Brewer Fanatic

Top Notch Starters at Deadline

Lucroy/Salome and Green will probably be in the deal along with Jones/Rogers
Thats how I see it. The pitcher in the deal could be a number of guys, like Butler, I'd be fine with Anundsen. The Cardinals were rumored to be the other team interested, and I can't see how they beat that because they won't include Wallace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would not like to give up Green. I think we need him in a couple years.
We don't need a corner IF untill 2012. Thats way too far away to plan for. I really like Green, but he's more valuable to a team that needs a 3B, we'll need a 1B. We could shift an OF in to fill that role.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

As for Buchholz I would be all for a trade for him, but it seems Boston has no intention of trading him.

As for a Bedard deal, I really hope Rogers would not be included. I still think he can contribute in Milwaukee in a year or two. He has pitched very well for BC this season but has been on a strict pitch count. Looking forward to a higher count when he can go 5+ innings.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I don't see why we should have to give up so much for a half season rental of a guy who is injury prone, and while a great pitcher, not like he's on the level of a Sabathia or something.
I agree, thats why I thinks he's the one we get. Thats why I think we can get him without giving up an elite prospect. A couple of top 10 guys, but no top 5 guys.The added bonus is Jack Z will see value in some prospects other teams don't. For example, Jack Z has always gushed about Cole Gillespie, while other teams might see little value in him.

How many games back would the Cubs have to be to sell off Gregg and/or Harden? It's beginning to shape up as a barren trade market for established pitching and if the Cubs were to make those two available as half season rentals, they could easily restock for another run next year when they'll have a healthy A-Ram. The only question is how many games back would they have to be to become sellers?

This probably isn't the place, but seriously, why isn't Braddock more untouchable? We're an organization that lacks any semblance of a lefty dominator in the minors (E-Fred only scares the catcher) and this kid is absolutely dominating! Even if he ends up in the bullpen, he could be a Fuentes or Thornton-type, the guy that we thought we were getting in George of the Rose.

Braddock doesn't seem to get talked about a lot, for whatever reason. I think this organization has more quality pitching in the minors than people realize, but the problem is most of the guys are still a year or two away from the majors. Also, "George of the Rose" is pretty funny.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If we can get Bedard without having to give up Gamel, Escobar, Rogers or Butler I would be 100% behind it with no issues.
Butler and Rogers?

I can think of 5 pitchers I would rather keep those those two - maybe even 10.

I can think of 5 pitchers I would rather keep those those two - maybe even 10.
Jeffress and Braddock were already mentioned, but who is your other 8? You keep the high ceiling guys, not guys you hope turn out to be Suppan, like Anundsen. 10 pitching prospects who are tradable ahead og Rogers and Butler?No way, and I love what we have in the low minors.

I agree, thats why I thinks he's the one we get. Thats why I think we can get him without giving up an elite prospect. A couple of top 10 guys, but no top 5 guys.The added bonus is Jack Z will see value in some prospects other teams don't. For example, Jack Z has always gushed about Cole Gillespie, while other teams might see little value in him.

I agree with X. The other thing is it seems like jack Z couldn't hold the "He's gonna be a Type A free agent" thing over the Brewers' heads. according to MLB Trade Rumors projections, he's not even a borderline Type A in the AL right now, so even if they kept him they would only get B compensation.

Of course, a lot can change between now and the end of the season. But it's interesting to see that players such as Guerrero, Beltre, and Lackey are no locks for Type A. Wondering about Erik Bedard? He has 69.259 of 100 points, while the lowest Type A American League starter has a 74.815 score. He's in the middle of the AL Type B starting pitchers at the moment. But if Bedard is traded to an NL club, he'll be ranked with that league's starters.

As an FYI, Hoffman is ranked a type A right now and Cameron is a type B.

Jeffress and Braddock were already mentioned, but who is your other 8?
Peralta, Scarpetta, Odorizzi, and Arnett are all easy choices.

I would also include the likes of Anundsen, Cody and Frederickson.

I understand your point of "high ceiling" pitchers - but many "high ceiling" pitchers never pan out. A Suppan type pitcher for $400,000 a year instead of $12,500,000 is very valuable.

Even when Rogers wasn't hurt - his results were mediocre. Butler completely feel off the radar until being promoted to AAA (then back down to AA), but his BB/K ratio in A+ was less than encouraging. There is certainly a push and pull between likely average MLB players and possibly great MLB players.

What am I missing that even puts Butler in this conversation?
I think he could be a spot start guy like Carlos V was a few years back. His numbers have been very good. He has been all the way up to AAA this year and is currently at AA. Between those two levels in 4 starts he has went 21 innings striking out 21 and walking just 2. He obviously is not going that deep into games but he could be a spot start guy. He is not an answer to our lack of an impact arm outside of Yo.

Peralta, Scarpetta, Odorizzi, and Arnett are all easy choices.

I would also include the likes of Anundsen, Cody and Frederickson.

Scarpetta has an ERA over 4 in A ball. He has been a little bit of a disappointment. Peralta is interesting, but hasn't dominated either. Niether has the velocity Rogers has. You know I love Arnett, but he's can't be traded for a year. Odorrizzi is a mile away. Butler could compete in the majors right now.

Chris Cody is such an anamoly, I can'y decide what to think of him. I want him in the majors now, but I have no idea what his ceiling is. I'll give you that one.

You only listed 7(and only 6 that fit the argument), I thought you said it was 10, and 5 of them are arguable at best.

Butler completely feel off the radar until being promoted to AAA (then back down to AA), but his BB/K ratio in A+ was less than encouraging.
Maybe your radar, but not mine. Is that all you go off is results? When do you consider a guys stuff? Theres lots of examples of great MLB pitchers who struggled in the low minors.

Well Peralta throws pretty darn hard, he tops out in the mid 90s and he's young enough he could add 1-2 more MPH yet. Bowman busted out of the group first, but I'd guess that Peralta is the next WI pitcher promoted.

The day Rogers quits walking people he becomes a super prospect like Yo was and Braddock is turning into. He's in a very similar place as Jeffress... will either pitcher reign themselves in? No idea, but I'm going to hope for the best.

We'll know more about Odorizzi after the summer is over... I'm hoping for the best there. I'm glad X mentioned he's a little disappointed with Scarpetta, because I am as well. He's walking way too many batters to be considered elite at this point in time, he gets himself in trouble the same as Frederickson tends to, except as X and I have both noted in the last couple of weeks, hitters don't hit Frederickson hard at all. I'll be interested to see Evan pitch again after the break. Scarpetta will serve up the occasion meatball that tends to hurt him after he's put people on base.

I also like Rivas and Bowman, though I think I'm one of the few who likes both pitchers, Periard has always had sub par results compared to his stuff, he's another break out candidate if he stays healthy.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Minor quibble with you here, X--

Scarpetta has an ERA over 4 in A ball. He has been a little bit of a disappointment. Peralta is interesting, but hasn't dominated either.

Maybe your radar, but not mine. Is that all you go off is results? When do you consider a guys stuff?

First of all, Peralta has struck out 11 per 9 and walked 2.5 per 9 while giving up 1 homer. I consider that absolutely dominating. Scarpetta's striking out 11/9 IP as well, he's walking 5 but that's understandable at his age. I'm a little confused at your philosophy-- you're looking at non-peripheral results and not the stuff and potential of those two, and then your justification for Rogers is his stuff? Peralta throws 94.

Rogers, in 20 innings, has struck out 7.5 and walked 6.5. I'm anxious to see what he turns in to, but I think a guy like Peralta (especially when he's throwing 93 and 94) would undoubtedly be a better prospect than him at this point.

According to MLBtraderumors, Melvin, Macha, and the rest of the brass met today to talk about the starting rotation. It will be interesting to hear if anything is leaked. I still wonder if we aren't going to start seeing a little bit harder push to look into Pedro, although all the reports about the talk between him and the Brewers suggest to me that he doesn't really want to come to Milwaukee at this point.

Archived