Brewer Fanatic

Who's your pick?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Latest MLB.com mock has Scheppers slipping past the Brewers to the pick after him. If he does slip that far due to injury concerns, I think it's a risk worth taking since they have two sandwich picks and second round picks and since Scheppers could move up the system quickly.

I'm guessing that it's going to be either Arnett (best case senario, but not likely), Jared Mitchell, or Wil Myers in the first. Then take a HS pitcher who falls with the first supplemental, and a boom or bust project with the second. Very similar to what we did last year.

Latest MLB.com mock has Scheppers slipping past the Brewers to the pick after him. If he does slip that far due to injury concerns, I think it's a risk worth taking since they have two sandwich picks and second round picks and since Scheppers could move up the system quickly.
Scheppers shoulder issues were examined by Lewis Yocum, the shoulder expert, and Angels team doctor. The Angels select twice right in front of the Brewers. If they pas on Scheppers twice, thats a bad omen for his future. Cleveland is interested in him, hopefully they pull the trigger, which would dramatically increase our odds of getting Arnett.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I have to say Mike Minor, despite him being listed as a top-10 guy by both Mayo and Callis (I like him, but a likely # 3/4 starter doesn't usually warrant that high a pick). Sticking with my top college lefty starter philosophy. Barring that, but still sticking to the low-risk strategy, I keep coming back to Pollock (although I'm afraid he might put up Brady Clark-type slugging numbers, which would make him more of a marginal MLB starter).

As far as the type of player I think they'll actually take, I'll stick with the LHP and say Tyler Skaggs, a projectable HS'er. (Of course, I dislike the idea of taking HS pitchers in the first round of the draft, but his profile matches the kind of guy the Brewers would look at.)

That said, I haven't put nearly the amount of time in reading scouting profiles this year, so I don't think I'll have a strong reaction regardless of the pick.

• 10 months later...
If you have been reading long enough, you will know that I still think Casey Kotchman should have been the team's first-round pick in 2001.
Zduriencik on Kotchman:
Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik, previously the Brewers’

scouting director, nearly drafted Kotchman with the 12th overall pick

in 2001. Zduriencik took right-hander Mike Jones

instead, and Kotchman went to the Angels at No. 13.

“The debate

was, ‘Do you take Mike Jones or do you take Casey Kotchman?’” Zduriencik

recalls. “We ended up taking Mike Jones. He was a 6-foot-5 pitcher.

Until he got to Double A and started getting hurt, he looked like he

would be the right pick.”

“I always thought Casey would be a

pretty good offensive player,” Zduriencik says. “I thought back then he

would be a pure raw power guy. Now he’s got power, but he’s a

line-drive guy, a guy who might start to lift some balls.

“It

wouldn’t surprise me this year if he hits 20. It wouldn’t surprise me if

down the road he hit 25.”

Along the lines of Colby's post, I'll go ahead and share my favorite targeted picks for the Brewers picks the past decade:

#11 Overall

1st choice: Michael Stodolka LHP (not avail: picked #4 overall by Royals)

2nd choice: Chase Ultey 3B (passed: picked #14 by Phillies)

Acutal pick: Dave Krynzel OF HS

#12 Overall

1st choice: Aaron Heilman RHP (passed: picked #18 by Mets)

2nd choice: Colt Griffin RHP HS (not avail: picked #9 by Royals)

Actual pick: Mike Jones RHP HS

#7 Overall

1st choice: Chris Gruler RHP HS (not avail: picked #3 by Reds)

2nd choice: Cole Hamels LHP HS (passed: picked #17 by Phillies)

Actual pick: Prince Fielder 1B HS

#2 Overall

1st choice: Delmon Young OF HS(not avail: picked #1 by Rays)

2nd choice: Rickie Weeks 2B (picked)

Actual pick: Rickie Weeks 2B

#5 Overall

1st choice: Homer Bailey RHP HS (passed: picked #7 by Reds)

2nd choice: Jeremy Sowers LHP (passed: picked #6 by Indians)

Actuall pick: Mark Rogers RHP HS

#5 Overall

1st choice: Cameron Maybin OF HS (passed: picked #10 by Tigers)

2nd choice: Ryan Zimmerman 3B (not avail: picked #4 by Nationals)

Actual pick: Ryan Braun 3B

#16 Overall

1st choice: Travis Snider OF HS (not avail: picked #15 by Blue Jays)

2nd choice: Ian Kennedy RHP (passed: picked #21 by Yankees)

Actual pick: Jeremy Jefferess RHP HS

#7 Overall

1st choice: Jason Heyward OF HS (passed: picked #14 by Braves)

2nd choice: Jarrod Parker RHP HS (passed: picked #9 by D-Backs)

Actual Pick: Matt LaPorta 1B

1st choice: Christian Friedrich LHP HS (passed: picked #25 by Rockies)

2nd choice: Garret Cole RHP HS (passed: picked #28 by Yankees-did not sign)

