Brewer Fanatic

Why does McGehee get the call?

Yeah, the guy had a good spring and deserves to be on the team, but why is he going to get first shot at a platoon at second? He's got to be fourth of the Hall/Gamel/Counsell quartret. Maybe even fifth when you consider Iribarren is coming up having played 2B more and off to a better start offensively (albeit in AAA). I guess it all comes back to wanting Gamel in there everyday for me, but I don't think this guy deserves any bigger role than a spot start once every 7-10 days and maybe a couple additional pinch hitting chances (if our starters don't make it too long into the game).

Has there been any official word?

I know TH has speculated that Hall will play 3rd with Counsell and McG splitting time at 2nd, but I'm still holding out hope for Gamel getting nearly full time at 3rd and Hall and Counsell splitting time at 2nd (post interleague).

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I could definitely live with Gamel getting more PT against righties at 3rd. The guy is too good of a hitter to keep out of the lineup much like Braun 2 years ago. He looked very good making that diving play and then unfotunately looked awful on that slow bouncer to him in the 7th. If he can keep producing offensively though, I believe it is worth the risk as it is not like Hall is a spot on in the field either.

I think a platoon can make some amount of sense. Hernan is a lefty so he can't platoon with Counsell. I agree that Gamel every day would probably be preferable but if they want to still give Bill playing time at 3rd to lessen the impact of Gamel's defense, using McGehee some at 2nd does seem like the way to go rather than playing Counsell full time.

I don't think what we do against lefties will really matter that much since we hit them so well anyway. McGehee has a good defensive reputation so I don't think he'll hurt us.

It is the plan vs RH that interests me the most.

If Gamel stays up after interleague play I would hope he'd be starting at least 5 days a week while getting replaced defensively late in close games.

What is more likely is that he'll get sent down after the Twins series and get called back up before the June 12th series against the White Sox and the rest of interleague.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Hart for sure. I wish Hart would just be the everyday lead off hitter from now on, but a Counsell-Kendall-Pitcher bottom of the order is pretty punchless.

GhostofQuantrill

I'd almost like to see Macha make Hart the full time leadoff hitter and tell him his job is to take walks. See if maybe putting him in an OBP role can teach him to stop swinging for the fences and stop swinging at so much junk. The obvious problem with that is if he fails to actually get on base it hurts the team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm actually somewhat surprised they called up Hurricane, anyway. With Counsell, Hall, Gamel and McGehee already on the roster, I figured they would handle 2B & 3B in somewhat a platoonish manner. Basically like Macha has done- let the player "write" his name in the lineup: i.e. play the hot bat.

I think the original plan was to bring up Gamel (DFA Nelson), then return Gamel after the interleague series and bring back an OF. Right now, Duffy is the only backup OF we have. Does bringing Hurricane up signal Gamel (goes back same as before), so Cat can come up? If they will return Hurricane later, why not bring Cat up now?

They probably want Cat to get some at bats in the minors since he didn't really have Spring Training. I'd like to see Hurricane a couple times a week at 2B in the interim. He's alos been playing a little OF the last couple of years hasn't he? If he hits at all he could stay on the team the for the rest of the year.

My brain is almost ready to explode trying to think of how to shuffle the infielders around. But here is my idea:

Houston series - I really don't care much who plays where. Give McGehee a start, give Hurricane a start, whoever. I don't care.

Minnesota series - DH Gamel. Hall/Counsell platoon at 3B. Hurricane/McGehee platoon at 2B.

send Hurricane back to Nashville after Minnesota unless he's totally raking.

NL series - Gamel at 3B, Hall at 2B (will also move to 3B when we need late inning defensive replacement or to give Gamel a day off), Counsell backup all infield spots except 1B, McGehee backup 2B or 3B if needed.

Interleague - Repeat Minnesota plan unless we have more injuries or other roster moves have been made since.

I don't think I can follow that after reading through it.

I'd almost like to see Macha make Hart the full time leadoff hitter and tell him his job is to take walks. See if maybe putting him in an OBP role can teach him to stop swinging for the fences and stop swinging at so much junk. The obvious problem with that is if he fails to actually get on base it hurts the team.
I agree with both angles of the point here. I think I'd roll the dice with Hart at leadoff as well, but clearly the problem is that if he flops there, there really isn't a good choice for leadoff.

Yes, Counsell fits some elements of a leadoff hitter's profile, but he's not the player I want to see getting the greatest number of PAs v. RHP. Toss that one around in your brain for a bit... the most likely move Macha will make here is to ensure that Counsell gets more PA v. RHP than Fielder, Gamel, Braun, Hardy, etc.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If Hall and MaGehee are in the same lineup, I think I'd rather have Hall at 2B and MaGehee at 3B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If Hall and MaGehee are in the same lineup, I think I'd rather have Hall at 2B and MaGehee at 3B.
That would probably be a better defensive alignment. But my money says Hall won't play one inning at 2B. I see Macha keeping him and Gamel at 3rd, Counsell/McGehee/Iriibarren at 2nd to keep things simple. Counsell might play a Sunday or two at ss to give JJ a rest.

I think Gamel is up to stay and will get a good shot of sticking at least as part of a platoon at 3B with the DH in interleague. I think we have to be careful on a couple things.

1) Gamel is unlikely to repeat Braun's stats of 2007. Considering it was one of the top two offensive years by a rookie in the last 30 years along with Pujols...I'm not sure who will. I agree with those who've targeted a mid-800 OPS. That's well below Braun, but still very productive. Let's just manage our expectations and not get on Mat when he goes 0-4 with 3 K's.

2) Fielding is important, especially for our pitching. Our pitching wore down badly in 2007. Some blame could go to Yost's management, but some goes to our horrible defense. The Brewers are now an above average defensive team. Even if errors don't turn into runs, they do turn into extra pitches. Look at last night...those errors took an inning of work away from Looper and put it on our bullpen. If Gamel is going to be Braun at 3B circa 2007, that will not be good news for our pitchers.

I do think they should give Mat a shot at 3B with Hall in a modified platoon...with Hall and Counsell also at 2B. Give him a shot, but we'll really have to watch his D. Hall has been very solid at 3B, even if he can't hit righties.

Archived