Brewer Fanatic

The Happy Youngster Strikes Again? Coghlan's Home Run Ball Held for Ransom

homer
Diskono wrote:

I've never caught one either, but I'd imagine that catching someone's first home run, shaking his hand and congratulating him, and swapping it for a signed ball would be even more memorable.

Right, instead of having a bunch of negotiated for stuff that would leave a sour taste in my mouth every time I so much as looked at it. Especially a picture of me shaking hands with a player who now despises me.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have caught a foul ball at a game. Let me tell you, there is no better feeling at game than catching a foul ball...and then looking for the nearest little kid to give it to. That is what I did and continue to do. Any ball I catch is going right into my dogs mouth or (now that I have kids) into my kids toybox, so lets not pretend that these baseballs have some sort of huge value, they dont. The only reason this ball had value to HY is because it had value to Coghlan.

brewerjamie15 wrote:

The Happy Youngster goes to probably 40+ home games, 5-6 away games, spring training, clubhouse sales, fan events, and a game or two per year not involving the Brewers. He coughs up including travel, lodging, etc, a huge chunk of cash. I'm thinking he's at least a pretty good Brewers fan. I'm thinking he understands how baseball treats fans at times. "It's a business" baseball says, and they are then shocked when a fan accepts that approach and "calls a spade a spade". He started off asking for what he asked for (not relying on the Marlins media to paint a neutral picture ya know) and expected to go much lower because of a "business".

You guys are vilifying some hip cat for getting a baseball bat in return for a ball? I don't care who signs the stinking bat. I don't care if he asked for tickets to a game somewhere. Baseball supplies what fans want. HY had the opportunity to supply baseball what it wanted. Do you really feel he was wrong for asking something in return? If I had caught that ball and I said I wanted a couple tickets to 2-3 future Brewers games, am I wrong too? Remember now, baseball charges for souvenirs fans want. HY had a souvenir a player wanted. He charged for it. You call him greedy or selfish. Baseball is greedy too but you guys are kind of forgetting that right now I think.

While I find the whole situation interesting, I'm not really passionate about it one way or the other but I believe what people are saying is there's such a thing as decency, dignity, and self respect. They're sticking it to me so I can stick it to them isn't what it's all about.

Bill Hall at 99...hmm, could it take a week http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Hall actually hit his 100th the other day.

The Happy Youngster goes to probably 40+ home games, 5-6 away games, spring training, clubhouse sales, fan events, and a game or two per year not involving the Brewers. He coughs up including travel, lodging, etc, a huge chunk of cash.

Really none of my business, but if he can afford to do all those things...... clearly he is pretty well off financially, the point I'm driving at is why is he even bringing up salary in the negotiation?

It's personal choice to spend money traveling on a $50,000/year salary... so because he makes that choice it's okay to do what he does? The sideways logic here just isn't working for me. How much he makes and his job had nothing to do with the issues at hand, why even insult the player making it seems like he owes HY anything?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I have caught a foul ball at a game. Let me tell you, there is no better feeling at game than catching a foul ball...and then looking for the nearest little kid to give it to. That is what I did and continue to do. Any ball I catch is going right into my dogs mouth or (now that I have kids) into my kids toybox, so lets not pretend that these baseballs have some sort of huge value, they dont. The only reason this ball had value to HY is because it had value to Coghlan.
The one baseball I have has huge value to me. Just because you believe something, it does not make it Gospel. Also, I don't think you have any idea what HY thinks, knows, or feels, so try not to act as though you do. We can only go by what we believe and think, and it's awesome that you like to give away balls and feel as though that don't have any value. I disagree however.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't care how much Hanley Ramirez makes, or Coghlan makes, (or HY, for that matter). I simply don't understand why it's "ok" to ask a guy to ask someone else to surrender their personal property.

So you find someone's wedding ring on your property. Would it be reasonable to say "I found your wedding ring, I want 20 bucks, and I want you to get your neighbor's weed whacker for me too"?

I've only had two interactions with HY. One was fine (bought something from him on ebay - for the record he was a great seller!) , the other left me shaking my head (not really worth mentioning here because it's unrelated). But I think that when you spend a decade earning a certain reputation (and maybe not the reputation he thinks he was earning), people will jump all over you when they get the chance.

For anyone who remembers back in the day when HY was shagging balls at County Stadium he, to put it diplomatically, would "upset" some people - not with what he was doing, but with how he was doing it and even more than that his attitude while he was doing it.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

I pointed out baseball's greed because everyone was talking about HY's "greed".

I don't see it as "sticking it to them" at all really. I see it as asking a selling price in a business atmosphere.

