Brewer Fanatic

Jack Zduriencik All-Star team

Jack Z deserves a lot of the credit for his efforts in drafting many of the stars we are seeing now. Feel free to correct/add/edit.

C- Angel Salome

1st- Fielder

2nd- Weeks

SS- Hardy

3rd- Gamel

OF- Bruan, Nelson Cruz, Hart

SP- Gallardo, Parra

RP- ?

Bench- LaPorta, Hall, Escobar

RP- ?

This is the one glaring weakness that I see in Jack Z's tenure with the Brewers. They were unable to produce serviceable bullpen arms during his time here. Mitch Stetter is really the only name that comes to mind in terms of home-grown relievers. Am I overlooking anybody?

If you are going to give credit to Jack Z you need to give it to Melvin as well, he is a big part of the decision making for who to draft.

Can you prove that? Because my impression is the exact opposite as I posted in the Cruz thread, I admit though that I may have my stories crossed up.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Can you prove that? Because my impression is the exact opposite as I posted in the Cruz thread, I admit though that I may have my stories crossed up.
Can you prove it isn't? I've never read an interview by a GM that didn't say they had a lot of input into the drafts, especially the first few round players. They don't just let the scouting director pick all the players, they are part of the decision. An example from an interview with Billy Beane. Unless the Brewers are a very abnormal system Melvin had a good bit of input on who to take in our drafts, it is part of his job.

Billy Beane: Well, we have a lot of different scouts covering different areas. Most of my communication is vis-a-vis the scouting director and my player personnel director, who usually try to see the top 100 to 150 players in the country. Usually I will go and talk to the area scouts before the draft when it comes to certain players or certain high profile individuals. We bring all of our scouts in for the draft, and once they come in for the draft there is a lot of interaction on certain parts, but my involvement is mainly on the higher round guys. Usually through the first three or four rounds, and once we get deeper into the draft, that's when you are really relying heavily on your area scouts, and the scouting director will coordinate that a lot as the draft goes along.

I already posted what I thought I had read or heard through pre game audio previously in the Cruz thread.

I'll search around, it it was pregame audio that's lost forever, if it was in print maybe Mass linked to it on the minor league forum.

What does Beane have to do with Melvin? Beane himself said he wasn't involved past the initial rounds. We have had some early round successes to be sure, but the Brewers have had great success in later rounds as well... Hart, Parra, Gamel, Salome, Brantley, Gindl, Green, Cain, and Scarpetta all come to mind off the top of my head. I'm not sure how much input he had with International Signings either.

I'm sure Melvin gives his input, but the draft was hardly his baby.

I found it, I knew I had seen it on Brewerfan.net someplace. Link below, no linkage with IE 6.0 at work.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/search.php?keywords=348515/t/Hey-Colby-a-question-about-how-the-Brewers-handle-the-draft.html#reply-348515

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Well I didn't say the draft was his baby, I said he is a large part of the decision making process. Nothing in that post suggests he isn't, just that Jack has the final word.

I feel the same way about trades of prospects btw, Melvin might ultimately pull the trigger on a trade but Jack Z is giving a lot of feedback as well and should get part of the praise/blame for a trade.

Absolutely Jack and his staff were a large part of the trades as well, I have no problem with that.

- Plato

- Plato

We have had some early round successes to be sure, but the Brewers have had great success in later rounds as well... Hart, Parra, Gamel, Salome, Brantley, Gindl, Green, Cain, and Scarpetta all come to mind off the top of my head.

Not to be picky TheCrew07. We do agree on most things with the minor league guys, but the only proven MLB guys on the list are Hart and Parra. I do hope the rest are MLB players. I'm most concerned about Salome right now.

I wasn't suggesting they are all solid MLB players right now or will be in the future JJ, but they do provide value to the organization in a variety of different ways, more value than Neugy, Gold, etc.. for example Brantley was a piece that helped acquire pitching and a playoff appearance, the value in that is debatable, but it's still fantastic to flip a 7th round pick as part of a deal for a CY pitcher. Z did a heck of job with draft and follows and finding value later on in the draft. Most organizations wish they could pull 3 of those players over that same period of time, and we already have 3 MLB players from that round 5+ group in Hart, Parra, and Gamel, with the potential for more impact on the way.

I also like Bowman but I left him off that list cause no one would agree with me yet, his bandwagon has plenty of room people!

- Plato

- Plato

Archived