Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sat. 5/16 -- Latest: Taylor Green HR Video

aintblaze, I for one don't care about him being challenged. I was told by a Fall League trainer that the research shows fewer than 10% of pitchers that go under the knife while in the minors ever make the big leagues. I care about Braddock, Jones, Rogers, Rivas, etc simply logging their innings while working on things. If the Brewers want to push them up a level, that is great. But these guys are still fresh enough off major surgeries that I want the focus to be on building arm strength and muscle memory over performance. If I were the Brewers, I would try to get Braddock to the point where 5-6 innings are possible. At that point I would promote him and Rogers to AA and have them piggyback for the remainder of the season.

I want to remain careful with these arms, because Parra is the only one to reach the big leagues with a minor league arm surgery that I can remember. That includes JM Gold, Jose Mieses, Ryan Poe, and many others (wasn't there a Ramirez, and you could possibly count Neugebauer and Saenz). If you go far enough back, D'Amico did have minor league surgery.

Colby & Dhonks- you both make valid points. I think as fans, we are always looking to the big prize and possibly lose sight of the day to day fundamentals that get our next stars to the show. I think last year got us so excited you just want to play out every option on the horizon. Rogers, Jones, Braddock and others have all been pleasant surpizes this year along with many other farm hands, so I will temper my enthusiasm and see what happens. it's still fun to watch them progress!

I was really wondering if he's still seen as a starter, which we agree he is. I don't really have a problem with the way they're SLOWLY building him up, i was just observing, and noting that Crew made a good point about how it keeps him further from the Bigs.

Not to be a jerk, but in response to your 10% comment, DHonks, what percent of ALL minor league pitchers (surgery or not) ever see the big leagues? 10% would probably be my guess.

aintbize...I'm not saying to temper your enthusiasm. I absolutely love seeing them do well. I just view this year as having different goals for them than the other minor leaguers--health! If Braddock keeps it up, he could be a Sept callup. I'm not worried about that though.

And marty22, yes, it's a small percent that reach the majors. But the stat I was referencing (it might be less than 10%...I last worked the AFL 3 years ago) was saying that of those pitchers with arm surgery (many of whom were top prospects), a very small percent actually make it to MLB. If we were to assume that the stuff of the pitchers we mentioned would have gotten them to MLB if they weren't hurt, the stats then are 10% of them do. JM Gold had great stuff. Mike Jones used to have greats stats in the minors (not sure how his stuff is now). These two would have made the majors, but instead are in the ~90%. Therefore, I advocate taking as much time as possible with them.

I used to have a theory that a minor league trainer said simply wasn't true (I still wonder, though). The theory was that with Tommy John surgery, guys can be on the mound in 8-9 months. But the elbow has limited directions it turns. But with shoulder surgeries, many never recover the same (Ramon Martinez, Alex Fernandez, and Teddy Higuera come to mind as stars that were never the same). I wondered if--because there are so many muscles, tissues, ligaments, etc in the shoulder--pitchers would be better off taking time off to strengthen the shoulder and resume daily life before even thinking of throwing a baseball. For instance, with Rotator cuff surgery, why not have the surgery and rehab, then send the player home for 6 months to live daily life--carrying boxes, reading books, holding his kids, etc. That would give the various working parts of the shoulder a chance to sort of re-calibrate. Then start throwing and pitching. I'm a history\econ person teacher that enjoys trying to understand math and science. I tend to be a big believer in nature and all things trying to find equilibrium. Why not let the shoulder have time to find it's balance? That's why I'm optimistic with Jones, as he's now roughly 24 months removed from Tommy John surgery and--at least--36 months from his latest shoulder surgery. While focusing on rehabbing the elbow, he was strengthening the shoulder and letting it find some sense of balance.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Lakeland 10, Brevard County 6, nine innings (scheduled for seven), regularly scheduled game

That score on the road can only mean one thing -- walk-off grand slam loss...

Brevard County Box Score

John Axford couldn't close it in the 7th, which set-up the loss two innings later for Rafael Lluberes, who surrendered the walk-off blast with two out; as discussed above, Zach Braddock allowed only one single in his two relief innings, striking out four; Eric Farris 0-for-4 with a walk, but stole two bases and is now 18-for-18 in steals -- he was 32-for-42 at West Virginia in 2008; bottom four in the order combined to reach ten times and score four runs...

Brevard County Game Log

Brent Brewer RBI double in the 4th, but Lee Haydel also out at the plate on the play to end the inning; Manatees took the lead in the 6th with a three-run inning that was at best, weird -- Logan Schafer ended the inning out at home, on either a straight steal attempt, or an attempt to score on a ball that skipped away from the catcher...

Brevard County Top 6th

• Pitcher Change: Brett Jacobson replaces Charles Furbush.
  • Chris Errecart strikes out swinging.
  • Lee Haydel grounds out to first baseman Devin Thomas.
  • Brent Brewer singles on a ground ball to center fielder Kyle Peter.
  • With Steffan Wilson batting, Brent Brewer steals (10) 2nd base.
  • Steffan Wilson walks.
  • Martin Maldonado singles on a line drive to left fielder Christopher White. Brent Brewer scores. Steffan Wilson to 3rd.
  • Pitcher Change: Scott Green replaces Brett Jacobson.
  • Logan Schafer singles on a line drive to center fielder Kyle Peter. Steffan Wilson scores. Martin Maldonado to 2nd.
  • With Eric Farris batting, passed ball by Adrian Casanova, Martin Maldonado to 3rd. Logan Schafer to 2nd.
  • Eric Farris walks. Wild pitch by pitcher Scott Green. Martin Maldonado scores. Logan Schafer to 3rd.
  • With Caleb Gindl batting, Eric Farris steals (18) 2nd base.
  • Logan Schafer out at home, catcher Adrian Casanova to pitcher Scott Green.

Fantastic chance to take the lead for the Manatees in the 8th wasted --

Brevard County Top 8th

• Lee Haydel singles on a ground ball to center fielder Kyle Peter.
  • Brent Brewer out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Scott Green to first baseman Devin Thomas. Lee Haydel to 2nd.
  • Steffan Wilson singles on a line drive to pitcher Scott Green. Lee Haydel to 3rd.
  • Martin Maldonado walks. Steffan Wilson to 2nd.
  • Pitcher Change: Chad Linder replaces Scott Green.
  • Logan Schafer grounds into a force out, pitcher Chad Linder to catcher Adrian Casanova. Lee Haydel out at home. Steffan Wilson to 3rd. Martin Maldonado to 2nd. Logan Schafer to 1st.
  • Eric Farris grounds out, pitcher Chad Linder to first baseman Devin Thomas.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Wisconsin 8, Clinton (Mariners) 3

Wisconsin Site Game Summary

Green day for Rattlers

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - Taylor Green had four hits and four RBI to give the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers an 8-3 win over the Clinton LumberKings Saturday night at Time Warner Cable Field. Green, in his 2009 debut, homered and had three singles to pace the 11-hit attack of the Rattlers. Michael Bowman, the beneficiary of the offensive output, pitched 6 2/3 scoreless innings for his first win of the season.

Wisconsin (13-21) jumped out to a lead very quickly. Juan Sanchez, the second batter in the bottom of the first inning doubled. Green hammered a 2-0 pitch from Clinton starting pitcher Adam Harben to the Miller High Life Home Run Porch in right for a homer in his first at bat as a Rattler. Later in the inning, Brock Kjeldgaard singled to drive in a run for a 3-0 lead.

The Rattlers padded their lead with a two-out rally in the bottom of fourth. Michael Vass scored from second on an infield single by Erik Miller and an error on the play. Harben would load the bases on two walks and Green lined a two-run single to left. After a Brett Lawrie single reloaded the bases, Kjeldgaard drew a bases loaded walk to force in a run for a 7-0 lead.

Lawrie drove in a run with a ground out in the sixth inning for an 8-0 lead.

That was more than enough for Bowman, who was making his first start since leaving a start against Burlington after four innings on May 5. He struck out a career high nine batters and allowed five hits. Bowman also extended his scoreless streak to 11 innings.

Clinton (20-14) scored three runs in the top of the ninth inning, but the game was well in hand for Wisconsin.