"Capitalism" is what is understood in baseball. They always take what they can get. Remember when CC Sabathia left Milwaukee for capitalistic gains? He saw what he could get, he took it. He owed us nothing to stay here, HY owed the Marlins and Coghlan nothing in return.

I have not seen in any published site besides this one, and I have to imagine it only a malicious lie, but if you look at the AP article nowhere does it state that HY claimed to be of any specific profession or claim any salary at all. He said he works for a living at an honest job. This was likely stated by HY to remove doubt on the Marlins behalf as to whether or not the bats would be on ebay that night.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I have not seen in any published site besides this one, and I have to imagine it only a malicious lie, but if you look at the AP article nowhere does it state that HY claimed to be of any specific profession or claim any salary at all. He said he works for a living at an honest job. This was likely stated by HY to remove doubt on the Marlins behalf as to whether or not the bats would be on ebay that night.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hgwxhyoSXydVAyH_Oj6RLwyUl-5QD98696C83

"I explained that ballhawking is my hobby and that what I was asking in return was fair," Yohanek said Thursday, in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "I told him I make $50,000 a year working in law enforcement and that I didn't feel like I was asking for too much. He responded, 'Good for you.' Real classy. Way to respect law enforcement. Way to respect a fan."

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am shocked that people obsess over this so much. I understand what Valpo is saying for sure. Collecting balls obviously means a lot to the guy. Someone who puts that much effort into collecting batting practice balls, I think would value milestone home run balls by quite a bit. I think a lot of people are pushing their personal beliefs should be held by everyone. Just because a ball means nothing to you, does not mean it doesn't mean something to someone else.

I sure can't say I would do everything the way HY does, since I don't really care about catching home run balls. At the same time, never catching one doesn't let me see the thrill and the value there is in it. I don't see why people are so bent out of shape about this. From the things I have read, I think I can see HY's side every step of the way. He is right, attendance in Florida stinks, would it have been a big deal to give up some tickets? Is asking for an additional player's signed bat considered classless? Maybe, but I don't see the harm in asking.

I guess threads like these are one big reason why I have shied away from this site over the past year or so. It seems too many people are just so full of themselves and they are too confident that they are right and others are wrong. Personally reading people's weird obsessions over this, Yost, Helms, and whatever else put a bigger black-eye on Brewer fans than HY in my opinion.

"Say you like some chick, she's cute, nice bod, you finally get invited over to her place, and she's got like 1,000 unicorn figurines around her place. I would be out of there in a minute, because that's just plain crazy.

I equate this story about the "youngster" to a chick like that. [/i]

Now imagine that chick had a cabinet full of guns and ammo =(

There comes a point when it all becomes an unhealthy obsession, and imo Nick has crossed that line long ago. And yes, I have SEEN Nick push children out of his way to get a ball. Needless to say it was inadvertent, still shameful.

The changing of clothes and accessories to enhance his bargaining power over visiting players is not right either, imo. It borders on conning. I am not a fan of Nick, and when I see him at the park he ironically makes me feel unhappy.

Yeah, I don't get the guys line of thinking on that one....... What does he want Coghlan to say when he tells him his salary and what he does for a living? Also, It isn't about respecting law enforcement, last I checked he wasn't in uniform at the game and it's just a complete lack of professionalism to act with that type of arrogance/entitlement. I just don't see how Coghlan is being disrespectful to law enforcement or even the fan for that matter.

I think most people here don't have an issue with what he does - it's more about his attitude.

I had wanted to attend this series anyway," Yohanek said. "Considering (Marlins) attendance is barely over 15,000 nightly, I didn't feel like this was too much to ask."

Boy, that's not a smug tone at all.

I have to wonder about a "hobby" that involves shoving kids out of your way to get a 9 dollar ball.

This was likely stated by HY to remove doubt on the Marlins behalf as to whether or not the bats would be on ebay that night.

The Marlins had every right to think the guy was a 'fake'. What's with the Marlins hat and such? I'm sure him being a 'fake' fan didn't exactly make the Marlins willing to help him out.

It's flat out wrong to be wearing the the opposing teams gear and claim to be a fan in my book. I have a feeling HY will be going out of business in terms from getting balls from the opposing teams...and maybe even the Brewers.

if half of what was sad about Happy was said about even a guy like Zambrano, the thread would be locked and bans would be issued.

The slippery moderating slope here is striking the balance between Happy the celebrity and Happy the member. Brewerfan's tolerance for condescension is much greater when it's directed toward a celebrity than it is when directed toward a member.

There'd be much greater tolerance for condescending tone toward a Carlos Zambrano than there would be for condescension toward a Brewerfan member. Actually, under normal circumstances, we wouldn't be discussing something controversial involving a member at all--unless said member brought it up.

