Brewer Fanatic

What 2 A's relievers would Mench and Capellan get us?

Without looking at their contracts I was thinking Justin Duchscherer and Jay Marshall.

Is that too steep or not enough?

Duchscherer is at about 1.2 mil this year in salary, arby years in 08 and 09 and a free agent in 2010.

Marshall is near the minimum for 07 - 09 and arby years in 2010 - 2012.

Mench isn't going anywhere...who would platoon with Geoff, Vinny Rottino? You'd need to get a RH hitting OF back, and that doesn't make any sense. I thought Clark would be kept, but with Brady gone, Kevin's spot on the team is solidified.

I doubt the A's would be willing to trade any of their relievers. Street is kind of fragile, and Hardin is not really the healthiest of starters. if the y expec t t o compete , the y wil l need t o keep al l of their pitchers.

Your proposal was fair. i just don't see oakland going for it.

i think an additional problem is that oakland would not make any type of deal where they would be adding salary. So the brewers would have to eat $3 million of mench's salary. Oakland is not the team to try to unload mench and has salary.

if anybody's going to be shopped for relief help, I don't see it being Jenkins, I see it being Capellan+Graffy. When Braun gets here, there's no real reason to have Graffy anymore. I don't see it being Councell just because he can sub in at leadoff and be a backup at SS.

not that Graffy+Capellan is enough to net us a couple of relievers, but maybe one average one.

Archived