Acutal pick: Brett Lawrie C HS

1st choice: Jacob Turner RHP HS (not avail: picked #9 by Tigers)

2nd choice: Wil Myers C HS (passed: picked #91 by Royals)

Actual pick: Eric Arnett RHP

Brewers squad:

C Brett Lawrie

1B Prince Fielder

1B Matt LaPorta

2B Rickie Weeks

3B Ryan Braun

OF Dave Krynzel

RHP Mike Jones

RHP Mark Rogers

RHP Jeremy Jeffress

RHP Eric Arnett

My squad:

C Wil Myers

2B Rickie Weeks

3B Chase Utley

OF Cameron Maybin

OF Jason Heyward

RHP Aaron Heilman

LHP Cole Hamels

RHP Homer Bailey

RHP Ian Kennedy

LHP Christian Friedrich

10 years later: Which group of draftees do you prefer?

Pudster, both groups are virtually the same. The Fielder, Laporta, Weeks, and Braun picks can't be considered bad. On your list I might like to have Utley, Maybin, Heyward, Hamels, and Kennedy. At this point Rogers and Jeffress are as likely to have a successful career as Bailey. I didn't think highly of Arnett when drafted (not sure why, since I'm no expert...I just normally don't like the college pitcher route, especially when he doesn't have a "BEST" tool. Why draft a potential #4 starter?).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to go out on a limb a little earlier than usual and say that I would be quite pleased if the Brewers drafted Sammy Solis with the 14th overall pick. He is projected to be drafted that high, but I feel his best days are ahead of him, and he has plenty of present-day polish to not make him the usual project the Brewers seem to like to get involved with in the early rounds.

Of course I have other favorites, but Solis is the one name that keeps coming back to me the most.

I've been a fan of Solis for quite some time, so that isn't a new development. When I scribe the mock drafts I try to pick the players as if the teams were, not if I were making the selections, and at this point in time Solis may not be selected in the first round. He's usually ranked in the 25-40 range on most prospect lists (I recognize that I do need to bump him up on my own). Obviously I think he should be http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Louis, I'm not sure if you're relying on my rankings here (it hasn't been updated since the winter if you are), but Scheppers could go as early as

the 2nd overall pick. It's unlikely he falls out of the top 3-5 overall picks the way he's pitching this spring.

Well... he actually did slip past the Brewers... twice. And now is at Oklahoma City, the Rangers AAA affiliate (albeit in their bullpen). And Arnett... well, we won't go there.

My 2010 choice - Barret Loux, RHP, Texas A&M. 7th nationally in K/9 in the NCAA, 5th among starters; 10th in hits allowed/9, 6th among starters. 6'5", 220.

Well... he actually did slip past the Brewers... twice. And now is at Oklahoma City, the Rangers AAA affiliate (albeit in their bullpen). And Arnett... well, we won't go there.
Of course, by saying that you go there, and you also elided the relevant information that Scheppers is exclusively a reliever and widely perceived to have a ticking time bomb in his right shoulder.

That post came on May 20th last year, when Scheppers seemed like a gimme to go among the top 3-5 picks. By the time you posted again on June 9th, in which you noted that a mock draft had Scheppers dropping to the Brewers, his stock had indeed fallen given the uncertainty of his arm. A good reminder that anything can, and will happen on draft day, as your point is noted.

And FWIW, I'd be happy with Loux. As I noted here, there is a good stable of big, power college arms that could be had this year.

I really hope the Brewers go for a bat in the first round, then load up on pitchers. I just feel like after Jones/Rogers/Jeffress/Arnett ... and Prince/Weeks/Braun/LaPorta/Lawrie, I'd feel a lot better in their judgement taking an impact bat (I know each one has a special circumstance, I'm just generalizing). Then being able to nab someone like Gallardo in the 2nd round, and other pitchers later. I admit I don't follow amatuer baseball as much as any of you, but from what I've read on 5 tool talk, perfect game, and just other misc. sites, I would really like to see them take Josh Sale or Nick Castellanos. Is it possible for a guy like Todd Cunningham to slip to their second pick? If they were to take a pitcher in the first round, I hope it is Solis. I think there's something to be said for pitchers coming from San Diego.

Patrick, I just read your story at PG on Christian Colon. Good stuff, thanks for being so easy to read. I think Colon, besides being a Boras client, fits the Brewers perfectly. The organization is weak at SS, and he seems to be the kind of bat they draft, a power hitter with bat speed. Unlike many other Brewers, he adds contact ability. He is also patient, and you want as many hitters like that as you can get. With his character, we can't go wrong. His defense isn't a concern to me. After watching Escobar be a major downgrade defensively despite superior speed, it makes me appreciate players like Hardy and Colon that are instinctive and efficient, with no wasted motion and a quick release. Colon doesn't have great speed, but he's faster than Hardy, and speed is easily the most over-rated trait in a ballplayer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived