Brewer Fanatic

The Happy Youngster Strikes Again? Coghlan's Home Run Ball Held for Ransom

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
All I can go on is this incident. I know nothing of the past Jenkins incidents, stealing balls from the pen, or running over kids. Looking at this incident alone, I can't fathom the hate he is receiving.

No one is using just this incident though. People are looking at his total history.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got an e-mail asking where someone should write to the Brewers if they are tired of this person stealing baseballs from the bullpen, seatjumping, and the like, all of which he freely admits to on his blog. When it's all said and done, he might not be allowed to do such crap anymore, or at very least, brag about it.

I can't believe all the rules violations he has freely put out for the world to see. He's a blatant example of the type of fan that no one wants in Miller Park, and he's done it all to himself, rather than taking the 5th.

He reminds me of the guy who outs himself in Legally Blonde, but the irony is, he wasn't even tricked into doing so by the sharp wit of Reese Witherspoon's character.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Looks like this is getting even more attention now: http://deadspin.com/52574...e-super-fan-+-who-ya-got

I've followed this thread with some interest but haven't offered anything so far. My stance on this 'story' can be summed up as follows.

Things I don't care about:

- He chases/snags/collects baseball as a hobby - we all find pleasure in different ways

- He demanded an atypical amount of items in return for the baseball - it's within his right to ask, although I think many of us would have conducted ourselves differently if in that situation

- His occupation and salary compared to that of Chris Coghlan - I find this irrelevant to this argument

Things I do care about:

- He allegedly hops to different sections throughout the game - this is explicitly against ground rules. He needs to sit in/be in the vicinity of the seat he has purchased

- He carries around the opposing team's gear - why do this, other than for the possibility of personal gain?

As a fellow member of this site, I'd love for him to provide some explanation to the last point.

Deadspin's comments seems to echo my 9-1 ratio of hatred...though Deadspin allows profanity.

I don't think he'll be happy much longer...

Yeah Al, I have really enjoyed the Deadspin comments. They are fantastically funny. And I have enjoyed your comments on your blog. I would like to hear from HY here. I know he has posted here before, I just wonder if he will ever come back after all the comments people have had here.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Regardless of how you feel about the issue, the Deadspin comments are hilarious. Not really kid friendly, but funny all the same.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I agree. Since it's Hy's property, obtained in a legal manner, it is unfair for Coghlan to ask for it back. It was never Coghlan's property. It ceased to be major league baseball property once it hit the stands.

You should re-read the post you quoted. He's saying it's out of line to ask that a third party (Ramirez) that has NOTHING to do with the situation at hand to surrender their personal property, and I agree.

Right, Im pretty sure that is what EVERY person here has objected to. The manner in which he acted is the appalling part, not the simple request for a trade.

I look forward to reading next Friday's edition of "Deadspin Deleted Scenes"...wouldn't be surprised if this leads to a hilarious email exchange between HY and Daulerio, re: taking down the post.

"I think there is a difference between approval and acceptance of different ideals."

I alluded to this earlier in one of my posts...but I asked of those who accept his actions, "Do you really think it's cool and admirable what he's doing?" No one has chimed in and said "Hell yeah sure it's cool, I'm going to start doing it too!" If you were a parent, would you want your kid seeing how this guy has acted and think that's something they should emulate?

"Since it's Hy's property, obtained in a legal manner, it is unfair for Coghlan to ask for it back. "

What? A player can't even ask for a special ball back? Considering how much precedent there has been for baseball players retrieving "monumental" baseballs, I think that's being naive.

Also, to those who say HY isn't depriving others of baseballs...say he's at batting practice, in the bleachers, and there's some kids around. They see this guy about twice their size running around up front, acting like he basically owns the place. Do you really think they have a fair chance to catch a ball? I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to do it, but when you're catching a dozen or so balls during a freaking batting practice, it's getting kind of obscene in my opinion. I think my moniker of "ball hog" is much more appropriate than this term "ball hawk" these guys seem to have given themselves.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It's been an interesting conversation. It seems to me that mostly everything has been said, but only a few seem to be considering HY's point of view. I too would be interested in HY's making a post here but after how the guy got flamed up, I'd think he may be a bit put off to say the least.

