Brewer Fanatic

To all Brewer fans...

I've read all the comments, please take a few minutes to read mine.

Where do I start?

Never in a million years did I ever imagine catching a player's 1st career home run ball would spiral into such a debate. People across the country are divided on this issue. Some think I'm a liar, a phony and a cheat. Some think I didn't ask for enough. Who's right? Who's wrong? I don't think there's a clear answer to this debate.

FACT: After I caught the baseball, I DID ask for two (2) bats in return for the baseball. One from Chris Coghlan AND one from Chris' teammate Hanley Ramirez. I requested BOTH be personalized to me.

FACT: I DID settle for one bat (the Coghlan) and the promise of Brewers/Marlins tickets (during the June 1-4 series in Florida) without fuss.

Somewhere in the process, things became so distorted that I fear they're beyond repair.

Personally, I still take the stance that asking for two bats was not excessive. Although, the purpose of this write-up is not to justify my actions, nor is it an effort to gain any individual approval.

I just feel the need to speak up and inform.

First of all, ballhawking IS my hobby. I don't ask that you understand it, I simply ask that you do not criticize me for doing so. While I admit, it may come across a bit odd to many, the truth is, many pastimes people partake in could potentially fall under this category. Is it fair to fault someone for doing something they enjoy? As long as the behavior of the pastime is not juvenile, the answer is NO.

The same goes for adults who bring their glove to the park. Does anyone have the right to criticize someone for this? Is there an age limit on playing baseball and catching baseballs? NO, and there's no need to justify this, either.

The manner in which I ballhawk:

FACT: Beginning this season, I have begun to bring the opponent's gear ONLY to wear during that team's portion of BP. As soon as their BP session is over, I put on my Happy Youngster shirt and Brewers hat. While some find this cheating, deceitful, despicable, disloyal...I find that it maximizes the total amount of baseballs that get tossed into the crowd. Think about this-how many opponents toss baseballs to Brewers fans during BP. The answer is not too many. Whether people think it's right or wrong, this helps souvenirs make the stands that would normally not be thrown. It DOES NOT make me lesser of a Brewers fan, just a smarter ballhawk. Marcus Hanel has been playful about it, why can't everyone else?

FICTION: I trample kids/elderly/men/women to get baseballs. This is NOT how I operate. While it's impossible to be perfectly graceful in snagging baseballs, I do try to avoid contact at all costs. Although, contact is sometimes unavoidable. As long as it happens in an unintentional, spirited, competitive fashion and doesn't involve kids.

I admit, during my County Stadium days, I was much more aggressive. But, I've learned a lot over the years. Now, I avoid standing where children are present altogether. Nothing but a no-win for me when I'm trying to catch baseballs. The truth is, I've helped people avoid more injury than you could possibly imagine.

Use of the glove trick:

FACT: The glove trick is NOT illegal. Nor is it stealing. It's simply obtaining a ball that would not normally be attainable by the use of some sort of device. While it may be in violation of some usher's personal conduct policy, it is no different than using the cup trick, a butterfly net, soup can on a string, etc. Actually, approx. 1/2 the major league teams in baseball allow the use of these said devices-as long as they are not used on a ball in play. The other 1/2 will tell you to put it away and to not be seen using it again.

(In the past, I've been applauded by both fans and ushers for putting this method on display)

Hogging baseballs:

FACT: The reason I started my MLBlog was to be able to share it with other fans, kids, parents, etc. so they could learn how to ballhawk themselves. I share all my methods, insist on tastefulness in doing so and never intend any ill-will. I get hundreds of readers from both kids and parents alike, thanking me for helping their son/daughter obtain that elusive prized souvenir at the ballpark. That being said, any individual is free to grab their mitt, head to the ballpark early and attempt to catch their own. Should I be looked down upon because I've got the knack for it? It's a free world we live in...anyone is entitled to try to grab their own prized souvenir. MLB ballparks are big places. There's enough room for all of us. While I fully admit that snagging 14 baseballs in one day could easily be perceived as excessive, please know that of the 775+ baseballs I have snagged in my lifetime, only approx. 20% remain in my collection. The rest have been given away without recourse or reward.

I understand that this will never be good enough for certain people...this I cannot change.

FICTION: That I'm "greedy" and out to make a profit.

I DO NOT sell any of the baseballs I retrieve. Nor, do I sell any of the items I receive in return for the few milestones I have retrieved. It's just not true.

Even if someone did sell stuff to make a buck, I wouldn't frown on them for doing so.

FACT: Home run balls mean more to me than the average fan.

It's my hobby! Of course they have value to me. If someone didn't care about snagging a ball at the game, I wouldn't expect that person to care what they get for it in return. On the flip side, they mean a lot to me. So, naturally, I'll ask for something comparable in return. The value of the ball lies in the eye of the beholder. Plain and simple.

The use of my employment as some sort of tactic/threat:

FALSE. In every sense of the word.

The only reason that was brought up was because I wanted the exchange to be person-to-person. Mr. Coghlan was already ticked off, I just wanted him to know that I was a regular guy and not the scam-artist they were making me out to be. I was not looking for an advantage nor was I looking for respect. I wasn't complaining about my salary or looking for any type of sympathy, nor did I feel entitled to anything special.

If you guys can't see this, I don't know how to make it any easier.

I admit now-saying that back-fired. People just ran with it and drew their own conclusions. Very irrational and ill-advised conclusions, I might add.

I will certainly never mention that again under any context.

So, what did I learn from this??

• The media will distort the truth.
  • Sports fans will distort the truth.
  • Never include a player in the deal who had nothing to do with the home run. (I know-I know...it's happened before with Geoff Jenkins. I made mistakes with that one. I admit that).

I'll never know why Chris Coghlan lied to the media about what happened. But, when this happens again (it will happen again), only the player who hit the ball will be included. That's for certain.

This fact remains: I still wouldn't change my initial request for trading that ball back to Chris Coghlan.

What really stinks is that people are saying I make all Brewers fans look bad.

For that, I am truly sorry.

As far as all the disparaging remarks...it's flat-out immature and uncalled for. You can speak your mind about a topic without making yourself look uneducated in the process.

Finally, for those of you who know me or have met me in the past, it's not a coincidence that you supported me. For those of you who do not know me, try introducing yourself the next time you see me at the ballpark. You might not be so quick to judge. For those that just don't care...don't say anything.

Your kid might still get a baseball from me.

Regardless of popular opinion, I AM a loyal Brewers fan and plan on being around for awhile.

Your responses are not necessary, I just wanted to put this to rest.

Yours truly,

"The Happy Youngster"

I don't care, loyal Brewer fans don't wear the other team's apparel no matter what the circumstances. I don't care if you collect balls for a hobby, dooesn't it mean it a little more by getting them fair and square rather than tricking opposing players and coaches?

I am still not sure who I believe on this subject. Probably a little bit of both. And Yes asking for a bat from Hanley Ramirez was completely out of line.

Community Moderator

Is it fair to fault someone for doing something they enjoy? As long as the behavior of the pastime is not juvenile, the answer is NO.

I think a lot of the debate stems around whether or not the behavior taking place in the midst of the pastime is "juvenile", to use your word. Changing uniforms to other teams to trick the bullpen/players, seat jumping, taking balls that don't belong to you, etc doesn't seem like mature behavior to a lot of people here.

We've already had one lengthy thread here that has been locked for various reasons, but HY certainly deserves the chance to clear the air here a bit. With that in mind, please keep in mind that the first sign of the personal attacks, namecalling, etc that plagued the other thread from any side of this will result in a quick pulling of the plug by the mods here.

Still not sure how the "glove trick" isn´t stealing. If the ball goes into the stands that´s one thing. Taking balls out of the bullpen seems to be quite another, and the fact that you admit to try to doing it while the usher isn´t looking is admitting that you knew you were doing something you shouldn´t have been doing. It may be no different than a net or a can, but then again, those would fall into the stealing category as well. I imagine if you´d ask the Brewers management whether you could use contraptions to take balls out of the bullpen, they would not agree with your view of it "not being stealing".

Second, the picture of you yelling at the Marlin´s employee doesn´t make it look like you accepted the tickets "without a fuss", nor did your own explanation on your blog make it appear to be something you conceded "without a fuss". The fact that the team sent out their psychologist, and how you described your interaction with him would suggest that you may have put up at least a bit of a "fuss".

All that said, I can say that I am glad that you have come around to seeing that asking for a person´s property who isn´t involved in the situation is not a good idea. Also, thank you for apologizing for making us Brewer fans look bad. That was very much appreciated. Hopefully this is the last time such an apology is needed.

FICTION:

I trample kids/elderly/men/women to get baseballs. This is NOT how I operate. While it's impossible to be perfectly graceful in snagging baseballs, I do try to avoid contact at all costs. Although, contact is sometimes unavoidable. As long as it happens in an unintentional, spirited, competitive fashion and doesn't involve kids.

I admit, during my County Stadium days, I was much more aggressive. But, I've learned a lot over the years. Now, I avoid standing where children are present altogether. Nothing but a no-win for me when I'm trying to catch baseballs. The truth is, I've helped people avoid more injury than you could possibly imagine.

This is the main problem I have. Whether or not the contact is intentional, it is not justified just to get a BP ball which you already have hundreds of. To me it seems like your saying there are occasions where you would be justified in running into someone to get a ball.

Boy, I don't have mich problem with anything you did, but at this point can recommend you just shut up and stop talking about it? You aren't helping yourself (Me thinks thou doth protest too much).

I'm not going to debate your opinions with you because there's obviously no changing your mind. I'll respond and leave it at that as I read each paragraph.

Asking for anything from Ramirez is out of line, I would have thought you learned that after the Jenkins incident. Not only that but you continued to insult the players, the organization, and their fan base with your subsequent comments about only 15,000 people in the stands.

Wearing the opponent's gear to swindle them out of balls is classless, regardless of your justification.

You may have cleaned up your act, but many of us remember watching you on TV at County Stadium when you originally earned your moniker, while you may have changed your ways, people are commenting on what you've done, and those are factual statements. Yes you certainly are the epitome of injury prevention, and it's beyond the grasp of mere mortals the bumps and bruises you've saved people.

I shouldn't be surprised that you're justifying the ball trick, you have no legal ground to stand on, you're stealing balls. You're a cop for goodness sake, the line should be clearly defined for you. People accepting your behavior doesn't make your actions correct, moral, or decent in any way.

As a very disinterested observer, your blog appears to be more about self promotion than sharing your hobby. At the very least getting yourself another 15 minutes of fame probably exponentially increased the hits to your blog. I actually stumbled across your blog this winter after you PM'd me and that was my impression at that time, I was googling trying to figure out how you found a post so old to comment on.

Greed is a matter of opinion, and you are greedy to many of us, we see a pattern of milking the situation for all it's worth, and that's greed.

There's no way you can prove Home Run balls mean more to you than the rest of us, I would love to catch a ball, even a foul ball, and I've never caught one nor has anyone I know or have gone to games with. We're 0 for 1000s games combined over the last 20 years.

If you don't think your job entitles you to some extra respect, then why even bring up how much money you make and what you do for a living? Why throw that in the face of the athlete you're "negotiating" with? That's not personalizing the negotiation, I've been around plenty of high level business negotiations and you're about as far from true negotiating as it gets.

You do make us all look bad because you've become the face of Brewer fans to the national media, and many of us have no use for your behavior regardless of how you try to justify it. You don't conduct yourself with any class, dignity, or integrity and it ticks me off that I continually read fallout related to you every day as I bump around the web. Sooner or later this will blow over and we'll forget about you again, hopefully for good this time.

You've earned all of the criticism you've gotten, it comes with the publicity... people aren't going to hold hands and sing your praises when a very small percentage of people actually support your actions. This is almost a mirror image of the Jenkins incident, only this time it went national. If you don't want the attention, why search for "Happy Youngster" references here? Why the blog? Why the media attention?

Your facts are actually opinions in most cases.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Southpaw - I found THIS on another "ballhawkers" blog after trying to search google for the very same thing. Ironically enough, he knows HY, so I assume that this is the same trick.

HY: As I have never really heard of you before this and don't have any opinions on your past actions, I don't have much of a response. I'll leave most of it up to the other people here. I was intrigued by this, however:

"Is it fair to fault someone for doing something they enjoy? As long as the behavior of the pastime is not juvenile, the answer is NO."

Now maybe I am in the minority (and I can very well be wrong), but I think putting on other teams gear to deceive the players, fishing balls out of the bullpen/off the field with a glove, and "ballhawking" in general is pretty juvenile considering the amount of balls you already have. That being said, I am sure I do things that you think are dumb/juvenile, so to each his own. I wish you safe travels and just hope that you represent the Brewers fan base in an intelligent, honest, and positive manner.

Think about this-how many opponents toss baseballs to Brewers fans during BP. The answer is not too many.

I have been to many road Brewers games (most of them in LA the last five years, plus San Diego, San Francisco, and a number of others), and not once have I ever had a Brewers player toss a ball at me. I almost always have great seats, reasonably close to the dugout or bullpen.

Maybe the "Tropical Tuesday" jersey throws them off.

Not sure if I'd want to catch a baseball either, because from what I've seen if a kid is anywhere within 20 seats you get booed if you don't give it to them. (Personally, any kid that is privileged enough to sit in field level seats is lucky enough as is and shouldn't be given a ball just because he/she's a kid. Upper deck and bleachers, where my parents could only afford to sit - different story. Chuck the balls up there, not to the spoiled rich kid sitting next to the dugout.)

My only advice to the author, and anyone reading this thread, is that with just about anyone and anything in life it's not what you do but how you do it that matters more.

I don't have a lot of new thoughts on this, I agree with TheCrew07 and GormanHarvey for the most part. My one question is, if this isn't just another plea for publicity; why would you add the tags happy and youngster? Just to make it easier to find this search later to call out anyone who disagrees with you?
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I generally try to avoid controversy in life, but I do generally agree with the sentiments of TheCrew07. In generally, HY's opinions are in the extreme minority. He states his version of the story. While his might be correct, it still does not paint his actions in a positive light. I personally cannot ask any players for an autograph unless I have a personal connection to them, because I worked in the AFL and saw the autograph hounds bothering guys like Huston Street, Ryan Howard, and Stephen Drew on a daily basis. I remember occasionally walking with them to their car because if they were speaking with me, the hounds were less aggressive. It made me realize that I will forever treasure the autographs I have from these guys, but also that they are for me and me alone.

why would you add the tags happy and youngster?
He probably meant to create a single "happy youngster" tag but didn't catch the trick for doing it. (You need to put a comma after the two words.) I've changed the tag to "fanissues," but not because "happy youngster" would have been objectionable. It's simply that Yuku has a 100 tag per forum limit, so we have to economize somewhat. "fanissues" covers all topics of this genre.

It's no big deal for mods to change things around to stay under this limit. FYI, ML forum tagging information is located in the first reply of the MLB Forum FAQ.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The reason I started my MLBlog was to be able to share it with other fans, kids, parents, etc. so they could learn how to ballhawk themselves.

Now, I'm no officer of the law, but couldn't this be considered "contributing to the delinquency of a minor"?

The glove trick is NOT illegal. Nor is it stealing. It's simply obtaining a ball that would not normally be attainable by the use of some sort of device.

Head asplode.

You like balls, I don't really care about that. It seems silly to me, but I'm sure you would find a lot of my hobbies to be silly. Dressing up as a fan of the other team is just weird though...I'm completely serious when I ask, are you actually a Brewer fan, or are you just a fan of the baseballs?

Yes, I think you did ask for too much. I would have felt bad asking for just Chris Coghlan's bat. Asking for Ramirez' bat is way over the top, and seems incredibly rude to me. I don't blame Coghlan one bit for being irritated with you, I would have been too.

Some think the attention has gone to your head. ...

Translation: "I don't really want to actually debate anything specific with anybody like a message board or something. Who needs that, I'm the happy youngster baby!"

I'd say we just jumped from civil discourse right over brutal honesty into condescending talk.

(edit: long quote --1992)

FACT: Beginning this season, I have begun to bring the opponent's gear ONLY to wear during that team's portion of BP. As soon as their BP session is over, I put on my Happy Youngster shirt and Brewers hat.
Well as long as we know who you're rooting for. Yourself.

Apparently Pittsburgh takes batting practice all the way up till gametime?

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/assets_c/2009/04/21_pirates_fans_on_tv-thumb-550x412-1095921.jpg

Oh Yeah!! IBTL!!! That's my hobby!!

It's been awhile . . . .

I'd say we just jumped from civil discourse right over brutal honesty into condescending talk.

And I'm sure Happy "I think most people are jealous of me" Youngster is enjoying the attention.

I've already said my piece on this issue in the original thread about this "incident".

I guess I just feel that if you have to have an internal monologue with yourself, and then post it for the world to see, you're trying to justify something most people wouldn't be comfortable with, and then you're trying to get more attention on top of it. No other real justification for your latest post.

I'm willing to accept that what you posted might have been the truth, or very close to it, but it still doesn't make me agree with you wearing other teams' clothing to deceive them. And I surely can't agree with the statement that using a glove on a string to take balls from the bullpen "isn't stealing." How can it be anything but? Those baseballs are property of MLB, they're not public property anyone can just take and use. I wonder what your superior officers would think about that.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Can we lock this thread up and just keep it as a statement from HY to Brewerfan.net. Nothing new or good can come of this.

Agreed. This statement does nothing but further cement HY as a whorish attention grabber.

He did what he did, and it is what it is -- this huge post, which could have been just posted on his blog, written in the ridiculous manner in which it was, is nothing more than an attempt to extend his already extinguishing 15 minutes of infamy.

I don't feel like he handled himself well after catching the HR, however, I can certainly understand getting caught up in the excitement of the moment -- but to suggest that people who took issue with what he did, are perceived to be "uneducated" is pure drivel.

I would like to close with a quote from Dad of Andrew.

"Oof"

Archived