Brewer Fanatic

Your opinion on "seat-hopping" at Miller Park and other sports stadiums?

bani1717
You make good point, Patrick. Thinking back whenever I've moved to a different seat it's always in a wide open area. I don't think I'd have the guts to into a crowded section in the 5th inning and sit right in front of someone who knew the guy that paid for the ticket just left. But if there's a cluster of open seats in an area, like there was in RF last summer at the Metrodome, I'm comfortable with moving in.

I personally think that people should only sit in the seats that they pay for or one that is equal or lesser in value.

If you want to sit in the expensive seats, pay for them. Otherwise I see it as essentially stealing (since you aren´t paying for the quality of seat that you are sitting in by moving up). ...

I disagree, because what are you taking from anyone? Let's say you are already in the game with a terrace ticket. And, there is a completely empty section down in the loge level, for example. The Brewers are absolutely no worse off than if you had stayed up in the terrace level. (In fact, you could even make the argument that they are better off, since the person feels like they're really getting their money's worth and may be more apt to come back to Miller Park soon.) And, since the section is almost completely empty, as long as you sit toward the back you aren't taking anyone else's seat.

Also, I was talking to a guy once who once went to a Brewers-Marlins game in Florida. the stadium was fairly empty and the ushers came up to him and his family and told them to all move down into the first couple rows because the owners weren't coming. Now, they obviously didn't pay for owner's box tickets, so would you consider that stealing too?

My theory is that it depends on the rules of the park. If the ushers allow you to sit down in a better section (or just let you by without bothering to check your ticket), then the "rules of the park" allow you to sit there IMHO. If you get by an usher who should be checking your ticket but doesn't (ie, in the Field Level), more power to you. You see it as stealing, but I see it as getting the best value you possibly can for the money you spend.

(edit: long quote --1992)

I think you just answered your own question. I think the excuse that "you got past the usher who should be checking yout ticket" is kind of flimsy reasoning. Totally different if they tell you that you can move down, IMHO. It's like saying it's OK to go to a movie theater, watch a movie, and then sneak into a second movie "because you're getting the best value for your money." It just doesn't seem that ethical to me.

Also, one point to consider...not everyone likes confrontation. If some people show up to the game late and see you and your friends sitting in their tickets, they might just shrink off and sit in worse seats because they didn't want to bother with it. That's not really fair.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I disagree, because what are you taking from anyone? Let's say you are already in the game with a terrace ticket. And, there is a completely empty section down in the loge level, for example. The Brewers are absolutely no worse off than if you had stayed up in the terrace level. ...
I think Invader hit it on the head with his movie theater comment. If you sneak into a second movie, the movie theater may not technically be losing money. But that doesn´t change the fact that you are getting something that you didn´t pay for (aka stealing and completely unjustifiable and unethical). I also agree with Invader when it comes to the ushers. If they tell you to move up, then go ahead. But there is a big difference between the word coming down from on high (likely from management) to move people up, and moving into a section on your own and getting away with it because they don´t check your ticket.

I think it speaks a lot about you that you don´t see a problem with what you do.

Please avoid ad hominem comments. They're condescending and unnecessary to make the point at hand.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

There is a difference between asking for an opinion on something and asking for an opinion on what kind of person I am (or what kind of person anyone else is).

Now, for my point, you say it's wrong to move into a better section where the ushers don't check your tickets, but it's ok to come into the stadium for free when they are no longer scanning tickets at the entry? Both to me seem like simply doing what they allow you to do.

(Just for the record, there isn't a way to get into the stadium without a ticket, because they station ushers at the doors to make sure no one comes in. My dad and my brother have both entered the stadium very late, like 6th inning or later and, while they weren't scanning tickets, my brother and my dad did have to show their tickets.)

I think the argument that 'they don't stop you from doing it, so it must be ok' is a real slippery slope. I mean if a bank leaves it doors and vaults open one night........ ok, not the greatest comparison but you get my point.

