Brewer Fanatic

Chad Cordero available?

I saw a little blurb on Rotoworld.com that Chad Cordero could be had for a couple of prospects. Why would the Nationals trade him? He has to be at least 2 years away from free agency, and he's 25 years old w/ a career 2.63 era. What could we offer besides Gallardo and Inman to get him?

(better subject -TC)

[ Two prospects, like Yo and Wil, are probably feasible. ]

I could get on board for trading quality prospects for a guy with 3 years left on his contract like Cordero... However, I think Gallardo and Inman would be a STEEP price. Closers get a pretty penny in arbitration, and I would certainly take that into consideration when swinging a deal like this.

Maybe the Brewers could get away with unloading more lesser prospects with potential upside (Hendrickson, Jackson, Brad Nelson, Lou Palmisano...etc, etc, etc) along with more of a blue-chip prospect for Cordero.... If I'm the Nats, I could be looking for prospect quantity instead of quality, just because they're in such dire straits.

I would most definitely not trade both Inman and Gallardo for Cordero. First off, we really don't need a closer all that much. Secondly, starting pitching is way more valuable than relief pitching (they'll pitch 3 times as many innings in a year), and thirdly those two guy's potential (especially Gallardo) could exceed Cordero's abilities.

Now, an Inman + a bunch of second tier prospects I could get on board with, but not the two of the. I would even be hesitant to put Gallardo in a trade even without Inman.

I was trying to say what would it take to get Cordero w/out adding Gallardo and Inman. I think it would be worth it if we could get him for Zack Jack and one or two other mid tier prospects.

He is a great relief pitcher, and I think it is crazy to compare him to Dan Kolb. He has been lights out since entering the league, and he is only 25 years old.

Earlier in the offseason when Boston and Washington were attempting to work out a deal for Cordero Washington was asking for the world. I remember rotoworld.com reporting that the Nationals asked for Jon Lester (not sure how that would work seeing as he is/was coming back from cancer, or if that proves the "report" to be false), Craig Hansen, and another high ceiling prospect an outfielder (cf) forgetting his name think he was in AA last year, or Bard as a PTBL.

So if that in fact was the case for the Brewers to attempt to aquire Cordero it would cost Yovanni Gallardo, who has more value than Lester, and at least one more player. I would think that the Nationals would try and get Gallardo, Jackson, and Angel Salome.

Gallardo for Cordero straight up no thanks, having to throw in extra parts to get Cordero no, no. no.

I wouldn't mind aquiring Cordero seeing as I would really like to see the Brewers do everything possible to make 2 year run, with Bennie Sheets. If the club could, not at all likely, but IF, Will Inman, Zach Jackson, and Alcides Escobar could net Chad Cordero that I would probably be all over.

Zach Jackson and Escobar are two player that I wouldn't really care if we lost. Will Inman is a guy that I really don't want to get rid of but if he could end up netting the Brewers a player that could dramatically improve the club's chances over the next two years I would definitely think that it should be explored.

I posted in the turnbow thread that the red sox announced earlier today tha tpapelbon would be their closer until further notice unless they acquired a closer from outside the organization.

as i read this thread , I'm going to speculate the red Sox have been in contact with the nationals about cordero.

Cordero, IMO, is the kind of dude you pick up near the deadline when you're on the verge and he can push you over the top. The price is just gonna be too high for a player that wouldn't be worth it unless he's pushing you into the postseason.

I just don't think we need bullpen help as badly as some other teams at this point, and we therefore won't be willing to outbid them.

If we could get him for Jackson and the Hurricane (benefiting from his incredible spring), I'd probably go ahead with this one. I might even be willing to swap Jackson with Villenueva.

If the Brewers added Cordero, and Turnbow returned to form, we would have the makings of an incredible bullpen. It would really shorten the game. Three All Star quality closers on one team.

Just imagine...

7th inning - Turnbow

8th inning - C. Cordero

9th inning - F. Cordero

Add in the fact that Capellan still has closer potential, and we'd probably have the best pen in the bigs, to go along with our top notch rotation. Adding C.Cordero would be a huge step in making our pitching staff the best in baseball. I would not, however give up a Gallardo or Inman for a 60 inning pitcher, they are just too special and part of the long term success of our organization.

Would Chad be amenable to being an eighth inning guy, however? I just don't see how someone who has been closing for a couple years with very good success would go back to being a set-up man...unless his name is Brad Lidge. I always thought Lidge was an old-time closer, in that he had no problem coming in around the 7th and going from there, whther he needed Wagner or not.

I wouldn't want to give up much at all for a 60 innings pitcher. Simply put, I agree with Melvins "scrap heap" bullpen philosophy.

Not that i want us to try and trade for Cordero,but Melvin isn't exactly "scrap heaping" it on the closer role.

It's worth pointing out that F. Cordero is a free agent after this year. The odds of the Brewers re-signing him are probably less than 50%. I believe Wise is a free agent too. It sure would be nice to go into the offseason knowing that you already have good options for the 8th and 9th inning.

If the price was right, I'd sure like to have Chad Cordero and bump everyone else down a spot. I've no doubt that there will be some issues in the bullpen before the season is over. Very few teams can avoid it, even when the bullpen is solid overall. If the Brewers make a trade at the deadline, beefing up the bullpen is the likeliest target. So, why not target one of the best relievers that is reportedly available?

Robert

Archived