Brewer Fanatic

Ones that got away?

I post this just about every year- something i do for fun. The current All-Brewer Alumni Team. Just to see how the ghosts would stack up against the current Brewer roster. This year, would be a great 7 game series. But I think I'd give it to our current core. What do you think? and would you change the roster?

STARTERS

SS- Marco Scutaro

2B- Mark Loretta

CF- Laynce Nix

LF- El Caballo

RF- Nelson Cruz

3B- Russell Branyan

1B- Lyle Overbay

C- Chris Coste

RESERVES

OF- Gary Sheffield

OF- Gabe Gross

OF- Matt LaPorta

1B- Matt Stairs

2B- Ron Belliard

C- Henry Blanco

STARTING PITCHERS

CC Sabathia

Ben Sheets

Doug Davis

Jorge De La Rosa

Dana Eveland

RELIEVERS

Francisco Cordero- ©

Scott Linebrink

Brian Shouse

Jeff Bennett

Grant Balfour

Joe Thatcher

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that we would still have him but the Yankees agreed to trade Alfonso Soriano (as a prospect) for Dave Nillson to help their pennet run and Wendy Selig came down from the owners box and vetoed the trade because she didnt want it to affect ticket sales and give the fans the impression they were giving up on the season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To be fair, Ben Sheets hasn't "gotten away" quite yet.... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The main question I have about trying to keep Nelson is: How long do you wait for him to come around as a bench player? 5 years ago, we hang on to him (maybe even start him). But this season, I'm willing to give up on the promise of a "decent bench player" for a one year fill-in that can hit right now (Cat). Not that Nelson would torpedo our playoff or WS chances, but every little bit helps.

The difference between Gross and Nelson is that Gross proved himself in the majors as a bench OF. Nelson hasn't. Some starters just don't make that transition to the bench for several years or at all. Thats why players like Lenny Harris and Matt Stairs stay around forever - because they know how to produce as a bench player with random AB and playing time.

Nelson may become that, but I'm not sure I want to chance that this season. I really hoped he would take the assignment at AAA and could play his way back up later.

Not that we would still have him but the Yankees agreed to trade Alfonso Soriano (as a prospect) for Dave Nillson to help their pennet run and Wendy Selig came down from the owners box and vetoed the trade because she didnt want it to affect ticket sales and give the fans the impression they were giving up on the season.

Wow, that's bad if true. Was that the '99 season (after which, Nilsson temporarily retired)?

Crash2303 - wow, I did the same thing just last week, and came up with almost the exact same team. I think I had another reliever (Breslow maybe?) in place of Sheffield, and someone else for Sheets, since he's not playing ATM.

But this season, I'm willing to give up on the promise of a "decent bench player" for a one year fill-in that can hit right now (Cat). Not that Nelson would torpedo our playoff or WS chances, but every little bit helps.

If Nelson fills that role, you're set for awhile. After 20 some odd at-bats, getting rid of him is just strange. Cat could fill the role, but now there will be a revolving door the next few years. It's hard to find players that can fill those specific roles who actually fit the roles well.

It just seems odd that the Brewers put him on the 25-man at the start of the year and after 20 some at-bats they've changed their mind. Again, it's not going to crush the Brewers this year. It will just mean they'll likely have a few bench spots to fill next year and they will most likely cost more than the minimum contract Nelson had. I personally would like to see Nelson type guys on the bench if it helps to extend our starters or go after free agents that could fill other voids.

Great topic. Frankly this discussion shows me that at least recently Brewer management has done a decent job of not getting burned. If I recall correctly the Bando handling of the Molitor negotiation was one of the last straws that finally sent him packing. More recently the premier players lost such as Lee, Cordero & CC have been all about small market realities in baseball. Branyan might be the one exception of a guy who could be starting for us right now but isn't. Even that's short lived though if Gamel progresses on defense and we retain Prince. Overall, I have to hand it to Melvin.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If Nelson fills that role

Yeah, that was my point. "If". I'm guessing DM thought he would accept the AAA assignment and go get back on track hence the short 20-some-AB rope. But expectations are high this year and that is a good thing. Can't wait for someone to figure it out in the MLB anymore. I hate to see him go, but its also good to see that we don't have the cellar-dwellar mentality anymore.

Think Nelson was released over McGehee because he was left handed (i.e. need the RH bats on the bench)? Otherwise, neither is really doing much as a PH.

Think Nelson was released over McGehee because he was left handed (i.e. need the RH bats on the bench)? Otherwise, neither is really doing much as a PH.

I would think Nelson was the one to go instead of McGehee because McGehee can play 2B and 3B. Nelson was pretty limited defensively. Not good for a bench player.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Verified Member
Postseason2006 wrote:

Gary Sheffield still kills me...for Bones, Mieske, and Valentin....

Yes, but without this trade we wouldn't be cheering for Dave Bush....

Bones ---> traded for Wickman ---> traded for Sexson ---> traded for Overbay ---> traded for Bush.

See, 17 years later we are still reaping the benefits of that trade!

If we're just talking about "ones that got away" and not necessarily via the trade, then number one is the easiest answer in the world. Paul Molitor.

Man that one killed me. Easily my favorite Brewer off all time thus far. I can still remember seeing him in the Toronto uni doing a press conference after he signed. I just wanted to cry.

Archived