The Rattlers and LumberKings will play a doubleheader on Sunday afternoon. Wisconsin will toss Cody Scarpetta (0-2, 3.63) and Daniel Meadows (5-0, 3.05) as the starting pitchers in game one and two respectively. Clinton will counter with Kenn Kasparek (1-3, 4.15) and Blake Nation (0-1, 3.79). Game one will begin at 1:05 PM.

Wisconsin Box Score

Heck of a line for Michael Bowman, the 2008 9th round pick out of VMI -- it's been forever since the Brewers had a pitcher drafted in that 5th - 10th round area go on to show some real promise as a starting pitcher, hopefully Bowman breaks that trend; as long as they share a roster, 2008 4th round second baseman Jose Duran (0-for-4 here) will have DH duties with Brett Lawrie around;

Wisconsin Game Log

After catching a fly ball in right for the 2nd out of the 4th with the bases loaded, Michael Vass threw out and doubled up the runner at 3rd base -- that is an odd play, did Taylor Green get the putout because the runner left early -- that must be it; the game log doesn't indicate an injury, but there's no other reason that Juan Sanchez was removed for a pinchrunner in the four-run 4th -- check it out...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brett Christopher does a nice job with the Post-Crescent's Rattler Blog -- here's his game report with an update on Juan Sanchez, quotes from Taylor Green and Michael Bowman, and an interesting tidbit on Michael Vass and Green. Highlights of the full post below --

Wisconsin left fielder Juan Sanchez was lifted from the game in the fourth when he injured his left hamstring while running the bases. Manager Jeff Isom said Sanchez was experiencing spasms in the hamstring and called his status "day-to-day." Sanchez came into the game hitting .305 with eight doubles, five steals 16 runs and three RBI. He doubled and scored a run in two trips to the plate against Clinton.

Guess I should have checked out the blog before specualting (correctly) above:

The LumberKings were threatening to close the gap on a 3-0 deficit when they loaded the bases with one out in the fourth. Third baseman Mario Martinez then lofted a fly ball to right that appeared to score a run, but an appeal to third ended the rally when it was ruled the runner had left early. Wisconsin responded with four runs in its half of the inning and cruised from there.

Did you know?

Taylor Green and Rattlers right fielder Michael Vass were teammates at the junior college level. Both spent time with Cypress College in Cypress, Calif., where Vass hit .402 with 15 homers and 59 RBI in 2006.

Taylor Green's towering two-run homer to right highlighted a three-run first inning for the Rattlers, who snapped a two-game losing skid. Green, who bats from the left side of the plate, also added a two-run single as part of a four-run fourth.

"It was perfect, just how you planned it," he said with a chuckle. No...I just saw the ball well, swung and hit it. That's basically all there was to it. Guys were on base in front of me, luckily, to make it easier. That's all you can ask for."

Green, a third baseman, had been at extended spring training at the Brewers' facility in Phoenix as he continued to rehab his ailing left wrist.

He missed the final three weeks of the 2008 regular season when he was hit in the wrist by a pitch. Green, who arrived in town Friday night, then suffered a broken nose last fall as he tried to field a tough-hop grounder while playing in the Arizona Fall League.

The Brewers' minor league player of the year in 2007, Green expects a short stay at Wisconsin -- a week to 10 days -- before being sent to Double-A Huntsville. He also deemed his wrist good to go afterward.

"It feels good," he said. "The strength is still coming back. I'm just lucky it's not my bottom hand because that's more of my power hand. It's fine."

Michael Bowman felt fine, too.

The right-hander scattered just five hits as he even his record to 1-1 and saw his ERA dip to 1.82.

"In the first couple of innings, I felt like I was rushing it, not being out there, five, 10 days, whatever it was," he said. "But then I slowed down a little bit and felt great."

Bowman developed the blister on the tip of the middle finger of his throwing hand during a start against Burlington on May 5. He exited after four scoreless innings and wound up missing just one start.

The 22-year-old was in control from the outset and threw a fastball that touched the low 90s, according to the stadium's radar gun.

"It was kind of frustrating missing a start, but it showed the time off paid off," Bowman said. "Getting that healthy, I didn't want any lingering problems. Me and (catcher) Corey (Kemp) were on the same page tonight."

