• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blue Jays:

Blue Jays get Escobar, Lawrie, and Parra

Brewers get Halladay

What?!

What?!

We get an aging pitcher and give up half of our future infield along with a pitcher we have control of for at least the next 4 years after this year. We need Escobar and Lawrie in the near future.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

sorry, to Weirdos --

I don't want to make it seem like I don't appreciate you trying to go through some possibilities... that last trade idea for Halladay just about made me choke, though http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No one is taking Suppan without shedding an equally heinous contract. Suppan for Cain and Zito? Maybe.
That would work!

Zito could then become the designated batting practice pitcher.

They mentioned the Indians wanted MLB ready pitching in return, but didn't list possible destinations, at least when I was paying attention.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I heard something on the radio the other day saying Arizona was going to make Webb available when he's healthy. His contract is very reasonable. Team option for 8.5 next year, I wonder what it would take to get him, assuming there's any validity to AZ dangling him.

definitely not a top notch starter, but Paul Byrd is still a free agent. He's only type B, so there would be no forfeiture of picks and he's come pretty cheap at a prorated salary.

Just a thought . . .

definitely not a top notch starter, but Paul Byrd is still a free agent. He's only type B, so there would be no forfeiture of picks and he's come pretty cheap at a prorated salary.
Wait a week(well, just over) and the type A/B free agent thing doesn't matter at all.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Just a thought . . .

I know what you want. You want us to sign Byrd so the Red Sox get a draft pick.

We'll make you a deal, we'll sign Byrd tomorrow, if you sign Sheets tomorrow. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Honestly though, I don't see Byrd as an upgrade in the rotation.

Contract wise, both years and figures(6.5 this year, 8.5 next), he's just about perfect. Any cheaper and they wouldn't consider trading him, any higher gives us more risk taking him on.

Actually I am going to have to disagree on this. Any higher than $15 million for next year yes that would be too high for the Brewers to take on considering the other holes the Brewers will have to fill.

What other holes? There's CF, catcher and maybe closer.
You just listed the other holes. CF, catcher, a starter and a closer. If you figure in Cameron and Kendall coming back next year that is about $8-12 million right there. If Looper doesn't come back you add in more money to pay for another starter which will be about another $5-10 million depending on free agency. Then you have to take into consideration do the Brewers make Villanueva a closer or do they resign Hoffman or another to be the closer? That is another $4-10 million depending on which way the Brewers go. If it is Villanueva then the Brewers will just promote someone from the minors to take a spot in the bullpen.

$15 million would be near the top of what the Brewers should spend on one player next year. That isn't the whole salary for the next season that is about the maximum they should spend on one player for a year.

I certainly hope DM the GM is talking to Cameron about a 1 year extension for 2010.

Also, I would love to see the Crew give Rivera and Salome catching duties for next year. Kendall is a decent catcher, but his handling of pitching is overrated. And I would hope those 2 catchers could hit .230 with a ton more power than Kendall. Beginning to think I'd rather have Hank White back instead of Kendall (Henry Blanco for our Spanish speakers).

Bedard is absolutely not the kind of player for whom I'd want to give up on Manny.

Seconded. I'd give up Parra for Peavy. I wouldn't give up Parra for a half season rental in Bedard.

Community Moderator
The thing that's really starting to become a problem for the Brewers is that all of the major pieces that they could trade away in a deal are performing poorly and probably hurting their trade value as a result.

Archived