Brewer Fanatic

Top Notch Starters at Deadline

Is it too early for a thread on this? My gut tells me that we'd be looking at a top notch starter if we make any deal. Looks like Toronto might not be selling Halladay afterall if they keep this up. San Diego (Peavey) is improved, but I have to believe they'd deal him for the right package. Who are some other names we should be keeping an eye on. Of the top notch starters, these are the only two I can really recall being mentioned around these parts for the past year.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, but what would they want in return? He's got a nice contract 4/44.75 and is signed through 2012 with a '13 option at 15.5.

AZ has lots of youth in the IF, Tracey is replaceable but we don't have a 1B prospect to trade them unless we're talking Gamel. I don't see them being interested in Escobar with Ojeda and Drew there. Reynolds seems to be their 3B but they might have an interest in Green. They could use an OF, but Cain is hurt and needed for CF. If Gamel doesn't stick at third and moves to the OF Hart might have some value to them. Their 2 headed monster at C hasn't exactly worked out the way they would have hoped either and we might have a C to spare but both Salome and Lucroy are struggling at the plate this seaon (surprisingly so).

I gotta believe they'd want pitching back and I'm not sure if they'd want Jeffress given his control problems. They've sold high on players like him before, JDLR comes to mind. If not sure who they would have interest in, maybe Anundsen as filler as he's another sinker ball type?

I find Haren very intriguing given the value in terms of his performance to a very reasonable contract through 2013. AZ and MIL do have a trade history, I'm just not sure if we'd have the piece in place or if they'd give up Haren as they aren't all that far away from contention.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Not really top notch starters but Niemann, Sonnanstine, and Cliff Lee are possibilities. Niemann or Sonnanstine could be traded to make way for Price who the Rays will not keep in the minors for the rest of the year. I believe the Rays are looking to see what they will need to compete with the Red Sox and the Yankees.

Here is a big maybe and I doubt the Astros would make a deal with a division rival but Roy Oswalt could be available. I'm not sure what the Brewers would have to trade to get Oswalt. I'm guessing Escobar+ to get Oswalt.

How about Ben Sheets?

Eric Bedard is the name that springs to mind immediately. There seems to be a natural connection with Jack Z. manning the Seattle post, and Bedard in his free agent year.

Tampa might want to move one its arms as well, if they can get some more offense and clear a space for Price in '10.

How about Ben Sheets?
Has there been any word on how he's doing right now? The last I heard he was rehabbing in Texas, and it seems inevitable that he'll sign with the Rangers. I wouldn't get hung up on him coming back to the Brewers at this point, either way.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Doubt the Rangers will want him more than on a one year deal and by the time he's ready might not want him at all.

Besides Bedard and maybe the Rays making a decision, Johnson will likely be available. His problem right now is giving up a ton of home runs but his velocity looks identical to last year so it could very well just be a fluke.

I'd rather not go for a high priced top notch guy this time around. Two guys on the last years of their contracts, Doug Davis and Jarrod Washburn, are very serviceable and likely to be available if the Brewers have a need come July.

Smoltz and Penny could also be available depending on where Boston believes they are going otherwise Masterson and Buchholz could be available. Other not so top notch pitchers that could be available: Doug Davis, Kevin Milwood, Vicente Padilla, Carl Pavano, Jarrod Washburn, and Jason Schmidt (I don't believe he has pitched yet this year though and really isn't a trade candidate but could be a good risky signing next offseason though.).

Another top notch starter that could be available from the Diamondbacks is Brandon Webb. The Diamondbacks have a 2010 option for Webb and I doubt they would trade him if he gets healthy since they would probably get more for him next year than they would this year. Felix Hernandez is also another name to throw out there. I believe he is on the same track arbitration wise as Prince is. It would take a lot to get Felix from the Mariners but he is another possibility. Lackey is also a free agent after this year and could be on the block but I highly doubt he is unless the Angels fall out of contention and then I still would have my doubts on him being on the trading block.

I'd rather not go for a high priced top notch guy this time around. Two guys on the last years of their contracts, Doug Davis and Jarrod Washburn, are very serviceable and likely to be available if the Brewers have a need come July.
I was surprised to see Washburn is actually having a pretty good year so far. Wouldn't mind seeing him or Davis back in a Brewers uniform, either.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I was surprised to see Washburn is actually having a pretty good year so far. Wouldn't mind seeing him or Davis back in a Brewers uniform, either.
Washburn wasn't nearly as bad as his record last year as he posted 14 quality starts. But the team was putrid. The team is better this year, but they won't likely be in contention for anything in July.

Washburn was Braden Looper last year. He's likely to look like Braden Looper this year. Unless there is an injury he just isn't an upgrade.

My original post included "if they have a need come July". I was referring to an injury situation or one where one guy had completely fallen apart. It's nitpicking, but I'd give Washburn a slight edge over Looper for the simple fact he's compiled numbers in a league with a DH and he's lefthanded. That being said, I wouldn't deal to get him unless there's a hole in the current rotation.

At least you're not bringing up the "He's from Wisconsin" angle http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I don't know, I just get the hunch that if the Brewers are still in it, they will go for someone bigger. Someone to help Gallardo carry the load, hopefully.

Webb would be a nice addition. Any idea what it would take to get him? Is his current injury a cause for future concern though? I see that he's averaged about 226 IP in his 7 year career. But I'm not one to know if that's a lot of wear and tear or not. He did just turn 30, so it would seem like he has some good years left.
Follow me on Twitter

EDIT- Just looked up Webb's contract status

2009: $6.5 million
2010: $8.5 million team option (500,000 buyout)

Wow, talk about a total steal. He is coming off an injury, but here are his recent stats:
3.10, 3.01, 3.30 ERA (past 3 years)
1.13, 1.18, 1.19 WHIP (past 3 years)
His K/9 and K/BB have been steady the past 2 years (slightly worse than his out of this world 2006)

If he's health, we'd have him for Age 30 (2009) and Age 31 (2010).... i'd say this would be 1.5 years, so it would take something significant to get him, more than it would take for a 6 month rental, but Dan Haren would take a better package since Haren is signed for 3.5 years + an option year. I would part with Escobar as part of a package, but def not with another top-5 prospect or probably Jeffress.

MLB.com articles on Brandon Webb

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Brandon Webb Fantasy News

The first two articles are related it was thought he would only need 3 weeks of rest before seeing how it was it then changed to 6 weeks. The third article talks about him throwing, the first two are the most recent articles. You can follow his progress in the fantasy news about Webb. I'm not sure the Brewers should go after Webb but it isn't a very risky move either though since it is just a team option for 2010 and the Brewers really wouldn't be on the hook for a lot of salary like if they traded for Peavy. I'm not confident in Webb pitching any time soon though. With very little to go on what is wrong with his shoulder it is hard to tell what exactly you could expect. If anything though this injury may drop his trade value down and it wouldn't take a lot to get him but still I would assume it would start with Escobar or a pitching prospect.

A quick edit to answer TBWS Webb has a team option for 2010.

Great info Nate. that injury news is HUGE Webb has more of a clean bill of health that does Ben Sheets, but Sheets was very healthy for many seasons with high IP workloads before starting to breakdown during his 4 year extention. Webb's innings thrown the past 6-7 years are HUGE and i don't know enough about his mechanics to know if that might spell doom with this and possible future injuries.

I have no idea if Sheets would ever consider coming back here after the non-extension and then lack of subsequent talks this offseason, but I'd go as so far as to offer Sheets $10 million for one half a season. He'd cost us nothing in prospects, and we'd have no long term financial commitment to him. He gets another shot at being a "playoff savior", this time as our #1 and not playing second fiddle to a CC Sabathia, and has essentially a 3-4 month "tryout" for teams before pursuing a big deal this offseason.

It feels great to be a winner and talking about being a "buyer", but really the Brewers have four options:

Trade for a multi-year anchor in the rotation (Dan Haren/Jake Peavy)- that will be expensive prospect wise, but be a short term AND long term gain on the MLB roster

Trade for a stop-gap anchor in the rotation (Brandon Webb/Roy Holliday)- will require some significant prospects, but not the same level as Haren/Peavy- short term gain on MLB roster

Sign Ben Sheets - require a massive "overpayment", but over 3-4 months, that cost would be limited to this year and require no long term commitment- no prospect loss

Trade for "depth" Like many others, i oppose trading for a #4-#5 type (Brad Penny)- this costs us something and doesn't really improve the team. I realize this might be the last window with "hardy, fielder, and hart on the team (as well as Cameron/Hoffman), but we either GO BIG, or rebuild i think

"but I'd go as so far as to offer Sheets $10 million for one half a season."

That just seems financially irresponsible to me. The guy would be coming off elbow surgery and sitting out half a season, and there's no telling what kind of rust he might have. If he were to go on the DL again before the end of the year, it would probably be about the most useless $10 million spent in one season ever for the Brewers. Realistically, it should take about half that amount to sign him to a 3-4 month deal at this point.

I personally like the idea of trading for a multi-year "anchor" guy, like you said. Obviously, that would be ideal. I just think there's no one in the Brewers' pipeline who looks like they can be a solid upper rotation type. Someone to help Gallardo shoulder the burden would be a huge boon for this team going forward, in my opinion.

I would love for the Brewers to go after a Peavy/Halladay type pitcher, but after last year I just don't see the Brewers having the willingness to continue to wipe out their farm system. I would prefer the Brewers go after someone along the lines of a Matt Cain(yes I know he has been brought up a ton). I would like the Brewers to deal either Hardy or Hart plus a middle level minor leaguer for Cain. Cain could slide into the #2 spot in the rotation and form a nice top of the rotation with Yo for years to come. As for the Giants, they would be one of the teams that have pitching that might take on a major league player in return instead of prospects. If the Brewers did deal Hart they would probably have to get a veteran OFer to finish the year out. Maybe the Giants throw in a Randy Winn as a salary dump.

Do the Brewers try and strike early or do they wait this out, this team looks legit to me, as long as Sveum can keep these guys disciplined at the plate (and major injuries don't strike). The name Peavy keeps coming up, with San Diego basically being out of it it would appear he's going to be dealt. Tough to pull a move like this off 2 years in a row but this team with a #1 or #2 starter could be a World Series contender.

Archived