Brewer Fanatic

When/Should A Multi-Year Contract Be Offered to Dave Bush?

FIPS133

Yo is the one to lock up.

Absolutely. And the reason I don't think Bush will get a long-term deal anytime soon is because Yo should be the first option. If you give that money to Bush now, it could limit what's left for Yo when negotiation time comes.

If Yo could get a deal roughly similar to Braun's (but probably with more money), I would be a very happy Brewer fan.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Of course Gallardo is priority #1 for pitchers, but I think Bush should be looked at for an extension as well.
I agree, but like I said, you have to know what it will take to get Yo before you look to see what's left for Bush.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

It makes little sense to extend Bush. He will likely want 4 years. Of those 4 at least one looks to be a rebuilding year (likely 2011). And then you're left with his age 32-33 years which carry some real risk.

Yo and Manny aren't even eligible for arbitration until 2011. In 2010 the Brewers are obligated to pay $38+ million right now. But in 2011 that number drops to $7 million. Hall, Suppan, and Riske have options that can be bought out. JJ is a free agent; Prince and Hart in 3rd arby year. Let's wait and see how Manny does this year before talk of any long term deal. I suppose they try a 5 year offer to Yo this winter, but that's a long time for a pitcher who will have had just one complete season.

Locking up Bush for 3 more years with a 4th year option gives a 1-2-3 rotation of Yo, Manny, and Bush through 2013 with minimal investment. Bush's K:BB ratio was average last year, but it's back up to 3.45:1 so far this year. That's encouraging, small sample aside.

Beware Brewer Fans. As the ghost of bad contracts to mediocre pitchers who had one good year, I beg you to take heed of Ryan Dempster, Oliver Perez, and Jose Contreres. Oh yeah, and the guy who got a huge deal after one awesome post season.
Dave Bush is not going to get Dempster or Perez money but he also is not a guy who has had just one good year. Jeff Suppan did not just have one good post season. Look at his numbers with St. Louis. 16 wins twice, with an ERA at 4.1 twice and at 3.5 once. Those are nice numbers regardless of his post season run. Dave Bush has been consistent as a Brewer and would provide a depth in a rotation set up around Gallardo and hopefully Parra if he can progress as a pitcher.

Dave Bush's career as a Brewer stands at:

36-31, 634.1 IP, 4.50 ERA, 1.21 WHIP.

That is probably about what i would pay for considering it will be his age 30+ seasons.

Ennder- That is probably = or better than the line Soup had prior to signing/has given us. As soon as the market/economy recover, Bush is probably easily a 4/50 pitcher. I don't want to break the bank for him, but a 3/24 with an option for a 4th year (3 million buyout probably gets it done). 6M-2010, $8M-2011, $10M-2012, $12M (option) or 3M buyout in 2013 in my opinion gets it done. This really only is a 2 or 3 year extention or until his age 32 year (2012) or age 33 year (2013 if we pick up the option)

Archived