So the balance seems to be this: the topic is still open for discussion because it involves Happy the celebrity. Tolerance for condescension is based on Happy being a member.

Because Happy is inviting comments on both sides of the issue via his blog, I have to believe that he'd prefer that this thread remain open. However, please do note that since Peavey's admonition this morning, five posts have been hidden. We don't like to hide material, but in this case, it's a way to keep the thread up and running.

Also note that Peavey's request was the third time a moderator commented in this thread about name calling and such. Please keep in mind that we can't keep doing that forever.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I brought it up before and I think I've only seen one or two mention it. HY can't take the higher road in the discussion when he openly talks about stealing baseballs at games. His glove trick--which involves being stealthy when security is around and then running as soon as the ball is gotten--is actually taking baseballs from the stadium. It would be like if I brought a long pole (like a golfball retriever) and used it to grab any baseball I saw. If it's in the stands, that's legitimately for the fans. If it's thrown to them, same thing. But to openly steal a baseball is breaking the law. I've heard that Brewers officials don't like dealing with him, and if that's the case, then they should pursue banning him from Miller Park for theft of team property.

I still contend--from my earlier post--that his 14 ball game deprived 13 others of having baseballs. I've gotten two foul balls (both on the fly), and I still have the first. The second is on a kid's shelf because I knew it would make his day, month, and year. Yes, it was terribly selfish of my to find personal satisfaction in a generous act that increased the utility of another.

Diskono wrote:

I've never caught one either, but I'd imagine that catching someone's first home run, shaking his hand and congratulating him, and swapping it for a signed ball would be even more memorable.

Right, instead of having a bunch of negotiated for stuff that would leave a sour taste in my mouth every time I so much as looked at it. Especially a picture of me shaking hands with a player who now despises me.

One of the parts of this that I haven't seen anyone else comment on is that he put in his demands how the bat is signed. "Made out to Nick, thanks for catching my first home run ball" or something along those lines. That was a little awkward to me. You can request an autograph but I don't understand telling the player how to do it. Then his comments on his blog about how he is upset that Coghlan didn't look genuine in his photograph... I wouldn't put on a big smile for that either. Regardless of your opinion on the matter the player had to spend the rest of the game and then afterwards wondering if he was ever going to get that ball back. It appears as if the ball was being held ransom for as much stuff as possible. I know HY made a point on his blog to say that he handed out a few of the batting practice balls to kids in the stands which is nice. However, who do you think those kids would have liked to get the ball from? A MLB player or another fan in the stands? DHonks made the point that if he got 14 balls during the game that is 13 kids that went with out the experience. I didn't think of that until reading that post and I'm glad DHonks said that. Most people that get a ball at the game go home and tell someone about it excitedly. It's a big deal to people. Especially when they aren't used to getting one or 14 a night.

There comes a point when it all becomes an unhealthy obsession, and imo Nick has crossed that line long ago. And yes, I have SEEN Nick push children out of his way to get a ball. Needless to say it was inadvertent, still shameful.
If I ever saw someone shoving kids out of the way at a game, well, I'd have more than a mouthful to say about it, that's for sure.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Is he actually a cop? I've seen him say he's in "law enforcement" but that could be a lot of things. No knock on him just curious.....if he's not a cop he should make that clear because a lot of people think he is.

Yeah, he is a sworn law enforcement officer. He works for a sheriff's department in the southeastern portion of the state. However, I don't know if he works on the road or strictly in the jail. What disgusts me is that he brought up the fact that he is a law enforcement officer in the first place. What is that supposed to mean to Coghlan? He is trying to turn Coghlan into the bad guy for his "good for you" comment.

I also agree with the others here. He is admitting to theft with his glove trick. That's a misdemeanor. If his supervisors knew about it, he would be suspended or possibly terminated.

The Major League Player's Association calls baseball a business.

The owners of the teams call baseball a "business".

The Management of the teams call baseball a "business".

Remember now, baseball charges for souvenirs fans want. HY had a souvenir a player wanted. He charged for it.

Is going to a ball game is essentially like going to Kohl's, or Pick and Save, or buying and selling stuff on Ebay or craigslist, purely a business transaction? Is collecting balls and trading them HY's own small business? If it is a business the usual method of exchanging things of value is to use money, because that is a lot simpler and in this case, less emotional than barter.

If I buy a souvenir from a business, they do not ask me to go on a quest to obtain something they want from my neighbor,nor do they ask me to pose for a picture with the owner of the business.

Bill Hall at 99...hmm, could it take a week http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hall actually hit his 100th the other day.

Arghhh, and here I already had my attorney writing up a contract with my list of demands for Hall to sign http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

He hit one in that afternoon game, that was not on TV, didn't he...that must have been it. I assume he got it back without incident.

Archived