Full post at the link above...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Huntsville 12, Mobile (Diamondbacks) 6

Huntsville Site Game Summary

Huntsville Bombards BayBears in Series Opener

Stars Score in Seven Different Innings En Route to Win

Yohannis Perez collected four hits to pace an 18-hit attack in Huntsville's 12-6 win Saturday night in the opener of a five-game set at Hank Aaron Stadium. The Stars snapped a three-game slide to improve to 16-15 and move back into a first place tie with Tennessee in the North Division, while the BayBears dropped their sixth straight to fall to 19-17 and six and a half games behind Birmingham in the South. Huntsville improved to 10-5 away from home and defeated the BayBears for only a second time in six meetings.

The Stars jumped on starter Matt Torra for three runs in the first inning on a Kevin Melillo sacrifice fly and run-scoring hits by Jonathan Lucroy and Vinny Rottino. The visitors added another run in the second on a Shane Justis scoring fly ball that also resulted in an inning ending twin killing when Adam Stern was doubled off at first base.

Evan Frey tripled in two runs in the second and scored on a base hit by Chris Rahl that cut the Stars' lead to 4-3 and marked the first time all season Huntsville starter Chris Cody had yielded more than one run in any inning. The left-hander then retired the last 11 batters he faced to close his five-inning performance and pick up his third win of the year. He allowed four hits, walked a pair and fanned five.

Huntsville added a run in the third on another two-out, run-scoring hit by Rottino and another in the fourth on a two-out infield hit by Justis that plated Perez, who had led off the frame with a double. Ricardo Sosa committed a fielding error with two outs in the fifth to allow another run to score before Cody helped his own cause with a run-scoring double for his second hit of the season. Torra finally held the visitors off the board in the sixth and departed after six innings, allowing a season-high eight runs, five earned, on a season-high 11 hits, while walking two and fanning one. He dropped to 1-4 and remains winless since beating the Stars on Opening Day.

The Stars took a 9-4 lead into the home seventh before James Skelton singled in a run and a Justis error on an attempted double play allowed Rahl to score to trim the lead to 9-6. However, Huntsville removed any doubt over the outcome by scoring three times in the eighth off of Reid Mahon on run-scoring hits by Lucroy and Drew Anderson. The Stars got three hits from Rottino and Justis, while Lucroy, Anderson and Freddy Parejo added two each.

Robert Hinton threw two shutout innings to close out the Stars' fifth straight road win after Mike McClendon had given up three runs, only one earned, over two innings. McClendon walked Sean Coughlin in the seventh to end a 21 1/3 innings streak without issuing a free pass dating back to April 12 vs. Mississippi.

The series continues Sunday afternoon, as right-hander Jeremy Jeffress gets the starting nod for Huntsville against BayBears' right-hander Wes Roemer. Coverage of the game begins at 1:50 PM central time and can be heard through the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.

Huntsville Box Score

Brett Pollock with the best game recaps in all of minor league baseball -- thanks, bud; Jonathan Lucroy walked twice and reached four times; enjoy all the crooked numbers here...

Huntsville Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Nashville 5, Las Vegas (Blue Jays) 1

Nashville Site Game Summary

Link for new Cole Gillespie photo, text follows --

Sounds Win 5-1 In Series Opener

NASHVILLE - The Nashville Sounds took the opening game of a four-game series, 5-1, against the Las Vegas 51s on Saturday night at historic Greer Stadium.

Starter Lindsay Gulin (2-2) earned the win, tossing his first quality start of the season, allowing one run on four hits over six innings for the Sounds.

Las Vegas outfielder Buck Coats hit a leadoff double on the first pitch of the game from Gulin. Coats then proceeded to steal third base and scored on a Randy Ruiz groundout for a 1-0 Las Vegas lead.

Cole Gillespie tied the game at 1 in the bottom of the third with a solo shot to left field, his first Triple-A home run of his career.

AUDIO: Gillespie Home Run

Gillespie also made an acrobatic catch in the top of the sixth that took away a hit from Coats.

The Sounds were able to get through to Burres in the bottom of the sixth inning. Alcides Escobar hit a ground-rule double to center, followed by an Adam Heether walk and Erick Almonte single to load the bases. Angel Salome then hit a weak single over the second baseman to pull the Sounds ahead, 2-1. Hernan Iribarren tacked on another hit to score Heether for a 3-1 lead.

T.J. Beam came in to relieve Burres with the bases loaded later in the frame, but the Sounds were unable to do further damage.

Escobar's second double of the game scored Gwynn to extend the Sounds lead to 4-1 in the bottom of the seventh. Salome's second RBI-single of the game made it 5-1, scoring Escobar from second base.

David Johnson came in to the game to relieve Gulin, throwing three scoreless frames to earn his first save of the season.

The Sounds and 51s continue with the second game of a four-game series tomorrow afternoon at 2:00 PM at historic Greer Stadium. Right-hander Mike Burns (5-0, 2.27) makes the start for Nashville against southpaw Brad Mills (0-4, 3.72).

Nashville Box Score

Tony Gwynn on base twice more, and stole his 14th base in as many attempts; Adam Heether settles in comfortably at third base with Mat Gamel in Milwaukee; David Johnson's first 11 AAA appearances have been just fine; Angel Salome two RBI singles as the DH, Carlos Corporan behind the plate in this one...

Nashville Game Log

Its awesome having Taylor Green back. Funny thing is, he seems way too good for A ball, but age wise he fits right into that league. While he not athletic, he has a quick bat. Brewers scouts have an unbelievable nose for batspeed.

As for Braddock, while its true we've wasted some time with him pitching injured, the team has taken steps to prevent this from happening again. The trainer he had in West Virginia is no longer with the organization. In the minor leagues, each team has a local orthepedist it works with.. The Brewers are no longer is WV, and the 2 team doctors for the T-Rats have always worked with are highly, highly respected.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

As for Braddock, while its true we've wasted some time with him pitching injured, the team has taken steps to prevent this from happening again. The trainer he had in West Virginia is no longer with the organization. In the minor leagues, each team has a local orthepedist it works with.. The Brewers are no longer is WV, and the 2 team doctors for the T-Rats have always worked with are highly, highly respected.
I know you and I have beat this issue before, but the fact that the Brewers are no longer in WV has absolutely nothing to do with anything. The trainer and the medical staff in WV belonged to the Brewers also. Regardless of that, let's all hope Zach continues on the path he is on. I have talked to him several times since he started throwing, and he sounds fantastic! Zach was very dominating here, and he is one of the neatest people I have had the pleasure of knowing in baseball. He is still only 21, but if he stays healthy and continues to progress, I'm really excited for him. He is a hard worker...the path that he has had to take fighting and "undiagnosed" injury at 19 and 20 years of age after already having had TJ and continuing to come back strong, has to show you guys how much he wants this!

I know you and I have beat this issue before, but the fact that the Brewers are no longer in WV has absolutely nothing to do with anything. The trainer and the medical staff in WV belonged to the Brewers also.
The Trainer was a Brewers employee, like I said, but was not retained. The team doctors are local, and still work with WV, but now with Pirates players. Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

So your tellin me, that the Brewers send multi-millions of investment dollars to wherever, and then they are tended to by whatever Dr with a license was in the area? I admire your staunch defense of the parent club, but I just don't buy that. Doesn't seem like prudent business sense, but since I never saw the Dr's paychecks here, I'll give you that point if it makes you feel better. I guess I'm glad to see that you have total faith in your medical staff in Wisconsin. But answer one other question for me...Braddock only spent 1 week in WV over the last year and 1/2....bad Drs in Florida too?

So your tellin me, that the Brewers send multi-millions of investment dollars to wherever, and then they are tended to by whatever Dr with a license was in the area?
I highly doubt WV aligns themslves with just some hack, but they do choose their team doctors. The Braddock injury was a rather rare one. Its difficult to detect a nerve thats out of place, this is rarely something that gets found early, at least it hasn't been with the major league pitchers that have had the same procedure. The good news is it can be fixed, and it looks like its full steam ahead for Braddock. As TheCrew07 points out, the biggest obstacle is getting his innings built up. I'm guessing we'll see Zack in the AFL. The Brewers could send a very exciting group there this year.

Another nice appearance? Why don't you guys believe in this guy?

It's not that we don't believe in him... it's that as Brewers fans we are conditioned to believe the worst case scenario will happen and we are cautiously holding our breath that he is healthy and will stay healthy. Good call on him going to the AFL. Probably a good bet that Green will join him.

Archived