The guy is a ball hawk. Who gives a rip?

The guy HY asked for the bat from is a no name on a no name team who is probably forgotten by now. Don't look up at the thread title, and tell me the player's name, quick! Didn't think so.

Do you honestly believe that a guy who is sworn to uphold the law is going to go around knocking down children intentionally? What's next? HY is accused of grabbing a little girl by her pig tails and throwing her into the visiting bullpen for attention? Gimmie a break. The guy is obviously rather well known and would be booed mercilessly or confronted by security if he were tackling children. Show me proof he is a monster like that.

People go into scrums for balls. I don't, but people do. You know what's going to happen, yet you go. Don't cry if you get your shirt messed a bit.

It's been stated HY is a ball "hog". Look at where he gets the balls from. BP. Tell me the last time you hit the gates early and intentionally hunted down a BP ball. The only ones basically going into BP on a regular basis are all guys like HY. They dig it. Mostly, they get it signed and then sell it on ebay or in a shop. HY keeps his and shares with friends.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Do you honestly believe that a guy who is sworn to uphold the law is going to go around knocking down children intentionally?

No, but I'm pretty sure the people that brought that up have said it was inadvertent.

I also wouldn't expect someone that is sworn to uphold the law to steal baseballs from the bullpen.

I too would be interested in HY's making a post here but after how the guy got flamed up, I'd think he may be a bit put off to say the least.

. Don't look up at the thread title, and tell me the player's name, quick! Didn't think so.

Do you honestly believe that a guy who is sworn to uphold the law is going to go around knocking down children intentionally?

What's next? HY is accused of grabbing a little girl by her pig tails and throwing her into the visiting bullpen for attention?

HY keeps his and shares with friends.

1. I think dude is loving the attention. I'm not clicking on his blog because I'm sure the views count will soon be a bragging point.

2.Nothing like ripping a large group of members on the board I bet 90% of us could have answered that. Didn't think so? come off it

3.Being a cop doesn't make you a good guy in and of itself. There are plenty of cops that became one just for the sense of entitlement.

4.I don't think any one came even close to this and one poster admitted when he saw hy knock someone down it may have been inadvertant

5. Pretty much irrelavant in a thread concentrating on him not keeping or sharing a ball.

I admit the guy rubs me the wrong way. I dislike many of his tactics during game play. Buy a bleacher seat, sit in it, wear Brewers gear, and don't steal stuff when the ushers aren't looking. Then I'll listen to what a nice fellow with an unusual hobby he is.

>>Do you honestly believe that a guy who is sworn to uphold the law is going to go around knocking down children intentionally?

I don't think anyone said intentionally. But people - adults - who are larger than the kids around them should be more careful.

>>The guy is obviously rather well known and would be booed mercilessly or confronted by security if he were tackling children. Show me proof he is a monster like that.

He's been ejected from the stadium in the past for his actions when it comes to "ball hawking". But to be fair, you're right, it wasn't for "tackling childeren".

>>Tell me the last time you hit the gates early and intentionally hunted down a BP ball. The only ones basically going into BP on a regular basis are all guys like HY. They dig it.

I take my kids when ever possible. I stay out of the mix, but let the kids try. My oldest (11) has a few dozen balls. I also told him (back in 2007) that if he ever "pulls a HY", I'll stop taking him to the games. Seriously.

And to take this a step further, I posted something in this very site a couple of years ago stating as much (that I want my kids to be respectful of others - unlike HY) and HY sends me a PM trying to start something. Is that the proof your looking for? I'm sure the message is still in my box as I never deleted it.

