Brewer Fanatic

Weeks out for the season; Hurricane's a-comin'

OK, so since Weeks got hurt Counsell is hitting .275/.293/.275 and the Brewers have averaged 3.2 runs per game over 11 games. Yes, it's only 41 PA and other players are slumping, but considering Counsell's history, this is probably closer to what the Brewers can expect for the rest of the season than the other players. The Brewers already have one offensive sink hole in the lineup with Kendall. I'm sure that Melvin understands that they can't use Counsell at second base for the rest of the season without seriously hurting the offense. I really don't have any answer either, though. How much would you be willing to give up in a trade for a second baseman that is probably a one year guy? Signing Mark Grudzielanek seems to make a lot of sense, but who knows what kind of shape he is in or if he even wants to play. I'm sure the Royals would love to see him sign before next week because they'd get an extra draft pick for him. Of course, that would also bump the Brewers second round picks and their sandwich pick for Shouse back one selection. It sounds crazy, but I wonder if something like that even crosses their minds, thinking that if they just wait two weeks to sign a guy that they'll get slightly better draft position in the draft. I'm sure it's a minor consideration, if considered at all, I just found it amusing that they could actually hurt their draft position - and give the Royals a huge bonus - just by signing a guy now instead of waiting 10 days.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think that Fielder, Braun and Hardy are all better hitters than Gamel right now. Cameron and Hart could certainly be in the mix as well. Gamel could just as easily be our 6th best hitter as our 3rd best. He is better than Hall though and that is the only one that really matters.

McGehee is hitting .273/.379/.364 .743 OPS over the last two weeks. Small sample size aside, I think he's shown enough to be given a fair shake at the 2B job, with Counsell back to playing twice a week at most. While I agree there are huge offensive holes at 2B, 3B, and catcher right now, I'm hopeful Doug lets it play out for a few more weeks before panicking. If Gamel and McGehee haven't claimed their positions by July 4th, then he has to make a move before the deadline.

Not sure if this was mentioned already here or elsewhere, but I heard TH say they are going to use McGehee to lead off when Counsell doesn't, so probably against lefties for now. I'm ok with this and would rather give him a shot before Hart. Maybe if he holds his own they can be used against righties some as I really can't see Counsell playing everyday against righties the rest of the year.

Archived