeder, he is still a bad defensive 1B.

Hardy isn't a lesser talent than Fielder. Neither can be easily replaced, but it is much easier to find a good hitting 1B or shift a guy there than it is to find a good hitting SS. Anybody that can hit is a possible 1B. Of our position players, if money wasn't the issue, Hardy would probably be the one to lock up. Realistically the only one who we might be able to sign to a reasonable extension is Weeks. The only reason to do that though is so that all of our top prospects don't have to be successful. It would also give us the ability to trade one. The best thing to do would be to ride all of them out till they hit free agency unless we get blown away with an offer form another team.

The biggest issue with that is the Brewers need to find 3 pitchers for 2011 and finding 3 pitchers either through trade or free agency while replacing Hardy makes it a really tough to keep Fielder and Hart through their last year. Now a World Series win changes a lot of things and maybe someone pitching in AAA, but right now 2011 looks to be tough

Despite what has been said by Bill Schroeder, he is still a bad defensive 1B.

Good one.... Rock is less than accurate.

Cecil Fielder's last season was age 34, but he fell off a cliff at age 30-31 and his best years were 26-27.

Cecil was also not that fat when he started out....

http://www.wpla.net/images/cecil%20fielder.JPG

People tend to remember this guy...

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/5866/fielder.jpg

It makes sense to shop Fielder in the offseason or 2010 trading deadline to an AL team with a pitching surplus. Of course the Rays come to mind first, but other teams could fit the mold. Perhaps the Jays would offer Halladay type package or the Royals would offer a Greinke type package. Neither probably will happen, but that is the type of demand that the Brewers need to put forward for a top shelf bat like Prince Fielder. That will give us a chance to retool for 2010, 11, and beyond.

It makes sense to shop Fielder in the offseason or 2010 trading deadline to an AL team with a pitching surplus. Of course the Rays come to mind first, but other teams could fit the mold. Perhaps the Jays would offer Halladay type package or the Royals would offer a Greinke type package. Neither probably will happen, but that is the type of demand that the Brewers need to put forward for a top shelf bat like Prince Fielder. That will give us a chance to retool for 2010, 11, and beyond.

I don't see either of those two deals happening. I'd assume the team would try to get a younger 'ace' in order to save payroll for Yo, Hardy, etc.

Verified Member
the more I think about it, I really think we just let Fielder walk after his 3 arby years unless we're looking to rebuild in 2011.

Why would we do that? I don't think we should give him a big contract, but I'd trade him. He's worth a lot more than comp picks.

Why would we do that? I don't think we should give him a big contract, but I'd trade him. He's worth a lot more than comp picks.
He was worth less than 3 wins last year, why would that equal big trade value? Melvin made him available this past offseason, but we didn't hear of a single offer, and almost everything gets leaked nowadays.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The biggest issue with that is the Brewers need to find 3 pitchers for 2011 and finding 3 pitchers either through trade or free agency while replacing Hardy makes it a really tough to keep Fielder and Hart through their last year. Now a World Series win changes a lot of things and maybe someone pitching in AAA, but right now 2011 looks to be tough

Which makes signing Bush to a 2-3 year extension look a little more appealing.

I'm glad Prince signed the 2 year deal, as we really don't have a replacement for him at this time. I do agree with everyone that it's extremely unlikely he'll be here through his three arby years, and basically no chance he'll be here beyond that.

Locking up Yo is #1 priority. I'm more hesitant on Parra, but he should be looked at for the reason endaround stated... we don't have much pitching depth beyond next year. The trend of locking up pre-arby players long-term started just too late for our current class, so players like Hardy may be too far along to buy out any free agency. Hart and Weeks could possibly be bought, but do we want to take the risk on them? It is much more likely to affect our next group of stars. Braun's deal is done, Yo should get a deal soon, Gamel will probably get one next year, the winner of Salome/Lucroy and Lawrie will get a deal in a few years, etc. While there is a lot of risk in signing players to "Braun-type" deals, it's a trend I like, as it will help smaller markets keep their stars for a longer time. It can hurt a franchise if the GM guesses wrong, so I hope Melvin knows what he's doing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

His numbers will probably fall off a cliff in his mid 30's, like what's happening to David Ortiz.

Because he's Dominican it wouldn't too surprising if Ortiz is really in his late thirties.

Archived