Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Catalanotto to minor league deal

Nottso

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we picked up another LHB that can't hit lefties for our bench?

Hooray? I guess?

I feel bad for Brad Nelson. Had that ball gone an extra 4 feet in Cincinnati he probably wouldn't have been signed.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Why?
If you're asking why we signed him, I guess they've ran out of patience with Nelson.

If you're asking why I thought he'd play on the Brewers - in short, he's one of Melvin's guys from Texas. I also correctly predicted the Kapler signing, but an offseason too soon.

Wow, all my favorite unsung lefty bats are ending up in Milwaukee:Durham, Lamb, now, The Cat. His numbers have fallen badly the two years, especially on the road. Don't know how much is left, but if he can hit .750 OPS as a PH, that's pretty good. Can really only play LF and 1B.

Hate to see them give up on Nelson, but maybe he'll stay in the organization. On the other hand, it could be McGehee that goes....with Counsell and Hall playing well, Casey has nowhere to play.

And after I just spent time defending Nelson in the Transactions forum...

I'm really surprised to see this move. The only move that makes sense is Cat over Nelson, which as best I can tell means that Brad will likely get claimed if/when the Crew tries to pass him through waivers & send him to Nashville.

On the other hand, maybe this is a sign that DM & Co. were able to work out a trade in order to get something in return for Nelson? In any event I really don't like the move if it means we will basically have to sign LHB vets to shore up the bench for the next 2-3 seasons instead of just hanging onto Nelson.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

probably 5 years too late, i remember when this board was obsessed with us getting him. I wish we would get a righty to play off the bench. Feel bad for Nelson, I wonder if we DFA him if he will clear waivers.

If this report is correct, the earliest he joins the Brewers is June 1. Who knows what happens with the bench at that point. Maybe all the bench guys come around. Maybe someone gets injured. He's no more than an insurance policy. If he can't hack it in AAA, this could end up like the the Jeff Weaver experiment. The idea about releasing Nelson is pure speculation on Rosenthal's part.

I do think there is something to say about having someone of his experience on the bench.

joepepsi wrote:

His numbers have fallen badly the two years, especially on the road. Don't know how much is left, but if he can hit .750 OPS as a PH, that's pretty good. Can really only play LF and 1B.

Last season he had much better numbers on the road, .799 road OPS, and .684 home OPS. Also the only positions Nelson can play are 1b and LF. I also would rather have a guy that can play more positions, but I think he could be a very positive addition to our bench.

I've got a buddy who has known Frank's family for years...everyone on Long Island is turning cartwheels over this news.

I'm for it...why not? There's not much risk in it, and he may prove to be a solid pinch-hitter.

I've got a buddy who has known Frank's family for years...everyone on Long Island is turning cartwheels over this news.

I'm for it...why not? There's not much risk in it, and he may prove to be a solid pinch-hitter.

I just spoke to a friend of mine in Long Island and he hasnt seen one cartwheel being turned as of yet. If he sees one I will pass on the news.

I am 100% with sbrylski in that this move, to me, felt like it would definately happen at some point in time. Lately, consensus seems to have been that Brad Nelson would be claimed if put through waivers. What does everyone think the odds are with Brads slow start (given the small sample) that maybe he passes through? Does the timing of putting him through in mid-may as oppsed to early april increase the chance he goes unclaimed? Of course, he still would have to accept the assignment, to my understanding.

Nice bklyn.

Anyway, I don't mind this move. I was worried about the Jay Gibbons signing last year but nothing ever came of that. Plus, the bench doesn't have many good players on it this year so I won't have to worry about Catalanotto possibly taking someone's job. I remember back in 2001 when it looked like Frank was going to steal the batting title from Ichiro. He faded a little the last couple weeks but that was still his best year.

Nobody's going to claim Brad Nelson. Teams aren't looking for AAA first basemen with no record of major league success on their major league rosters. Yes he might wish to find a job in another organization and if he does, so be it as he was never going to be an everyday player for the Brewers. Nelson produced numbers at AAA last year that one would expect from a 1st baseman. They were nothing special. He had a hot spring. He has no record of major league success otherwise and he's 26. He had to hit to keep his job. Is that tough given his circumstances? Sure, but he's been around long enough and once you're on a roster, you have to produce. Had Nixon had a decent spring, no way Nelson would have made the team over Nixon.

Catalanotto's a career .292 hitter who's never hit below .269 or posted an OBP under .325. He might be a bit past his prime but only his slugging showed much of a dropoff last year. He certainly deserves a major league roster spot as soon as his timing is down.

As for his defense? How much defense has Nelson played this year? His job is going to be to get some hits late in games and maybe give Hart a day off once in a while. Rosenthal is absolutely right about them needing a lefthanded bat off the bench. Duffy and Nelson are a combined 3 for 48. Duffy at least provides defense.

Why is everyone thinking it's to replace Nelson?? It very well could mean the end of Chris Duffy.

Duffy could well be in trouble at some point but not from Catalanotto. He's got a little more extensive experience and a good glove in a defensive position. But even he's going to have to get some hits or they might take another look at Gwynn who's producing (.314/.393/.398)at his best ever rate in AAA. Gwynn may not be a big upgrade, but he has the advantage of playing every day.

Why is everyone thinking it's to replace Nelson?? It very well could mean the end of Chris Duffy.

Because Duffy can play every OF position well, can do some things on the base paths (if he gets on), and has at least had a couple big walks.

I'll agree with the others, Duffy can play CF and is a viable defensive replacement while Nelson gives you the same basic skill set as Catalanotto. I'd be shocked if it was Duffy that goes down and not Nelson.

However on the other hand I'll say that Nelson has looked better hitting than Duffy. Duffy has swung at a ton of really terrible pitches. Nelson has shown pretty good strike zone judgment but has had problems actually making contact with the ball when he does swing and has displayed warning track power instead of HR power. At this point I'm pretty sure that with 500 AB that Nelson would put up better stats than Duffy, but Catalanotto very well might put up better stats than either of them.

I guess the more depth the better, but I'm not seeing a great fit here. If Catalanatto was right-handed, different story. I just can't imagine Nelson and Catalanatto being on the roster at the same time unless this is a precursor move. Maybe it's a Durham-esque type of move to give Nelson (Weeks) a kick in the butt? It seems unlikely, but I'm hoping, along with most others here, this doesn't mean the end of Brad Nelson.

Archived