Brewer Fanatic

Weeks out for the season; Hurricane's a-comin'

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what's the over/under on how many at-bats Hernan will see over the next two weeks. Judging by the way Macha's used Corporan, Swindle and even Gamel, my guess is two.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So what's the over/under on how many at-bats Hernan will see over the next two weeks. Judging by the way Macha's used Corporan, Swindle and even Gamel, my guess is two.

I'll take the under.

i guess i don't have a whole lot of time to read this thread but from what i've deciphered it sounds like a platoon is all but confirmed from the big man himself. macha that is. i'm sure this has been brought up in other threads if not this one, but any chance escobar could see some time at second later on in the year depending on hurricane's performances and escobar's development?

Yeah, there's no reason to bring Escobar up yet. He's struggling at the plate, and between Counsell, Hall and now Irabarren, there's plenty of infield depth. Like Invader said, this is fortunately a position with decent depth. Maybe Escobar can get a few September starts at 2B, but I would much rather they keep him at SS.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I'm not sure where people get the notion that Escobar is struggling at the plate? He's bounced between .250-.270 most of the year. He hasn't gone cold for an extended period of time, nor has he gotten extremely hot at the plate yet. He just *is* so far... but he's started hitting 2B again recently, he had 3 2B and 2 HR for quite a while there which was odd (Wilson has a similar issue going at A+ and he's much more of a power hitter than Escobar). I still don't like his BBs to K ratio though, but who knows.

Brewer, Salome, Dykstra, Trejo, and Zarraga are guys that have surprised me with how poorly they've done at the plate, those are the guys I was intrigued by who've struggled in my opinion.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm pretty sure I read in the minor league forum that Escobar would be seeing some playing time at 2nd base in the next few weeks. Not so they can call him up but so that if there are any more injures related to the position that he will be ready to help out. Maybe I read this in the ESPN article I don't recall right now or I would link it.

Escobar's starting at 2B tonight in Nashville

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He's bounced between .250-.270 most of the year.

He doesn't walk much so he needs to carry a much higher BA to keep his OBP up. It is sitting at .315 right now.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Escobar's starting at 2B tonight in Nashville

He will be playing more 2B. I'm afraid it might be too much. On the JS blog they quoted Melvin something like 'He'll play two days at 2B then a game at SS'. I hope they're not talking about 2 at 2B and 1 at SS for awhile.

Escobar's bat just isn't ready. He's a very young player so it's not a bad thing. He's able to get hits off of AAA pitchers without really hitting the ball that hard yet this year. He started slow and is rebounding a bit, but until he's hitting the ball a little better I wouldn't be thinking about calling him up.

I do wonder if Escobar playing 2B means that Hall is staying at 3B and Gamel will be sent down after the AL games. Wouldn't Hall be the logical choice if say Casey goes down?

I feel like they should leave Alcides at SS. I don't like this idea at all. 2nd appears to be covered by the 4 guys they have now that can play there, or they could sign a vet. No need to start moving top prospects around at this point.

He's bounced between .250-.270 most of the year.

He doesn't walk much so he needs to carry a much higher BA to keep his OBP up. It is sitting at .315 right now.

OBP? My goodness, I'm not suggesting he come up tomorrow or at all this year, but he's hardly been horrible. He's in that middle ground, and as JJ noted he's not making solild contact yet he's holding his ground, and as I noted his BB to K ratio still isn't where it should be. Escobar and Cain are going to be offensive projects, both were so incredibly raw when they were acquired, it's just the nature of the beast with those 2. However Escobar is within striking range of a very respectable offensive season if he'll get on a hot streak, it's one thing to look at his numbers without any context and it's another to follow his lines nightly. He hasn't be cold yet this season, and he hasn't been hot yet either, he's just been in the middle so far. 2 weeks from now he could easily be hitting over .300 and even then I wouldn't be calling for him to get playing time with the big club, it's not so much about the raw numbers like OBP and AVE as it is about growth, and to be honest this basestealing kick he's on kind of irks me.

I'm sorry I ever suggested moving Hardy for pitching because no prospect has been so torn apart as Escobar has been since I've been on this board. It's unfortunate that there's so much focus on what he doesn't do than what he's capable of, I actually feel sorry for him. The ironic part of all this is that Hardy is actually my favorite Brewer and the only current Brewer that I have any memorbelia of. I'm not sold that Escobar will ever be an all-star, but I'm high on his potential and I'm happy that with Hardy moving on soon we at least have a capable prospect waiting as a replacement.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think Escobar is being trained at 2B just for insurance purposes. Melvin has to plan for worst case scenarios. If Gamel struggles defensively and if Hernan gets freakishly hurt, Escobar would be an option to come up and get some spot starts at 2B. If that was a long term need, I would hope that Grudz or Durham would be explored, but it shouldn't hurt Escobar's development to get some time at 2B.

The last time Catalanatto played anything but 1B/OF/DH was 2002, the only thing he'll bring is a bench bat.

I really want to know what the plan is with Gamel. I'm getting the vibe that they don't want to move Hall to 2nd, and want him to be more than the righty half in a platoon. I'm attached to the idea of Gamel being up for good, but really not sure what their plan is.

I am encouraged that Escobar is sticking around the stats he is while he is struggling to start the year. This seems to indicate he is struggling somewhat

He's able to get hits off of AAA pitchers without really hitting the ball that hard yet this year.
Not making hard contact is struggling in my opinion.

I'm sorry I ever suggested moving Hardy for pitching because no prospect has been so torn apart as Escobar has been since I've been on this board. It's unfortunate that there's so much focus on what he doesn't do than what he's capable of, I actually feel sorry for him.
People know what he is capable of, but when we are talking about him playing, the focus will be on what he is right now. If we are talking about him a couple years from now, I think people are more willing to look at his possible growth and it would become a much more positive conversation. Gamel would be ripped appart more if we had a 3B that could hit RHP without a platoon. As it is he still gets wuite a bit of flack for his defense. It is much more difficult to rip defense than offense because of the nature of the statistice involved. I am sorry I upset you so much with my comment.

He doesn't walk much so he needs to carry a much higher BA to keep his OBP up.

I meant it much like if I had said, Gamel needs to play solid defense to justify playing full time at 3B.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived