Brewer Fanatic

Trivia

topper09er

Wow, it is so weird that I asked this and then the only possible way it could occur actually happened tonight when Bourn hit out of order. The way batting out of order works is that only after the at bat is completed the defense can appeal only before the next the pitch. If the next pitch is thrown then the illegal at bat counts as a legal at bat and whoever is up after the guy who hit out of order is legally up.

So, Bourn led off while batting illegally for Matsui with a single and say the brewers did not notice this and threw a pitch to Matsui. Now Bourn's at bat is legal and the proper batter would be Lance Berkman because he is hitting after Bourn in the starting lineup. But like what happened tonight say the Astros did not notice this so they send Matsui up there to bat for Berkman illegally. Say Matsui strikes out and then the brewers throw a pitch to Berkman. When the brewers failed to appeal Matsui hitting out of order he became the correct hitter so the hitter listed after him in the starting lineup, Michael Bourn, is now the proper batter....but he is on first base.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its been awhile, and baseball is kind of goofy about its rules, but if I remember right, if a pitch is thrown to a batter after you bat out of order, your at bat is considered valid.

So, batting order written in the lineup book is: Counsell, Hardy, Braun, Fielder

So, Braun leads off the game with a double, then JJ walks on 4 pitches, the opposing team asks for a ruling as Prince steps up, knowing Braun should hit after JJ. Since JJ hit in the correct spot, Braun is then due up 3rd so it would be his spot in the order while he's on base.

Yes... I was a huge rules geek back in the day.

In this scenario Braun is hitting out of order but as soon as they throw ball 1 to Hardy Braun became the legal hitter which means Fielder is now the legal batter and Hardy is hitting illegally for Fielder. Once hardy's at bat is over with a walk and before the next pitch if the defense asks for an appeal they would get it because Hardy would be out for hitting out of order so actually Fielder is credited with an out and whoever is due up after Fielder is the proper hitter, not Braun...

but you had the right idea.

Bases loaded, ball hit in play, no one touches it; batter passes runner on first, 1 out, runner on 1st passes runner on 2nd, 2 out, runner on 2nd passes runner on third, triple play.

There are lots of ways for this to happen.

Baes loaded, batter hits a line drive which hits the baserunner on 3rd who unwisely is standing in fair territory, karoms off him and hits the runner on 2nd and karoms off him to hit the runner on 1st. OK, it's unlikely but it's theoretically possible.

Question:

Which of the following teams has never played in 3 straight World Series?

A's

Cardinals

Cubs

Giants

Orioles

Reds

Tigers

I can eliminate two of them: A's (1988-1990...maybe another time too as they've won 9 I think) and Cubs (1906-1908). That's all I've got.
I am not Shea Vucinich

Baes loaded, batter hits a line drive which hits the baserunner on 3rd who unwisely is standing in fair territory, karoms off him and hits the runner on 2nd and karoms off him to hit the runner on 1st. OK, it's unlikely but it's theoretically possible.
This is not true because as soon as a batted ball hits a runner the play is dead, the runner is out and the batter gets first base and is credited with a hit.

The answer I have is: 1st and 2nd. Nobody Out. Batter hits a popup. Infield fly rule. 1 out. Runner on first passes runner on second. He's automatically out. 2 down. The popup then comes back to earth via the 3rd baserunner's noggin. He's automatically out. 3 down.

Question:

A's

Cardinals

Cubs

Giants

Orioles

Reds

Tigers

I can eliminate two of them: A's (1988-1990...maybe another time too as they've won 9 I think) and Cubs (1906-1908). That's all I've got.
Orioles did from 69-71. I'll guess the Tigers.

Question:

A's

Cardinals

Cubs

Giants

Orioles

Reds

Tigers

Orioles did from 69-71. I'll guess the Tigers.
Well that leaves the Tigers, Reds, Giants, and Cardinals. I don't know about any of them, but here's my guess:

I'll say the Giants went to 3 straight in the 50's, Tigers went to 3 straight in the 40's, leaving the Cardinals and the Reds. Since the Cardinals seem more logical to have appeared in 3 straight series since they've won 10 of them, they probably didn't and are actually the correct answer, so I'll go with the Cards.

Again, all the above are guesses outside of the A's, Cubs, and now Orioles. If anyone actually knows more about this feel free to keep guessing.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I can't believe the Orioles ever won 3 in a row. They were the Milwaukee Brewers and then the St. Louis Browns. IIRC, they were horrible in each city and barely had any WS appearances. I don't think Baltimore ever saw 3 in a row, so that's my guess.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I can't believe the Orioles ever won 3 in a row. They were the Milwaukee Brewers and then the St. Louis Browns. IIRC, they were horrible in each city and barely had any WS appearances. I don't think Baltimore ever saw 3 in a row, so that's my guess.
The question is not who won 3 straight its just appeared in 3 straight. So far the Cubs (1906-08 L-W-W), A's (1988-1990 L-W-L, 1972-1974 W-W-W, 1929-1931 W-W-L), Orioles (1969-1971 L-W-L) and Cardinals (1942-1944 W-L-W) have been correctly removed from the list.

Giants (the New York version) went to 4 straight sometime in the 20's, beating the Yankees a couple of times. I believe the Tigers appeared in at least 3 in a row in the very early 1900's. That would leave the Reds.

Correct, the Tigers are the only American League team to lose 3 straight WS which they did from 1907-1909, and the Giants are the only National League team to lose 3 straight WS which they did from 1911-1913. The Giants also played in 4 straight WS from 1921-1924 going W-W-L-L. The first 2 wins were over Ruths Yankees and the Yankees won their first WS in 1923 and Walter Johnson got his only WS win with the Senators over the Giants in '24. The Reds played in back to back WS twice in 1939-1940 (L-W) and 1975-1976 (W-W). They have never played in 3 straight.

Also the Yankees have played in 3+ straight World Series 9 different times, as Rock would say, "I mean are you kdding me."

Another list question, this one is pretty old school and hopefully not too hard:

Which of the following events happened most recently:

Babe Ruth's called shot in the World Series

The first All-Star game was played

Hack Wilson's 191 RBI season

Lou Gehrig won the Triple Crown

The Tigers won their first World Series

The modern MVP award was created

Tigers' first World Series win was 1935. So that would eliminate Hack Wilson and Babe Ruth's accomplishments. Frankie Frisch won the first modern MVP award in the NL...not sure what year.

This is all correct so far.

1930: Hack Wilson 191 RBI

1931: Modern MVP award created, Frankie Frisch NL, Lefty Grove AL

1932: Ruth calls shot in WS

1933: First All-Star game

1934: Lou Gehrig wins Triple Crown

1935: Tigers win their first WS

A few for the weekend:

1) Who is the only player to win the MVP in both leagues?

2) Who is the only player to win the MVP and CY Young unanimously in the same season?

3) Who has the 2nd highest all-time career batting average after Ty Cobb?

4) Which team has the longest ACTIVE winning streak in World Series games?

5) Who are the 3 players who have 2000 career RBI?

Archived