Brewer Fanatic

MIL recalls Mat Gamel, Brad Nelson designated for assignment

in the jsonline blog, Melvin said that there was no trade. doesn't necessarily mean that it's true, but i'd imagine that this is the end for Nelson.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they didn't call Gamel up just to be a pinch hitter......... and I hope they aren't trading Hall to make Gamel the everyday 3b, Gamel makes Brauny look like a gold glover.

Maybe it is just to DH for the 3 upcoming series....... seems odd they would bring him up this early though.

Yeah southpaw the more I think about it, as good as Hall has been to start the year, if they can unload his contract and get something for him it would be a good trade. You'd just hate to see him struggle for 2 years, figure it out, then trade him and he goes on to be a .280 30 hr third baseman that actually does hit right handers too. I'm not as much worried about what the move will be as much as I'm dying to find out what is going on. I'd be less excited to find out that Brad Nelson is DFA'd and Gamel is going to sit the bench.

There is no such thing as holding down a superb bat. Period.

Good Mat, good for his new wife and daughter, and good for the Gamel family.

X, there was some back and forth about the elbow and if Mat made it clear how hurt he was, he insists he tried but wasn't taken seriously. Normally on the he said/she said type stuff I'm going to side with the organization. With their recent record of ineptitude in the injury dept I'm going to side with Mat figuring that he was either dismissed or misdiagnosed.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Gamel makes Brauny look like a gold glover.
I sincerely hope people stop posting this opinion because it's not based on anything factual, and has been consistently refuted time and time again.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Crew,

Gamel does not make Braun look like a gold glover. Gamel hasn´t even had an error in about three weeks and he has much better range than Braun.

By all accounts he is a much better 3b than Braun.

I'm pretty sure he had a throwing error in the last week. (#8)

Comparing Brauny to Gamel in general just seems off base. I'm sure some people have seen Gamel in person, but most are just looking at his error totals instead of mechanics which isn't a great indicator at talent.

Can we call him Mat the Bat? Or is that too lame and/or derivative? I think I want to call him that.
I called him "Mat the Batt" the other day. I think it makes the obvious a little more interesting by riffing on the odd spelling of his first name.

Conspriracy alert...

I've looked as the game has progressed and don't think I've notice Hall in the dugout yet. Anyone else seen him?

Never mind. My wife is now happy as I will no longer spew consipracy theories. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Wow, this is going to be very interesting. It just doesn't make sense though when they don't need a DH for another week and a half. I don't see them bringing Gamel up just for pinch hitting where he will only bat once a game. Even after the Minnesota series, they don't need a DH for 3 more weeks. It would be a deadly duo of Gamel/Hall though I would admit.

And I think Gamel is going to be wearing #24. He signed my bat in January with the #24 after it and my shoe this spring training with #24. He was also wearing #24 during spring training I believe.

Edit:

Hall is in the game. I am also glad I picked up a bunch of Mat Gamel autographed cards the last couple weeks to resell for this very moment!

I am thinking that it could be McGehee that is sent down. With Counsell and Hall thriving, we're covered at 2b, 3b, and SS. Adding Gamel to the mix could allow Nelson to remain

I am thinking that it could be McGehee that is sent down. With Counsell and Hall thriving, we're covered at 2b, 3b, and SS. Adding Gamel to the mix could allow Nelson to remain

That would leave Rivera as the only right handed bat on the bench, depending on who starts at 3rd.

Except having Gamel playing third most days would mean that Hall would be coming off of the bench.
Hall will always start versus LHSP, and thats when we would need a righthanded bat on the bench.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived