Brewer Fanatic

Top Notch Starters at Deadline

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does Francouer obviously have talent? In fact it looks pretty much like he doesn't have talent.

The problem with Vasquez is that do the Braves really not need him if they hope to compete next season? They are loaded with pitching talent but I'm not sure they are willing to part with the 200+ quality innings Vasquez brings.

Why does Francouer obviously have talent? In fact it looks pretty much like he doesn't have talent.
He is a gold glover (19 assists in 2007, 14 in 2008) and he hit 48HR w/ 208 RBI in his first 2 seasons in the MLB. He was a first round pick and a he was selected to the US team in the 2006 WBC. You cannot perform at that level without having any talent.

I know he had an abysmal year last year which I really do not understand (130 point drop in OPS from 2007!) and he is not doing so hot this year, but the guy is only 25 years old. Based on his track record, he could easily bounce back. Perhaps a change of scenery to a contender in a hitter friendly park (at night)? I know he is definitely a downgrade from Hart, but not as much as everyone puts him to be.

And I do agree with endaround on the problem with Vasquez. I think they would want a haul for Vasquez because of that very reason. I don't think the Braves have a chance this year, but if they want to compete next year, they are going to need him for sure. Atlanta is so deep with pitching, I couldn't imagine them not listening to offers for someone though (eexcept Hanson). I'd be happy with Derek Lowe even. Do you think the Braves would part with someone like Medlen?

In the end, just a slightly smaller pipe dream than the Crew landing Cliff Lee.

No idea what they'd be looking at. I'd be willing to give Fracouer a shot here in a platoon role for the rest of the year to see if the change of scenery might help. I'd take him along with Vazquez if that sweetened the deal enough from Atlanta's side, but i would not be adding JF thinking that I am getting the player of three years ago.

Catching might not fit for Atlanta, but I think that this trade deadline is the one where we decide who we like more...Salome or Lucroy. Deal the other one in a move for pitching.

A while back, we were wondering what some of our AAA prospects might yield us. Guys like Iribarren, Heether, Katin, Dillard. Is anybody else thinking that the rumors with Arizona would maybe focus on two of the aforementioned in exchange for Doug Davis? I can see Melvin hoping to add a starter by throwing a few of those types at teams and seeing who the best pitcher they can land is.

I was not trying to say that he would come in and play like his former self, I simply did not (and still do not) understand the hatred for Francouer, especially if he was a throw in with decent pitching. Like I said before, I'd much much much much rather have Hart (who might be heating up!). All I was trying to say is that you can't just count the guy out because of 1 1/2 bad years. And I whole-heartedly disagree with the Bill Hall comparison.

What about Wandy Rodriguez? He is in a one year contract (I think for 2.6 mil) and he is pitching pretty fantastic this year. I wouldn't think he would be a part of that group of seemingly untouchable players on the Astros being that it is a contract year and he is breaking out. What do you think the Astros would want for him? I think the Brewers would have a legitimate chance of resigning him too.

It appears that Halladay isn't untouchable, so that got me wondering how close a deal like this would be. What about Hart and Hardy for Halladay? My first thought is that Toronto really doesn't need Hart, but maybe a 3rd team could be brought in to send Hart to. If a deal like this was done then the Brewers would have to follow it up with a trade for a OFer(Dye would be nice).

Hart and Hardy doesn't even get close to Halladay. Start with at least two top prospects and add a few more good prospects and Toronto starts to listen.
Hardy is worth 2 top prospects, so a deal that has him in is close to aquiring anyone. Halladay is awesome, no doubt, but who can make an offer better than Hardy and Hart? It would have to be a 3 team deal, as Toronto has no use for Hart, but those happen. Hart to Atlanta for Medlin and another prospect that Toronto likes, and we're getting closer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Hart and Hardy doesn't even get close to Halladay. Start with at least two top prospects and add a few more good prospects and Toronto starts to listen.
Hardy is worth 2 top prospects, so a deal that has him in is close to aquiring anyone. Halladay is awesome, no doubt, but who can make an offer better than Hardy and Hart? It would have to be a 3 team deal, as Toronto has no use for Hart, but those happen. Hart to Atlanta for Medlin and another prospect that Toronto likes, and we're getting closer.
Adding Halladay to the rotation would be CC like tremendous, I'd be willing to add Parra with Hardy and Hart for him.

I think any Halladay deal starts with Escobar and Lawrie and then start adding pitching prospects like Anundsen, Peralta and Odorizzi. This guy is better than Sabathia and signed longer. You're going to need top prospects. Not two guys struggling right now, one of which is going to be a free agent the same year as Halladay.

You'd have to think that Lawrie and Taylor Green being Canadiens would make them too guys Toronto would insist on. Throw in Corey Hart or their pick of a minor league pitcher and they may be pretty tempted.
What would they do with Hart though? Unless Rios or Wells are coming over in the deal that is one crowded OF. Hart makes no sense for the Blue Jays to target in a deal unless they are unloading Rios or Wells in the same deal or in another deal.

I still stand by the Blue Jays not trading Halladay. Of course they will look at what they could get for Halladay but it is going to have to be a deal that blows them away something along the lines of Braddock, Lawrie, Escobar, and Green/Lucroy for Halladay something like that is where I believe the Blue Jays would start with and insist on.

Just as a general point of information, Eric Bedard will make his first start returning from injury tomorrow, and will be operating on a pitch count "around 75" (per Bedard).

For folks who've been following all the SP speculation on this forum, this would be a game to make sure to watch (if possible). Bedard will face Baltimore & SP Jeremy Guthrie.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

For folks who've been following all the SP speculation on this forum, this would be a game to make sure to watch (if possible). Bedard will face Baltimore & SP Jeremy Guthrie.
You got that right. Seattle could use another OF. They're starting Ryan Langhans in LF. They need offense, there last in the AL in Runs Scored. The annoying thing about Seattle is they keep winning, staying on the fringe of the division race. However, a deal that helps them now, like getting Hart for LF, might coax them to give up Bedard. Garret Olsen held his own in Bedards absense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I can't believe the Blue Jays will possibly trade Halladay unless they absolutely must dump salary.
Take a look at Vernon Wells' contract and you'll understand why they have to dump salary. The problem they have is Halladay is the only high price guy that has trade value.

Halladay is the one guy I'd consider giving up Escobar for. If the Brewers gave up their number 3 prospect for a half season of Sabathia, it stands to reason that a year and a half for Halladay would be worth the number one. Escobar, Parra and a lower level prospect would be the offer.

Yeah, I saw Ken Rosenthal speculates that either the Phillies or Brewers would probably be the best fit for Toronto.

I would give up either Escobar or Gamel for Roy Halladay (but not both).

That said, we'd probably have to do something like Escobar/Parra/Lawrie/etc to get him, like you said.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived