Brewer Fanatic

Trivia

topper09er

I really like baseball trivia so I figured there must be other people here who do to so I'll try to post some good questions from time to time for fun. Im not sure if this belongs here or not so the moderators should move this or delete it if they want to.

1. What are the only 2 times (city and season) when a major league baseball team played in a city for only 1 year in the modern era (1900-present)?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I guess I can just post the answer here and hopefully people will think about the answer before scrolling down. You were close, they are:

1901 Milwaukee Brewers (who moved to St. Louis as the Browns in 1902 and then moved to Baltimore as the current Orioles in 1954)

1969 Seattle Pilots (who obviously moved to MIlwaukee in 1970)

This happens to be a Milwaukee related question but I will post league-wide questions in general.

OK, sorry to hijack this topic, but this is my favorite baseball trivia question.

What player in which season qualified for the batting title, led the majors in batting average, yet didn't win the batting title in either league?

(I think this has only happened once.)

That would be Eddie Murray then, right? He had a .330 average in 1990, lower than McGee's .335 mark in the NL (which qualified for the title), but above McGee's total of .324 across both leagues.

We have a winner! McGee was traded late in the year, after he had enough plate appearances to qualify for the NL batting title. He only hit .274 for Oakland and they didn't resign him.

George Brett won the AL crown hitting .329. So, Eddie won the major league batting title but didn't win any league title. Arguably his finest season.

Similar thing happened to McGwire in '97, he hits 58 Homers but was traded and didnt lead either league.

Also, I suggest that we use the honor system and people only post here if they knew the answer without looking it up (Im assuming GodSpeed did not remember that Eddie hit .330 and McGee hit .335 while in the NL and .324 overall, if you did then thats impressive and sorry)

topper,

By golly you're right. Looks like I've been giving the wrong question all these years. I see he's won the HR title a couple times so I must be repeating it incorrectly. I'll go with HR title from now on. Thanks for the clarification.

Its been awhile, and baseball is kind of goofy about its rules, but if I remember right, if a pitch is thrown to a batter after you bat out of order, your at bat is considered valid.

So, batting order written in the lineup book is: Counsell, Hardy, Braun, Fielder

So, Braun leads off the game with a double, then JJ walks on 4 pitches, the opposing team asks for a ruling as Prince steps up, knowing Braun should hit after JJ. Since JJ hit in the correct spot, Braun is then due up 3rd so it would be his spot in the order while he's on base.

Yes... I was a huge rules geek back in the day.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived