Brewer Fanatic

Brewerfan.net interviews Brooks Kieschnick

*To answer some of the questions that y'all have: When TB drafted me in the Expansion draft it was strictly as a hitter. When I got hurt in '98 (dislocated left elbow) that was about it for me in TB.

*As far as the MLB not taking advantage of 2 way players I think in their minds they have a lot invested in a player and they want to make sure that he focuses on what in their minds is his best asset. They don't want to risk that player getting injured.

*When players get booed by the home fans, that is just part of the game. I don't think it shows that you don't have support for that player I think it just means that at that time the player was not at their best and odds are it happened at an inopportune time. I would not think that it would discourage a true gamer from signing with a team because of that. If a player doesn't sign somewhere because he is afraid he is going to get booed then you probably don't want that guy on your team anyway.

*And last but definitely not least...SoCal Brew Crew Fan make sure and tell your wife I said HOOK 'EM HORNS right back at ya. Hope everyone is doing well.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work Todd and thanks to Brooks for sharing. The part of the interview that I caught right away was this line.

In '97, they had myself, Robin Jennings, and Brant Brown... they sent Jennings and I out, and went with Brown. They told us he had the best glove of the three. I'd
I immediately remembered Tom Wopat's avatar.

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/28125e24a996fd09bd97cbb213046a7133a6175.gif

Verified Member

Welcome Brooks, you were always one of my favorites..

We would welcome you back here anytime.. I met you at a club called the World Series Club which is run by a man named Paul Schramka who also runs the Braves historical club, and I loved your talk and you signed all my schwag which I have displayed proudly to this day. Thank you for being so stand up..

This was a great interview, one of my favorites on this site. Brooks was one of my favorite players while he was here and this interview just reinforces my feelings. Thanks for stopping by Kiesch!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I had the opportunity to have a few cocktails with brooks at McGillicuddy's in Milwaukee once. Brooks, you probably don't remember - I barely do. My friend was an usher for the Iowa Cubs while attending law school and shared a few memories with you. Thanks for being so cordial....granted the libations probably helped.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
From experience, I can say that a lot of it is. I know one of our threads was printed out and posted in the Brewers' clubhouse during S/T one time.
When sufficient time has passed and all the parties are no longer with the Brewers I hope you let us know which thread that was and why it was posted.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

You know what's funny is that a lot of the Cubs' fans are bitter about my comment that "I knew my career was in trouble when the Cubs drafted me". What they failed to do was read a little farther into the interview when I mentioned the reason that I said that. I said that because of what happened in my first half season where the guys on the team wanted to force a losing streak so we could go home. Oh well some of them knew what I was talking about and some of them just tried to throw daggers. What are you going to do? Try and please everyone and you will please no one including yourself. Rock and roll.

Brooks...your honesty and candor are what made that a great interview. You're right, you explained that comment immediately, giving the example of the two guys who wanted a losing streak, to avoid the playoffs at the end of the season.

You mentioned "culture shock"...I can only imagine - going from a fight to make the College World Series, to "let's get a losing streak going, so we can go home on time."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived