Brewer Fanatic

Trivia

topper09er
Hints to the remaining answers from my questions.

Q #1 - The team involved has changed locations and neither player involved is in the HOF.

Q #2 - 4 remaining - in alphabetical order:

Player A: was born in a US possession that is no longer a US possession.

Player B: reversed his number when he went to his new team.(Big Hint)

Player C: had to take a different number for the second team that retired his number (not the second team he played on) because the number he wanted was already retired.

Non-Player D: was a player for 14 seasons with a moderate career - he did not play on either of the teams that retired his number.

1) Andre Dawson & ???? Expos, #10?

2) A: Rod Carew, Twins/Angels, #?; B: Carlton Fisk, Red Sox/White Sox, #27/72; C: Reggie Jackson, Yankees/Athletics, #44/#?; D: Casey Stengel?, Yankees/Mets, No idea what #

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Andre Dawson & Rusty Staub Expos, #10

2)

A: Rod Carew, Twins/Angels, #29; Was born in Gatun, Canal Zone

B: Carlton Fisk, Red Sox/White Sox, #27/72;

C: Reggie Jackson, Yankees/Athletics, #44/#9; was retired for Maris

D: Casey Stengel?, Yankees/Mets, #37 Played for (among others) 2 NY teams Dodgers and Giants had number retired by the other 2 NY teams

Self Edit: Sorry Stengel did not play for the Dodgers - He played for the Robins and the Superbas

Well done Boston - a few hints never hurt anybody.

Name the three players in the 3,000 hit club to have played with the Yankees (there are actually 4, but Paul Waner only had 1 hit while a Yankees, so I am discounting it).

Why let that 1 hit bother you? Check out this quote about Christy Mathewson from Wikipedia:

Along with his brother Henry Mathewson, he holds the major league record for combined wins by brothers playing for the same team: Christy 373, Henry 0.

Against whom did Sandy Koufax get his only career home run?

(Pause.)

Warren Spahn. At County on a 1-2 count. My uncle was at the game and in later years, through circumstances too complicated to recount here, became friends with Koufax. He repeated the above fact to him and Koufax shrugged and said, "Oh, really?"

If those guys are correct it means no player has ever gotten his 3000th hit in a Yankee uniform.
You are correct (both times). Jeter will likely be the first (barring a trade for someone on the cusp).

I discounted Paul Waner simply because, if everyone was avoiding google and baseball reference, no one would have gotten it. I'm not quite that pedantic.

The answer I have is: 1st and 2nd. Nobody Out. Batter hits a popup. Infield fly rule. 1 out. Runner on first passes runner on second. He's automatically out. 2 down. The popup then comes back to earth via the 3rd baserunner's noggin. He's automatically out. 3 down.

Been thinking about this and I have come to the (maybe faulty) conclusion that this is not possible.

Once the runner on first passes the runner on second, he is declared out and therefore no longer are there runners on first and second and therefore the infield fly rule is no longer in effect. - There is no provision that states "before the ball is hit" or anything of the sort. There is a provision that could render an umpires declaration of " Infield fly - batter out" moot - the ball bounces untouched in front of the pitcher and kicks to foul territory making it a foul ball and therefore no out even though the ump has screamed "Batter out".

What I have always wondered about this situation is that when a batted ball hits a runner, the ball is dead, the runner is out and the batter is credited with a hit, but what happens in this case to the batter? Is he credited with a hit even though he flew out due to the infield fly? I dont tihnk he would be given first base, but I wonder how it would be scored, as a flyout or hit?

As soon as infield fly is called, the batter is out regardless (unless the ball lands in foul territory). If the ball then hits the runner, the runner is out as well.

At least, that's my understanding.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

As soon as infield fly is called, the batter is out regardless (unless the ball lands in foul territory). If the ball then hits the runner, the runner is out as well.

At least, that's my understanding.

I agree they are both out, just wondering about how you score the play for the hitter, as a flyout or hit. It would be interesting if it was a hit because it would be a way to get a hit without reaching base...which makes me think it must be scored as a flyout.

Question, who are the 9 active players with a .400+ career OBP%?

Hint, 2 RH batters, 5 LH batters, 2 switch hitters

Todd Helton, Manny Ramirez, Albert Pujols, Brian Giles, Chipper Jones, Lance Berkman, Jim Thome, Jason Giambi and Bobby Abreu.

Question, who are the 9 active players with a .400+ career OBP%?

Hint, 2 RH batters, 5 LH batters, 2 switch hitters

Todd Helton, Manny Ramirez, Albert Pujols, Brian Giles, Chipper Jones, Lance Berkman, Jim Thome, Jason Giambi and Bobby Abreu.

The point of this is not just see who can look up the answer first, if you actually knew Brain Giles right away then Im sorry for assuming.

The point of this is not just see who can look up the answer first, if you actually knew Brain Giles right away then Im sorry for assuming.

I knew Giles. One of my favorite players.

Archived