Brewer Fanatic

Bernie's Dugout: Now with Splash Zone

Bikeage77

Just saw on JSonline that the Bernie will now slide into a pool of water.

While it's not the same as the stein, it's better than nothing I guess. I can't tell if this is just like a button that's hit to shoot out water, or an actual pool. I'd think it's a button. I just find it humorous that Bernie will have to go through the stands and be soaked while delivering pizzas while smelling like a wet dog.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://media.jsonline.com/images/375*277/bernie.jpg

This is the photo that currently appears on the jsonline front page. Without seeing it in wider context, I'd think some fans might be sprayed - which could be nice in July or August, maybe less so in April or October.

link to photo

Edit: Maybe I should just check the press release:

Following every Brewers home run, Bernie Brewer will make a splash in the new "Landing" area, which will send an explosion of water into the air. While fans this year will stay relatively dry, the feature can be adjusted in the future to send more water into the air, giving fans seated below an experience similar to attractions at Kalahari Resorts.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It's a step closer to bringing back the mug. That is how I am choosing to read into this.
The fact that it's sponsored by a water-park makes me think the mug isn't coming back any time soon for a few reasons:

1) Kalahari probably has it on lockdown for a few years,

2) they might be looking to keep Bernie "family friendly,"

and 3) they'd need the Miller people to sponsor it now that the trend is set (and it'd have to be a SAB product as long as it's called Miller Park) (Edit: I suppose Sentry or something similarly congruous could sponsor it again, but there will definitely have to be a sponsor for them to put the stein up now that precedence has been set)

I like this. And there are two Bernie's during games anyway. One in the stands, and one who goes down the slide, so no he wouldn't be walking around wet. I think it's a cool idea, and I wouldn't care if I got wet. They can adjust it, so it only does that during hot days.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

How about Bernie just slides into a stein of golden-colored water?

Which probably wouldn't be all that different than the actual water at the water park. I always freak out when I go to water parks because I can't imagine how many people relieve themselves in those things.

I guess its better than before....

But on the family friendly thing vs. having a stein - The team is named the Brewers, the park is named Miller Park, guys are yelling "Beer Here", theres a big Miller ad in center, the mascot is a beermaker. etc. I don't see how having a stein to slide into is a big deal.

I was running this evening, and stopped by the stadium to check out the splash zone. (all panels were open). It looked alright sitting there next to the slide. It's like the opposite of going over Niagara falls in a barrel. I can live with it. but that C-it-Go home run pump, that has to go!

I guess its better than before....

But on the family friendly thing vs. having a stein - The team is named the Brewers, the park is named Miller Park, guys are yelling "Beer Here", theres a big Miller ad in center, the mascot is a beermaker. etc. I don't see how having a stein to slide into is a big deal.

I agree. I grew up watching Bernie slide into a mug of beer (loved the balloons that were released) and I believe I grew up into a semblance of a productive member of society.

While I think the "splash zone" or whatever makes more "sense" than just landing on the platform, I still think it would make the most sense given the city and the team name and the history to have him slide from a chalet down past a wooden barrel keg into a gigantic steinof beer (and that makes a ton of sense, right? Yikes!).

In all seriousness, I've never been able to figure out why they didn't bring it over from County other than a presumed sponsorship issue with Sentry.

I saw a TV bit on this last night on the news and the guy interviewed about the water gun that is going to shoot water basically said that how much water they shoot out will depend on the type of day. At least that is what he hinted at. So if it is 40 degrees outside and 60 in the park you can expect a minimal amount of water falling on the crowd. However in Mid-July when it is 85 degrees out at 7:00 p.m. and there is a threat of T-storms, the roof is closed and Miller Park is a sauna, it seems like they would shoot a lot more water out, thereby cooling off the fans in that area.

I think it is a brilliant idea. If you have a problem with the water there are a lot of other bleacher seats that wont be affected.

Community Moderator
It's not a mug, but I could see how that Kalahari platform could be easily converted to a mug when the sponsorship ends. It already kind of looks like the top of a mug.

I wouldn't be very happy about it. Depending on the amount of water, they better post signs stating that this section can get wet. People do bring very expensive phones/cameras into the park, and if I got sopping wet and damage an electronic item (Or my score card!), I wouldn't be to happy.

If I already bought seats to a sold out game and don't want to sit in that area, what do I do? (Not me personally, but a general question)

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived