Brewer Fanatic

Options to replace Weeks

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realize the Brewers wouldn't take on the full 5.5 mil, but three mil is still quite a bit to add if you're still planning on adding a good starting pitcher. To me, that's a much bigger need than a second baseman.

The money doesn't seem to be too bad at the prorated rate, but I'd be wary of trading any key prospects. If the Indians are looking for starting pitching that can carry them over...how about a Dillard, Iribarren or McGehee with a lower level prospect?

I think I'm down with that, depending if theres still money left for a pitcher later. De Rosa will be a type A FA I would think, so we could get 2 comp picks back. The money part is the big issue. An Ace type pitcher will be more important in the playoffs than the 2B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I think I'm down with that, depending if theres still money left for a pitcher later. De Rosa will be a type A FA I would think, so we could get 2 comp picks back. The money part is the big issue. An Ace type pitcher will be more important in the playoffs than the 2B.

If he's a type A, I'm a little less interested. The Brewers will be forced to offer arby and after what happened to marginal Type As this past off season, I bet a guy like DeRosa takes it.

Counsell:

Projection: .230 / .325 / .325

2009: .319 / .387 / .415 (94 AB)

A new batting stance does not begin to explain the difference between his expected and actual performance right now. He has a .363 BABIP right now vs. .291 for his career. Which number do you think it will be closer to going forward?

Maybe his new stance will help but we shouldn't expect him to even be an OK hitter at this point.

What about Felipe Lopez? The Diamondbacks are already out of it, and he's signed to only a one year deal, and only 29 years old.

I know he's been a bit banged up lately, but he'd be a nice spark at the top of the lineup like Weeks was, I'm not sure what the D-backs would want in return, seeing he's a FA after this year, I guess it depends if they think he'll be a type A, B, or receive no compensation.

He's currently hitting .323/.380/.485/.865 through 167 ABs, and last year in 43 games with the Cardinals, he had an OPS .100 above that.

He's always a switch hitter which would also be nice.

Funny you mention Felipe. I think there is a great chance that he is the one added over the more popular pick DeRosa. DeRosa has too much value because he play in multiple spots and teams will pay much more to get him over someone like Lopez. Lopez may cost you a player like Gillespie and a Single A pitching prospect. That depends on what type a free agent Lopez turns out to be as well in terms of trade value. (This is my opinion and not anything I heard by the way.)

I'd love Lopez, obviously depending on the compensation. Ideally I'd like a one year guy because it should not take as much to get him and I want 2nd free for Rickie next year.
Agreed. I didn't even realize that he is hitting leadoff and has experience/success at it. It really would be the perfect fit. I think the DeRosa thing appeals to fans because it would be a nice stick in the eye to Cubs considering their depth problems without them. Lopez also has a bit of that apeal, considering the Cards let him walk and all of their middle infield problems.

I've thought lopez would be a perfect fit since the day Weeks went down - he should come cheaply since he is on a 1 year deal from the D'backs and they are clearly looking to get younger.

I know I read something about the D'backs possibly wanting to move Webb as well, but I believe it was just a writer speculating......

I've thought lopez would be a perfect fit since the day Weeks went down - he should come cheaply since he is on a 1 year deal from the D'backs and they are clearly looking to get younger.

I know I read something about the D'backs possibly wanting to move Webb as well, but I believe it was just a writer speculating......

I was thinking about Webb being moved also but it would completely depend on his health. Plus his option for next year is rather inexpensive and I believe the D'backs will hold onto Webb this year and trade him next year if they are out of it next year. It all really depends how healthy Webb will be and if he can pitch this year. That team option for next year is not that big of a deal for Arizona just like Lee's isn't that big of a deal for Cleveland.

I heard the same thing TheCrew about them making Webb available when he comes back. But I think I agree with Nate, not sure why they would move him, his team option for next year is very fair at 8.5. If Webb comes back healthy and they dangle him(which I doubt) I'd love to know what it would take to get both of them.

Archived