Brewer Fanatic

The Happy Youngster Strikes Again? Coghlan's Home Run Ball Held for Ransom

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Looks like the person that caught Chris Coghlan's home run ball drove a hard bargain when asked to give it up. It was Goghlan's first HR ever. This reminds me of the time the Happy Youngster tried to get the equivalent of season tickets for Jenkins' 200th HR ball (or whatever it was). Is the Happy Youngster up to his old tricks?

Edit: Wow, I just read the comments under the story and it WAS The Happy Youngster. Way to make us brewer fans look classy! You really thought you could get a Hanley Ramirez signed bat for a Chris Coghlan HR ball??

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any idea how much crap Coghlan probably got from Ramirez if he asked him?

I'm sure Happy Youngster will be along shortly to give his version of the story.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

He does sound like quite the tool, but I don't think his demands were unreasonable. A couple bats, tickets, and a photo doesn't seem like too much to ask.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

He does sound like quite the tool, but I don't think his demands were unreasonable. A couple bats, tickets, and a photo doesn't seem like too much to ask.
As I said in the off topic forum, if he were asking for those things from Coghlan, and Coghlan only, then I'd agree, although I still think it would be asking for a lot. But to ask for signed memorabilia from another player (who he would have to go and ask), along with tickets for a team he doesn't root for, all the while wearing a Florida Marlins hat? That's crossing the line and is, in my humble opinion, blatantly dishonest. It gives all of us Brewer fans a bad rap.
Follow me on Twitter

Verified Member

Also being discussed here.

If you check out his blog, you'll find that he will do just about anything for a baseball, including changing into opponent team jerseys and using a glove and rope to snag baseballs from the bullpen when nobody is looking.

Is that suppose to be typed in blue? Personally I think that the demands were a little bit too much. Like they mentioned in the article, maybe if he was more respectful he would have actually got what he was asking for.

Honestly, I would have settled for a simple Photo with the guy, handing the ball over, and maybe a Ball or something. However, this part made my stomach turn.

Coghlan said he finally managed to drive down the asking price to the photo, an autographed ball and one of his signed bats. But when Coghlan handed over the goods, "he wouldn't give me the ball."

If you wanna make high demands, that's fine i guess. But to withhold the ball after what you agreed upon was handed over to you says a lot about the type of person HY is. Hopefully this isn't true, but from the stories i've heard, it probably is.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

This guy is a joke. Why didn't he ask for a ride on the team plane while he was at it? It's just a baseball. Some Brewer 'fan' this guy is. Next time he should just ask to be on the teams payroll when he gets a baseball.

I love how he claims to be the biggest Brew Crew fan, then changes into the opposing uniform. what a joke. The only non-brewer baseball gear i own is my Clemente jersey i bought at Cooperstown. And as much as I admire the man, I still wouldn't be caught dead at a Brewers v. Pirates game in it.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this. Coghlan stands to make millions, even if his career is short and unspectacular. It's hard for me to generate a lotta pity for the guy. On the other hand, what would I want? I dunno. The ball wouldn't mean very much to me. Truthfully, knowing me, I'd just give it to him, and mention that I would like to have some small memento of the occasion. A pic, ball, bat, jersey; whatever he felt appropriate.

If it were from a Brewer, I'd hold 'em up for the chance for my wife to meet Bernie. She has a bit of a crush....

The ball wouldn't mean very much to me.

This is the point. Does the ball mean that much to HY? I doubt it. It's pure greed...that and the Marlins gear. Coghlan will make a lot of money, but is that his fault? It's his first home run.

HY has no business being in any type of Brewer Fan Hall of Fame.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The money thing holds no water with me. That's like going out to dinner with a rich guy and expecting him to pay just because he has money.

Apparently, HY has nothing of nostalgic value in his possession.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wait, the Happy Youngster was wearing a Marlins cap while trying to squeeze this guy for merchandise, memorabilia, and tickets?

I think if so, like Pete Rose, that should get him banned from the Brewers Fan Hall of Fame.

the happy youngster normally wears the other team's hat to get a ball...there is this guy called zack hample that came to miller park in april for the pirates series...hample claims to be the best "ball hawk" in the game, and he says that he has some streak going for catching a ball at every game he goes too...he even wrote books that people actually buy about getting balls:

http://www.zackhample.com/

I guess he has almost 4,000 balls...and he truly is a loser, according to his blog, the "youngster" showed him around miller park, and of course he was wearing pirates stuff, the bottom of this post is kind of freaky with the guns:

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/04/42809_at_miller_park.html

Anyway, my point for posting this is that this guy "the youngster" and zack hample in my opinion are complete tools...They both, along with other people buy shirts and hats of other teams just to ask their players for balls...I personally have seen both of them shove people out of the way for balls, and I've seen the youngster push a kid out of the way...

it is scary to me that the guy is a cop

I totally agree with what most people are saying. This guys sounds like a jerk, and I was glad all the radio stations were ripping this guy today. I heard 2 different hosts talking about it, and neither of them had a good thing to say. If I was in that situation, I'd hold out for a bat or something. But I think it crosses the line when you ask for another players things. That's just ridiculous.

Yeah, on top of giving a guy a hard time on his first MLB homer ball, you ask for a different player's autograph? That's what made me scratch my head. I can't imagine what Coghlan must have thought about that.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow, this guy really is some kind of looser.

He has a blog about how he gets baseballs at games?

And he's actually a "grown up" with a kid.

Again, all I can say is...what a looser.

I have no problem with him asking for a lot in exhange for the ball. I wouldn't do it, but it's his right, and if he gets the moon, good for him.

But something with him switching jerseys and hats just really rubs me the wrong way. It would be a desperate stunt for anyone to pull, but for a guy with hundreds(thousands??) of souvenirs to his name, it's just plain pathetic.

this is the photo i was looking for, the guy on the right is zack hample, he goes around the country harassing people for balls, he has almost 4000, the one in the middle is at MP all the time, he always wears the other team's stuff, and the guy on the left is the youngster, they all shove people out of the way to get baseballs...i think they all have their own blogs too, i just can't believe that people actually buy the guy's books...

http://thehappyyoungster.mlblogs.com/Happy%20Shawn%20%26%20Zack%20on%20Pittsburgh%20TV.JPG

Edit: shrunk the pic --cc

Archived