Brewer Fanatic

How much talent could we get for Sheets at the deadline?

Im not yet convinced it would be the smartest move (however I'm not convinced it wouldn't be, either) but just how much talent could the Brewers get in exchange for Sheets at the trade deadline this year, or next?

My guess is that he'd bring in significantly more at the deadline this year than even the Sexson trade.

Haha, I was wondering after his start today if something like this would happen and it did.

Ben Sheets is an essential component to the Brewers success for this year and next. There is now way you trade him unless someone offers you some amazing package of young talent that already has some ML experience.

This year trading Sheets is out of the question. Next year I really think the Brewers can/will be legitimate contenders so trading Sheets would then, again, be out of the question.

It's going to be similar to the A's situation with Zito. Every team in the league knows the Brewers can't afford to sign him, so they won't give them any sort of package. The other teams also know that the Brewers will be too much in contention to trade their best pitcher. It's pretty much a can't win situation for the Brewers - unless they win the world series. Of course, though, draft picks are nice.

EDIT: Just to add, there is no chance they will trade him until his walk year, and I would say they never will.

Well, as I said in my original post, I'm not convinced it is a good idea, however it is intriguing as to just how much talent they could get for Sheets

If the Brewers don't significantly improve their defense and fundamentals, I don't think they'll be legit contenders this year or next. Seriously. I do think they have enough talent to eventually develop into contenders, but Sheets is only under contract this year and next

Anyways, my question is more as possibilities. How much can a legit ace bring in trade at the deadline?

If the Yankees offered a package involving Hughes or Tabata I would at least consider it.

Thats a good package for a rebuilding team, but niether of those guys wins the Brewers a playoff spot.

Anyways, my question is more as possibilities. How much can a legit ace bring in trade at the deadline?

Who was the last true Ace dealt at the deadline? Do we go all the way back to when Schilling was dealt from Philly to Arizona?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

if i was going to trade a pitcher, i would trade Capuano. I think that u could maybe get Lastings Milledge for Capuano maybe. I mean he was an allstar. Not saying that i want to see capuano go, but i think its going to be interesting at the trade deadline. I think the brewers are going to have a hard time signing him at the end of this year.

But as far as sheets, do'nt be discouraged by his start today, he was on 7 days rest and that can screw with a lot of pitchers. Sheets is our Ace and i think that someone would cut D Melvin's head off if he got rid of sheets. I wouldn't mind giving up Capuano and giving Gallardo a try.

My reason for posting the thread didn't have much to do with today at all.

I've been thinking about Gallardo, and Villanueva, and Vargas and how we have Suppan for 4 years and Capuano through '09. That is alot of pitching, potentially at least...

If it is true that teams would all low-ball the Brewers at the deadline in '07 or '08 then it is a moot point, and obviously there is alot of baseball left to be played

Quote:
If it is true that teams would all low-ball the Brewers at the deadline in '07 or '08 then it is a moot point, and obviously there is alot of baseball left to be played

It really depends on how many teams are in the bidding as well though.

That said, I don't see him going anywhere this year. Maybe next...and that is a small maybe.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I will say an offseason deal would be the only time I could envision a Ben Sheets deal, as the Brewers are deadset on being competitive the next couple of years. If you are going to trade Sheets you need to do it in the offseason when you can get legitimate major leaguers in return. At the trade deadline a team in competition probably isn't going to want to trade players already on their roster and competing.

However in the offseason it would be more likely to see a team be willing to "shake" up their roster. If Sheets goes the Brewers would need to receive elite Major League PROVEN talent in return. A team in contention isn't going to (typically) try and totally rearrange thier roster in mid-season. In the offseason when they can sign free-agents, make other trades, and evaluate internal replacment options a roster upheaval would be possible.

This does now have me thinking. If Cappy, Bush, Vargas, Supp all pitch well this season, and Gallardo gets a bit of seasoning, maybe, not likely, the Brewers put out feelers on a Sheets trade. Sheets to the Angels? Scott Shields, Macier Izturis, and a young pitcher +/-. Does look at least a bit appatizing.

If someone wanted Ben Sheets - the deal would start with the usual suspects as teams.

Manny and a healthy Jon Papelbon for Boston.

In NY the deal would start with Phillip Hughes and Humberto Sanchez.

In LA - Clay Kershaw and probably Billingsley.

LAA - Brandon Wood and Nick Ardenhardt

I think that next year the offers will start rolling in and the Brewers are going to be forced to make a deal. We are going to have to choose between Sheets or Prince, Cappy, and Weeks and the loot from a sheets deal. To me it is a nobrainer. I REALLY think Ben Sheets is a top 10 pitcher in the Majors but a team like Milwaukee has to make a profit on their big stocks.

If we ever trade Sheets, we better get the world back. Not one of these balanced, good trade for both teams type deal. I want Vladdy, Joe Mauer, Felix Hernandez, Tony LaRussa, and Erin Andrews.

If Santana leaves Minnesota and Sheets leaves Milwaukee, I will cry.

I said it this offseason and I'll say it again. There are three logical trading partners if we decide to move Sheets. The Dodgy Fellows, but we would require Kershaw/Elbert/Billingsley. The Angels, but I would want their band-aid (Figgins)/Wood or Adenhart/Weaver or Santana. And the Mets could always offer Milledge/Humber or Pelfrey/Martinez or Heilman. I would want A LOT if I were to trade Ben, but I'm not completely adverse. Just give me the top prospects from a top 5 system...that's all.

I agree that it's the offseason when he'll be traded.

The Mets have the biggest need and they have some real nice young talent to deal, Pelfrey, Milledge, Fernando Martinez, Carlos Gomez, Philip Humber. All of those guys have pretty good upside.

Martinez might be the best of the bunch. An 18 year old CF already in AA?

If Sheeter were to be traded I really think that the only way that Melvin would trade him is getting proven players in return. If the Mets keep up Millege and get him 300 AB's and bring up Pelfery (did they do that already), and he is solid then yes I would think that Melvin would be all over that, but if both of those players preform well enough for Melvin to want them I don't see the Metropolitians giving them up.

In the offseason if Sheets is on the block I would think that Melvin would want in return a legitamte leadoff hitter/or corner outfielder, and a proven releif pitcher with closer potential. That is why I think the Angels are the way to go, obviousally they seem reluctant to move anyone but were all just talking hypothetically here. Scott Shields would be our setup man replacing Turnbow, who would in turn be replacing Cordero(FA), or Shields could close if Turnbow regresses. Ervin Santana would be another Melvin-ian target, not that it is a need but a player that could then be shopped, Rocco Baldelli and Carl Crawfords name have been brought up before in RUMORS involving Santana. Macier Izturis probably dosen't have a spot with the Angels long term and not that he would have defined roll with the Crew but I think he would help even out the deal a bit.

Sheets

for

Ervin Santana

Scott Shields

Macier Izturis

I may be overvaluing Sheets, I may be undervaluing Sheets but this is type of return I would think that Melvin would look for. Multiple young proven players, filling multiple areas that could use improvment.

First of all, Pelfrey is up, as he pitched five good innings a few days ago without getting a W. And Martinez and Milledge are definitely two of the top 10 OF prospects in baseball. And the Mets, of course, have the $$$ to give Ben a hefty extention, much like the two teams of LA, hence their inclusion. Nevertheless, I still think I would prefer the packages the LA teams could offer. Three top 50 pitching prospects from the Dodgers (even though their track record with pitchers is less than stellar) or the Angels, though I would prefer Figgins to Izturis and Adenhart to Shields. Truth be told, I've been enamored with Adenhart since we held the fifth pick in his draft. He's a true PITCHER, unlike our thrower we selected, or the thrower later selected by the Communists of Cincy.

the question should be do you always want the brewers to have lots of highly thought of minor league prospects? or do you want the brewers to contend for a major league title? the brewers' last highly AAA prized pitching prospect didn't fair too well(hendrickson). there's no assurance if we traded sheets for some pitching prospect, that prospect would fair any better than hendrickson did.

Do you want the brewers to be a AAAA team and always rebuilding and always trading away their best players? or do you want the brewers to keep their star players and build around them?

the brewers can save a lot of money by constantly trading their best players for other team's prospects. however, eventually, a major league team should concentrate at winning at the major leageu level rather than always winning at the AA and AAA levels.

if you want to trade sheets away before he becomes too expensive- go ahead. it's been done by the brewers before.

Archived