The ushers assume you are going to the seats you paid for - next time ask them if it's ok, see if they still let you. That answers your question right there.

Just because you can do something and can get away with it - doesn't make it right.

The Brewers used to let people in for free after the 7th inning, I believe (and they let those people sit wherever they wanted). That is a decision by management, therefore it´s ok. If they don´t do that anymore, than people probably should not be moving seats. If they still do that, at that point, where they are letting anyone sit wherever they want for free, than it´s probably ok to sit where you want. I think you should still ask an usher though. Perhaps they don´t do that anymore.

Also, one point to consider...not everyone likes confrontation. If some people show up to the game late and see you and your friends sitting in their tickets, they might just shrink off and sit in worse seats because they didn't want to bother with it. That's not really fair.

Add on to this that you might be annoying people around you when you don't realize it, but they might just dislike confrontation. There are some very nice people in the world that would have a hard time saying something about it. I would rather just stay in my seat than take advantage of someone who is too nice to speak up.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I've moved down a few rows in my own section once it was obvious the seats weren't being used and there was room to spread out, but given the capacity levels of the games lately I don't anymore.

But I did have kinda the reverse of this situation happen to me a few years ago at County Stadium. It was during the last year of County Stadium and I worked for a bank and was using their club seats. In County Stadium the club seats were basically folding chairs in a little walkway hanging just below the upper deck, not exactly great seats but not too bad and you had wait service just like now. I was probably 24 or so and had my girlfriend, younger brother and his girlfriend with me. It was a Sunday afternoon game late in the season and after the sun went down behind the stadium our seats on the 1st base side got cold for the girls so we asked the usher if we could move to the 3rd base side where the sun was still shining on the seats. He radioed over and let the other usher "guarding" the entrance know we were coming over and why, the place was pretty empty anyway.

When we got to our new seats some guy in the club area kept taunting us saying we snuck into the "rich seats" and didn't belong there. He wouldn't let it go and kept saying he was going to call the ushers to kick us out. We were just sitting there not bothering anyone, not even drinking, I think I was the only one old enough too and I drove. Finally the ushers came down, checked my tickets, called over to the other side and let us stay but the fan who just had to play " seat police" never let up on his, "I can't believe they let just anyone sit here," and "these punks don't belong" here tirades to his buddy.

So anytime I see someone worrying about where someone else is sitting I think of that guy.

it's fine as long as you don't inconvenience others around you by sitting directly next to or in front of them.
If you're inconvenienced by someone sitting next to you, don't leave your house. You're not ready for the outside world.

I say go for it if you can get away with it. If you get caught, don't put up a fight. If you make it, don't do anything stupid that would call attention to yourself. I don't do it, but I like my bleacher seats so it never crosses my mind.

I don't have a problem with people not sitting in the appropriate seats when there were many empty seats available and it is a couple innings into the game. I do get irritated when people do not sit in the appropriate seats right away or if the game is expected to be close to full. I was up in the 400s a couple weekends ago (with 40,000+ in attendance) and there was a group of 4 or 5 people that were a row ahead of me, They were there from the beginning of the game and in about the 3rd inning the real ticket-holders showed up. They left right away but it still bugged me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If it's not a busy game, I don't have a problem with people moving around within sections, but on the whole, I stay in the seat I bought.

Last game I was at I watched a man and a woman move three times when people arrived with tickets to those seats. The game was a sellout, so these people each time moved around, causing a lot of people, each time, to get up while they hunted down another pair of seats.

If you're going to do it - be polite. In our first game this year, a group of guys came down and snagged the seats in front of us when the people left. A guy about 6"4' sat right in front of my son, who is nine. Real nice one there. It's just kind of rude doing stuff like that.

If you're moving to a better section/seat than you paid for it seems unfair to the people who purchased the right to sit in those types of seats. They worked for their money as well. All in all though, if all of the ushers did their jobs, it wouldn't be a problem. If everyone guarded their sections and levels like they do the Club Level everyone would sit where they should.

Archived