Brewer Fanatic

John Lackey's return from the DL

Lackey made his season debut for the Angels today, in Texas.

His first pitch went behind Ian Kinsler, his second pitch hit Kinsler in the ribs...at that point, Lackey was ejected.

After six weeks of waiting...two pitches and gone...that has to be a first.

I highly doubt that was intentional. I would have to believe Lackey was excited to get back in there after being out 6 weeks and with that his control was gone. If the intent was to bean someone, they'd either wait, or bring in a bullpen guy to start the game.

The only other idea is that the Angels felt the umps would give him the benefit of the doubt (based off of reasons above), and not eject him, allowing Lackey to set the tone. Then they called his bluff and tossed him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I love how Kinsler just stood there on the first one. He did the same thing against the ChiSox the other day when Bobby Jenks threw at him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I heard on BBTN or someplace that this was the 3rd fastest ejection in baseball history. I don't remember the names, but they said one guy was tossed after he hit someone on the first pitch. And the other guy got ejected before he threw a pitch for arguing with the ump because the ump thought his sleeves were too long.

Archived