Brewer Fanatic

MIL recalls Mat Gamel, Brad Nelson designated for assignment

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What determines Super Two? Braun came up in May as well. It's different for each guy right?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sounds like they waited exactly long enough to delay his FA by a year and then called him up. I guess they believed in him more than most of us suspected. I wonder if he'll be going back down; the timing would seem to suggest not.

What determines Super Two? Braun came up in May as well. It's different for each guy right?

Of players with less than 3 years of service time and more than 2, the 20% (IIRC) with the most service time are Super Two and awarded arby. Braun was brought up on the 25th of May. I'm fairly certain the Super Two cutoff has never been as early at May 13th. I'm really not sure I like this move.

EDIT: If battlekow is correct, this move makes a bit more sense.

I'm surprised that they didn't at least wait until next week when he could instantly DH.

Given that this is happening a week before then, you have to assume they plan on keeping him up for good rather than just the stint of interleague games too.

Who's leaving? Nelson? McGahee?

I'll guess Nelson.

Theres a difference between the 2, Gamel has 28 days of service time because he was up last September. Now you know why the Brewers were so cheesed about him hiding that elbow injury. Had they known he was nursing an injury, they wouldn't have brought him up. Now that might cost us millions, but thats in the past.

I'm excited he's coming up, as we need another productive lefty stick. Notice that Florida is starting Chris Coglan in LF, he's a natural 3B who's never played the OF, and was just called up from AAA. Gamel can help us in alot of ways. We presently have the 3rd best record in the NL. We're a legit WS contender. Now lets finish the deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

At this point, success this season is more important than the few million this would cost the Brewers a couple years down the road. If Gamel wins just one or two games because of his success as a PH, that in itself could be worth the cost if the Brewers get to the playoffs this year.

As for bringing him up now, as opposed to for the Minnesota series and throwing him against ML pitching, I could see the Brewers wanting to break Gamel in a bit and ease his transition a little to the big leagues. IIRC, Gamel didn't spend much time with the Brewers last September because of an injury. I'm excited, he should be fun to watch.

Reading Melvin's comment this smells of either a trade, or *gulp* a suspension.
Geez dude, I never thought of that. Thats scary. Don't say that stuff out loud. Nah, nothing to worry about, our guys don't need extra help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

My guess is McGehee goes down when Gamel arrives, and Nelson is traded or released when Catalanotto is ready. I'm not sure if this is the right move or not, but it sure is exciting given the potential benefits that both these players may add to the team.

I'm not mad about this move. This is what they did with Fielder his first year, used a top prospect as a bench player and DH. I assume Gamel will get sent back down for a while after interleague is over (barring injuries). I wonder who leaves now though.

"I'm wondering if something is going on with Billy. Only because Counsell is starting today AND Gamel is coming up. Not that Counsell wasn't due for a start at third anyway."

I was thinking the same thing.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

It will be exciting to see Gamel, especially if he gets some decent playing time. This really smells of a trade of some sort, and if so it will be interesting to see who goes and for what.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I honestly don't care what the corresponding roster move is in relation to this. It's always excited to see a special player like Mat Gamel in the big leagues. I can't wait to see him in action! I wouldn't mind seeing him platoon with Billy the rest of the year. Yes, I know that Billy is hitting .283, but what people don't realize is that he is only hitting .215 vs. righties with 21 K's. He's hitting .444 against lefties with only 4 K's. The splits tell the story for me. If Billy can keep those numbers up, and Gamel vcan adjust to the pro game quickly, this could be one deadly combo for the rest of the year!

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived