Brewer Fanatic

Weeks out for the season; Hurricane's a-comin'

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So does this basically move Counsell to second and open the door for a Hall/Gamel platoon?
I would assume. I would also hope that hurricane would get the call up. He obviously plays Rickie's position (2b) and can also play all three outfield spots if needed. He's having a solid year at the dish as well. His current line is .368/.470/.838 before todays game.

Ray Durham, if this is long-term for Rickie?
Oh man, I didn't even think of him. That might not be a bad idea. If they don't try to get Ray I'm all for Hernan being called up.

This is just terrible news for Rickie, he was really putting his entire game together this season and now this. Sucks for him, the Brewers and us the fans.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I hadn't considered that. I hope they look into it if Rickie's injury is serious. I think Iribarren getting the call if Rickie is DL'd makes the most sense for now. Also, I'd prefer to have Gamel rather than Counsell being the guy getting AB's against lefties, so I hope they move the whole Counsell/Hall platoon to 2nd.

Hall has played a total of 101 games and logged 803 innings at 2B since 2003 (alot less recently however)... His fielding percentage is around .960 while playing 2B (Weeks is .964 for his career)

Sonuva...I just hope they are being overly cautious due to his past wrist/hand problems. Maybe he just tweaked and wants to make sure it is nothing serious and that he can't further damage it. IF it is a serious injury, I really think it would be a big, big blow to the offense. Hoping for the best Rickie!

This is definitely a bad break for Rickie. He has been playing very well this year. I hope it turns out to be something where he does have some soreness in there, but no structural damage. Unfortunately, since it is the wrist he didn't have surgery on the odds of it being just soreness are a bit less.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Ray Durham doesn't make any plays unless they are hit right at him so it would certainly hurt the defense, but he would be a viable part of the solution at least. This is all probably jumping the gun though as this could just as easily be nothing as something.

In the short term I'd say Counsell/Hall at 2B with Hall/Gamel/McGehee at 3B. Counsell is a better hitter than Hall vs RH pitching imo.

I don't think Durham is coming back unless he gets a decent paycheck. I'd rather save that money and go with the popular plan listed already, Gamel at 3B and Counsell/Hall at 2B.

If Weeks did have to go on the DL, I think I would rather bring up Swindle than bring up Irribarren. Counsell and Hall should be expected to provide better overall production, and I think the 2nd lefty would add more value than having a backup player.

I think if he goes on the DL you call up Irrabarren. You need to see what he can do, plus he'd be another left handed bat. I don't think you move Hall. He's having a fairly productive year at third base so I don't see why you move him. In my opinion Gamel is going to get sent back down after interleague play anyway (at least I think he should)

I don't think you move Hall. He's having a fairly productive year at third base so I don't see why you move him.

Hall is crushing lefties. He has been bad against RHP, just as he has the two previous years. Gamel at 3B and Counsell at 2B against RHP should be a nice combo. Against LHP, you leave Gamel at 3B, where he actually has a reverse split in the minors and you take advantage of Halls offense at 2B.

Hall has played a total of 101 games and logged 803 innings at 2B since 2003 (alot less recently however)... His fielding percentage is around .960 while playing 2B (Weeks is .964 for his career)

Hall was a lot worse defensively at SS and 3B at that point in his career too. I'd imagine he would be pretty decent now.

I think that if Weeks goes on the DL then we will fill second with the guys on our current roster. I would guess that we would see Counsell, McGehee, and Hall all play there. I think that Catalanotto would come straight up to the big club and fill the open spot on our 40-man roster. I don't think that Irribarren would come up until after other options fail. I think Counsell has the first crack at second, and like him Irribarren is a left-handed hitter.

Ive been saying the same thing for the Cubs ever since Mike Fontenot started sucking, which was like after the 1st week. Why does Durham not have a job yet? Granted, hes not the best defensive player on earth by any means, but as far as second basemen go, hes always been one of the better offensively. Hes a switch hitter too, which Piniella loves, but apparently he prefers scrappy white ones who cant hit their way out of a paper bag. Almost always OPSs in the .800s accept for an off 2007.

Archived