>>Mostly, they get it signed and then sell it on ebay or in a shop. HY keeps his and shares with friends

Mostly? I think you are making a rather large assumption. There's not a real high demand on the secondary market for batting practice balls. Most people keep them or give them to kids/family. Batting practice balls (from Miller Park) regularly have a black stripe from a sharpie marker through the sweet spot. Again, not a lot of resale value for a signed BP ball with a random black stripe on it.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Sorry for repeat posts but this is it's own point.

He didn't catch that ball in the Tundra Territory. There is one row of seating in front of the tundra territory that is 100 level bleacher handicapped seating. I've sat in the TT and talked to the usher there about the seats. So while he didn't "grab a little girl by her pigtails." He did hammer past people sitting in a one row handicapped section.

(Edit: brucrustu asked to add the following to his post. Rather than reopen the thread, I offered to post it for him - hawing)

After learning of Nick's seating arrangement and his daughter's serious needs, I retract my "Hammer past" comment. Video replay shows he only ran past two people sitting in a one row handicapped section.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=4541473&c_id=fla

Just because someone is a cop, it doesn't make them a great person. There are plenty of bad cops, good cops and guys that fall in the middle - they are still people, just because they were a badge it doesn't make them a better person.

I'm not accusing HY of anything here - but let's not forget that cops are still people, and just like any other profession, there are some good guys (and gals) and some bad ones.

He didn't catch that ball in the Tundra Territory. There is one row of seating in front of the tundra territory that is 100 level bleacher handicapped seating. I've sat in the TT and talked to the usher there about the seats. So while he didn't "grab a little girl by her pigtails." He did hammer past people sitting in a one row handicapped section.

Please be knowledgeable before spreading rumour. He did not hammer past people sitting in one row of the handicapped section. He WAS sitting in the middle of that said row of the handicapped section. He has a half season ticket package there due to the highly toxic peanut allergy of his daughter. The Brewers gave him that area as it is easiest to maintain the situation with just 5-6 people in that area who may/may not eat peanuts and spread the shells around as opposed to hundreds in a section. He did not just come out of a standing room only area, "HAMMER past people sitting in a handicapped section" and then run back to some other area. His assigned seat was two seats over from where the ball landed. As stated before, I don't agree with everything Nick does, especially wearing other teams paraphernalia to grab a dozen worthless bp balls from some bullpen catcher who isn't even on the roster, but let's try and stick to facts when slamming a guy, yeah and not make up what you think happened.

What are the chances that a 19 year old guy that used to sit in the handicap row to better increase his chances of catching a home run ball at County stadium would grow up to have a daughter that needed to sit in the handicap section (in prime home run territory) at Miller Park? I wonder if he see's the irony, or if it's just a happy coincidence in his eyes.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

91% of the poll takers on Ramblings thinks he's in need of help.

91% of Rambling's Readers are in need of help. I'd propose that instead of submitting people with stability issues to expensive doctors -- they should instead by tested by Rambling Reader Polls.

Al, man, you crack me up -- and I bet you didn't even mean to do that. You are a genius http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

it is unfair for Coghlan to ask for it back.

Coghlan should be able to ask for it back -- he shouldn't have to deal with getting jerked around.

Do you know for sure Coghlan won't turn out to be one of those guys who refuses to give anything to fans without a price?

I believe that in HY's blog he mentions Coghlan throwing him a ball in BP.

What are the chances that a 19 year old guy that used to sit in the handicap row to better increase his chances of catching a home run ball at County stadium would grow up to have a daughter that needed to sit in the handicap section (in prime home run territory) at Miller Park? I wonder if he see's the irony, or if it's just a happy coincidence in his eyes.

Valid thought. But unfortunately, it's true and she almost succumbed to the allergy upon her first encounter/discovery of peanuts. A valid thought you have though. Again, the merits of the whole situation are valid. I've already expressed my opinions. It's obvious that nobody is going to be swayed one way or the other despite how many examples of similiar behavior are out there. I just felt the need to set the record straight over the pompous fabrication of the "Hammer over the elderly comment".

Archived