Brewer Fanatic

Trivia

topper09er

There are a number of first names above not answered but I'll levae them alone because I had to look them up.
Oh heck - Pujols and Cabrera are both Jose.

I have three regarding retired numbers.
A few weeks ago the Cubs retired the number 31 for both Fergie Jenkins and Greg Maddux.

1) How many other times has a team retired a single number for more than 1 player (Team/s players and number/s please)
2) Who are the players (and 1 non-player) that have had numbers retired by more than 1 team (Team/s players and number/s please)
3) What is unique about the numbers retired for Christy Mathewson (Giants), Christy Mathewson (Phillies), and Chuck Klein (Phillies).

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that also means that the infield fly call cannot be "mooted" by the fielders' action or inaction re the foul ball scenario but that's a more interesting question.
I know I'm absolutely right on that one.

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule. When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare "Infield Fly" for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare "Infield Fly, if Fair." The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul. If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly. On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder_not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire's judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire's judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately. When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05 (L). The infield fly rule takes precedence.

Cubfan, I don't see that the sentences you highlighted have anything to do with mooting anything. The first sentence just restates that a ball, including a grounder, that bounces fair and then goes foul before the bases and before being touched is a foul ball. The runners go back to their base and the batter hits again. The 2nd sentence implies that the ump should have yelled 'infield fly, if fair' and even if it hits foul and then bounces fair, it's still an infield fly and the batter is out.

I know that Nolan Ryan is the only player to have his number retired by three teams. he wore number #34 for the Astros and Rangers. I know he wore #30 before that, but for some reason I always forget if was the Angels or Mets who retired his #30. I'll guess the Angels, but I could be wrong.

He's not asking what players got their number retired for multiple teams...

He's asking what teams retired the same number for multiple players.

My new stump-your-friends trivia question:

6 hitters in MLB that are active, with 2,000 career hits and a .300 batting average.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

"6 hitters in MLB that are active, with 2,000 career hits and a .300 batting average."

I'll try. ARod, Vladdy, Jeter, G. Anderson, Chipper Jones, Manny. Others maybe: Ichiro (close to 2000 I think), Pujols (soon enough), Griffey (gotta be close in AVG), Edmonds, Delgado, Pudge, Kendall (NOT!), Magglio. Had to have gotten a couple. Edit: Sorry about format. Safari doesn't seem to like bf.net right now.

3. I'll guess Christy Mathewson did not have a number on his jersey as numbers were not used in that era. I don't know about Chuck Klein. I'll guess he didn't have a consistent number throughout his career unlike most players.

Just looked it up and Helton just got his 2000th hit, and he is the 7th one.

Teletalalada got all 4 of the other 6 in his initial list of 6, and the other 2 in his remaining listing.

Helton

Manny

Vlad

Pudge Rodriguez

Jeter

ARod

Chipper Jones

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Question 1 - Dickey/Berra #8 is correct - there is 1 more

Question 3 - Christy Mathewson indeed did not have a number and has an NY retired for him (same is true for John McGraw)

Chuck Klein as stated above wore a mess of numbers for the Phillies and has an Old English P retired for him

I messd up the last part of q#3. It was supposed to be Grover Alexander who has a block P retired by the Phillies

Question #2 Aaron's #44 of course is correct and was the first one I knew you guys would get.

Ryan is the only one who's number is retired by 3 teams - Angels, Rangers, Astros

F Robinson is also correct - #20 by the Reds and Orioles

There's a few more

BTW Jackie Robinson is not a correct answer to #2. The Dodgers are the only team that retired his # 42. MLB retired it for all other teams.

Jeter .316 2603

ARod .305 2427

Manny .315 2424

Vladdy .322 2155

Helton .328 2015

Chipper .311 2323

Pudge .301 2647

Pujols .335 1594

G. Anderson .296 2398

Berkman .300 1492

Ichiro .331 1877

Polanco .303 1544

Sheffield .292 2644

Kendall .291 2006

Renteria .289 2111

Luis Castillo .291 1726

Carlos Lee .291 1698

Magglio .311 1879

Brian Giles .291 1890

Tejada .288 1991

Damon .289 2330

Any other close ones?

Verified Member
Who knows the given first names for the following players (without google):

1. Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Chipper Jones

3. Albert Pujols

4. CC Sabathia

5. Nomar Garciaparra

6. BJ Upton

7. Corey Hart

8. JD Drew

9. Roy Halladay

10. Miguel Cabrera

11. Coco Crisp

12. Seth McClung

1. George

2. Larry

3. Jose

4. Carsten

5. Anthony

6. Melvin

7. Jon

8. David

9. Harry

10. Jose

11. Covelli

12. Michael

Hints to the remaining answers from my questions.

Q #1 - The team involved has changed locations and neither player involved is in the HOF.

Q #2 - 4 remaining - in alphabetical order:

Player A: was born in a US possession that is no longer a US possession.

Player B: reversed his number when he went to his new team.(Big Hint)

Player C: had to take a different number for the second team that retired his number (not the second team he played on) because the number he wanted was already retired.

Non-Player D: was a player for 14 seasons with a moderate career - he did not play on either of the teams that retired his number.

Archived