Brewer Fanatic

Options to replace Weeks

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think either DeRosa or Grudz is on the team by this time next month. As others have said, Counsell is too old to keep this up every day, and McGehee isn't somebody you want to rely on in the midst of a pennant race.

What would it take to get DeRosa? Also, I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, but is there a way to get Cliff Lee and DeRosa as a package deal?

I'd hope the Brewers trade for DeRosa just to see him untuck'em at Wrigley!

While the Brewers do seem to have plenty of internal options to man second base, consider how good a fit DeRosa would be for this year:

- He's a free agent after this season, so he could walk, the Brewers could get comp picks and 2nd is open for Weeks next season

- Acquiring him keeps Counsel in the super utility role to back up any infielder, and keeps him from getting overused

- Keeps Hall at third, and if he continues to struggle against righties Gamel is an ideal platoon mate

- Some of the extra 2B/utility players the Brewers already have (McGehee, Irrabean) could be part of a trade to Cleveland so they have 2B covered the rest of the year - they wouldn't be the centerpiece of a trade, but could be added for roster management purposes. Apparently every high draft pick the Brewers made last year is converting to second, so the AAAA guys they have at that position are becoming increasingly expendable.

DeRosa gives you good pop for a 2B won't kill you defensively there...He would be worth kicking the tires on by Melvin. I think the problem would be the Indians' asking price may be too steep for it to make sense.

If Counsell's change in stance is the reason for his increased production then there is reason to think his high level of production could continue. Of course that assumes his body can handle it for which I trust Brewer management to determine. It's similar to the Branyan situation. He made a change in his batting stance also and now seems to be much more consistant at the plate. I agree though that DeRosa would be the guy if we go outside the organization.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/05/20/derosa.indians/index.html

Derosa is officially on the block. We don't have the pitching Cleveland wants, but I'd be overjoyed if we got him. If we take back all of his salary, I can't imagine that we'd have to give up grade A prospects. Hopefully the fact that Melvin/Shapiro connected so well on the CC deal can pay some dividends here.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I really think we need to go out and get someone (DeRosa would be perfect). I just can't say I'm the slightest bit excited about anyone we have on this current roster playing every day at 2B.

I know Melvin says he isn't looking for help outside the organization...

"Right now, Craig Counsell is doing a good job," Melvin said. "We'll stay with what we've got."

Melvin said he heard from the agent of unemployed Ray Durham, who played the second half of the season with the Brewers last year after being acquired from San Francisco. Melvin said he had no plans to pursue Durham, 37.

"I talked to his agent," Melvin said. "He said Ray is working out but that's the problem with these guys who are working out. It would take them awhile to get ready.

"I told him we're going to go in-house for now."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/45452052.html

...but hopefully that's just GM speak.

DeRosa is 34 and coming off a career year. I think expectations are a little too high for him. I would trade farm filler for him, but I wouldn't want to trade anybody that I might miss in the future. He looks to be a good hitter and an average or worse fielder at 2B. I think the Brewers could get close to that with a Counsell/Hall platoon without spending more dollars or giving up prospects.

I'd love DeRosa, but getting him would be our "add a piece later in the season" deal, which almost certainly means no additions of pitching at the deadline. While our pitching is great at the moment, I'd rather piece together a 2B plan and save our money & trading chips for July.

No coincidence that DeRosa is available now that there are two potential bidders in the Mets & Brewers. The money doesn't seem to be too bad at the prorated rate, but I'd be wary of trading any key prospects. If the Indians are looking for starting pitching that can carry them over...how about a Dillard, Iribarren or McGehee with a lower level prospect?

I'm not sure it's that big of an improvement, but the pure joy of him torturing the Cubs fans is worth the price...I know it's not rational, but it would be fun.

If the Indians want ML ready pitching, why not Seth McClung? The Indians can't be expecting too much considering DeRosa's age/impending free agency. I think the Brewers can get what they are getting from McClung out of AAA. Plus, correct me if I wrong, but doesn't DeRosa profile as a Type B free agent? So basically next year the Crew either gets a compensatory pick for him or he opts for arby and we have an affordable replacement for Counsel as the backup utility guy.

The Dodgers gave up a really nice prospect to get Casey Blake last year from the Indians. Carlos Santana was a really good catching prospect and they got a pitcher too. I have no idea what DeRosa would cost but I am guessing it is much more than Seth McClung, hopefully not.

The Dodgers gave up a really nice prospect to get Casey Blake last year from the Indians. Carlos Santana was a really good catching prospect and they got a pitcher too. I have no idea what DeRosa would cost but I am guessing it is much more than Seth McClung, hopefully not.
At 35, DeRosa strikes me as a Kevin Seitzer type. Maybe I'm wrong. We got Jeromy Burnitz for him. Burnitz was a nice player for the Crew but he stikes me a lot like McClung, a younger guy who proved he can play in the majors but lacks the skills to be a true star.

It just seems to me that these are the kind of players we traded away in the dark days and we never got anything that great in return, IIRC.

An Iribarren for DeRosa trade makes sense assuming the Mets aren't hot after DeRosa (he fills in at 1B/OF and when DelGado comes back you cna shift soem PAs away from Castillo at 2B=makes alot of sense). Brewers get DeRosa, Indians get palyer who is ready or nearly so, most likely a reserve MI but has a chance to be a fill in starter or more at 2B cheaply for 6 years.

Anyone think the Nats would consider a deal for Christian Guzman? I have no idea if he could/would play 2B, but he's signed through next year, making decent money and would provide a lot of flexibility for next season, create trade opportunities for Hardy, and help bridge the gap to Escobar. Plus, he can lead off. If the Brewers do go outside to address Weeks, that is an absolute must in my eyes.

If they'd trade McClung, Tim Dillard is your #6 SP. Seth will not be dealt unless it remedies that little nugget.
If the team thinks that 2B needs to be addressed, I hope who the #6 SP is doesn't prevent Melvin from making a move.

Archived